Join Early Retirement Today

Ok............Emigrant Direct, Vanguard, or who else for a good rate on $10,000?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ok............Emigrant Direct, Vanguard, or who else for a good rate on $10,000?

No CD's...........ideas

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ok............Emigrant Direct, Vanguard, or who else for a good rate on $10,000?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Re: Ok............Emigrant Direct, Vanguard, or who else for a good rate on $10,000?

I picked Vanguard Prime MM. It's easy to move to one of my Vanguard funds or to my checking account. I see no reason to go to ED.

Other places to look are Citibank, HSBC, CapitalOne which all have online savings accounts in fives, I think.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

E-loan.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Ok............Emigrant Direct, Vanguard, or who else for a good rate on $10,
Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Ok............Emigrant Direct, Vanguard, or who else for a good rate on $10,

Financedude,

The vanguard account is a good one to have if you also have other accounts at vanguard since you can shift money easily without waiting a couple days for money to transfer to buy new securities.

Where's the $10,000 from? Bonus time?!! We just got the $3000 annual match for DW's 401k dropped on us out of the blue yesterday. Nice little surprise!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #5

I have also been using eloan...and 2nd HSBC....Eloan only allows you to link 1 external account but apparently can start a 2nd account.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm, how times change...I went with Emigrant about a year or so ago and it seemed like likes of folks here did also...

I have had no problems whatsoever with Emigrant. I go online, request a transfer every month to checking and it shows up in about 1-2 days...they did drop from 5.15 to 5.05.

Just curious if I have missed a big reason to switch to another online resourse??

Thanks...Ted
Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Where's the $10,000 from? Bonus time?!! We just got the $3000 annual match for DW's 401k dropped on us out of the blue yesterday. Nice little surprise!
No, not a bonus.........life insurance policy from sister.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

These are all great places to stick your ST cash and they are all generally pretty safe etc. I doubt that it is such a good idea to chase ST interest rates that are only 5-10 pb more than another MMF or online bank.

Chose one. Stick with it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eloan savings is at 5.5%: www.eloan.com

Presidential checking is at 4.5%: www.presidential.com

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I agree with mickeyd...chasing an extra .10 to .40 percent is just not worth it with less than 70K in the account. I plan to draw about 30K/year from this account while phasing retirement and I keep second guessing having a 1-2 two year CD, but again, for the few percentage points difference, this is totally liquid, easy to access, and no complaints...

Thanks again for all the wisdom here...Ted
Old 11-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #11

GMAC Bank is...........5.3 APY on MM Savings
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #12

it certainly doesn't make much sense (but does make some cents) to chase MM yields if the differential is minimal, but the rate leaders do evolve ... ING, Emigrant and Virtual bank are no longer the first choices they once were! point: you can't stick with one bank for ever, need to anticipate some evolution if you wish to get near-best returns. that said, VMMP is a clear all-things-considered winner.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #13

I think $10,000 is about what I still have in my Emigrant account. I did have more, but then I paid down the HELOC once the interest rates started shooting up, and also paid off a car loan.

I've been happy with them. It's interesting though, how things change. I don't think I'm going to start chasing money market yields unless I get a substantial amount back in there.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I paid down the HELOC once the interest rates started shooting up, and also paid off a car loan
Excellent move Andre. Why pay interest to banks while you earn much lower rates on your cash?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
E-loan.
E-loan is playing an interesting game:

15 Year Fixed Mortgage 5.625%
1 Year CD 5.55

They must expect rates to drop in the future.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #16

My Emigrant transfers show up the same day in my Schwab checking account. No waiting.

Tags
vanguard