Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Ok, so its not 'fire and money'
Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
OMG, I would never say this around but the best of friends, wife watches a lot of TV, the only one I watch, except for news, sports & movies, is...Beauty & The Geek. Its a hoot. Common, there must be a few board reading geeks who watch it.
I meant to start watching it, but never got around to it. The basic concept seems like it would make for good entertainment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess that "popular" culture left me somewhere far, far behind (although I see myself as far, far ahead) nothing has continued to captivate my attention over the years like The Andy Griffith Show. Great family entertainment with a good moral lesson in each show. Thank you TV Land!!!

Other than the other great '60's classics that I grew up with I do enjoy some of the following despite reflections of current moral decay:

Discovery Channel:
  • Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs". This is hilarious and I always seem to learn something about the people who make civilized life possible for the rest of us.
  • "Myth Buster's": Always seem to learn something new here too. Who'd have thought that I'd get better gas mileage by leaving the tailgate "up" on my pick-up truck but they proved it so.

Fox News Channel Yeah, I know that there's no middle ground when it comes to news sources for most of us but this is my favorite. I've always been a current events junkie and I believe that Fox has revolutionized this business in taking the "boring" out of delivery... and the ratings agree with me because they consistently beat the holy crap out of all the "other" cable news channels combined. There's always plenty of liberal vs conservative news analysis and debate... really gets one to thinking without putting me to sleep like PBS is so capable of doing.

Re: OK, so its not 'fire and money'
Old 01-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #23

Re: OK, so its not 'fire and money'

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike
I like flip this house. When they buy them cheap and redo them in 10 days and make big money, I get that warm tingle feeling all over my body.
I've seen that twice and it was the same show both times. I wasn't clear if it was a series. I'd like to see more - that's my kind of entertainment.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #24

Quote:
and I believe that Fox has revolutionized this business in taking the "boring" out of delivery... and the ratings agree with me because they consistently beat the holy crap out of all the "other" cable news channels combined. There's always plenty of liberal vs conservative news analysis and debate... really gets one to thinking without putting me to sleep like PBS is so capable of doing.
Absolutely! - And you would also have to assume that the 'Best' Food in the entire World is served by McDonalds - Judging by the sheer number of their restaurants!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird

Fox News Channel ... and the ratings agree with me because they consistently beat the holy crap out of all the "other" cable news channels combined.
Bible belt conservatives have nothing better to do with their free time than watch TV?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Absolutely!* - And you would also have to assume that the 'Best' Food in the entire World is served by McDonalds - Judging by the sheer number of their restaurants!
It may be the "best" for the price. Not sure.

JG
Old 01-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #27

I have a hard time sitting through all of the dam commercials and rather rent dvds. Right now watching the first seasons of LOST, House, Scrubs, and old MacGuyver episodes....Season 4 is "in stereo where available".
Old 01-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhmen
Bible belt conservatives have nothing better to do with their free time than watch TV?
I'm from the south and I often wonder just who are these so-called "Bible belt conservatives" that the liberal media has once again so mis-labeled to an entire region and fed as "Jim Jones" kool-aid to the mind-numbed masses... I suppose, once again, they are referring to some segment of their own idealogical imagination which only incites divisivness instead of unity.

But then again, what does this have to do with ratings that are polled from "sea to shining sea". Perhaps you must consider the Ted Kennedy liberals as part of the "Bible belt conservatives" ? *
Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Favorite shows:
  • "Daikaizo, Gekiteki Before/After," featuring extreme house renovations
  • "Dream House," which usually features people trying to build some unusual dwelling on a very limited budget
  • "Sono toki rekishi ga ugoita," (~when history was made), covering pivotal moments in Japanese history (usually illustrated with great CG and/or archival footage)
  • "Project X," featuring the stories of how various Japanese inventions, projects and product developments (like the camcorder, instant ramen, or the "washlet" bidet toilet, e.g.) came about
  • Most any other kind of historical, archaeological, sociological, etc. documentary that NHK produces
  • "Gaia no yoru," which features people currently trying to overcome some business/marketing challenge (how to make more appealing vending machine drinks than their competitors, how to develop and sell new food items to sell at convenience stores, etc.)
  • The occasional historical drama
  • Various news shows
  • For American content, I like to browse "The Daily Show" via the video snippets on their website.

Bpp
Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird
But then again, what does this have to do with ratings that are polled from "sea to shining sea". Perhaps you must consider the Ted Kennedy liberals as part of the "Bible belt conservatives" ? *
Little secret: I find right wing talk radio to be repugnant (that is putting it as politely as I can). I still listen frequently in the car. Why? The "irritainment" keeps me awake.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Little secret: I find right wing talk radio to be repugnant (that is putting it as politely as I can). I still listen frequently in the car. Why? The "irritainment" keeps me awake.
I guess someone needs to tell you this. You are being brainwashed into becoming a closet Republican.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot House. good stuff. Also forgot the Food channel...almost all of it.

setab
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I watch $40 a Day on the food network.*

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rachel_ray9_d[1].jpg (8.4 KB, 64 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb rachel_ray9_d[1].jpg_thumb (41.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-26-2006, 01:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Hah...Fark.com ran a "which tv food network star would you like to see lit on fire?".

Rachel Ray was slightly edged out by Bobby Flay.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #35

Emeril
Old 01-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Have you ever looked at some of the stuff emeril makes on tv and said "I'm glad nobody's gonna eat that...". I saw him slap some stuff together and whip it up and dump it on a plate and said "theres no way that was actually cooked enough to not kill someone". :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Have you ever looked at some of the stuff emeril makes on tv and said "I'm glad nobody's gonna eat that...".* I saw him slap some stuff together and whip it up and dump it on a plate and said "theres no way that was actually cooked enough to not kill someone". :P
Funny you should say that. DW used to work at a chef school. One of her colleagues actually went to an Emeril filming and had the chance to taste the stuff he made - awful.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My other favorite is when (any of them, pick one) says..."Now lets add about two tablespoons of oil/wine/whatever to this..." and then they pour about 2 or 3 cups in. I watched one guy say "a splash of wine..." and poured in half the bottle...
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Hah...Fark.com ran a "which tv food network star would you like to see lit on fire?".

Rachel Ray was slightly edged out by Bobby Flay.
Who gives a rip what Fark.com thinks. Rachel is just darn cute!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #40

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote