OPM data breach – what should you do?

DH is a retired fed with TS security clearance. He had his most recent background investigation done less than five years ago. In the past two weeks, we all (DH, DDs, and I) have received our letters from OPM. The wording is slightly different for employee/spouse/dependent. Mine says:

"If you applied for a position or submitted a background investigation form"...this stuff may have been compromised.

"If your information was listed on a background investigation form by a spouse or co-habitant"...this subset of stuff may have been compromised.

Poor DD2. When she got her letter, she was worried that she had messed up again and someone had access to her bank account (six years ago she got fooled by a scammer and gave out her bank logon info). She was sure DH was going to blame her for the breach.

"If your information was listed on a background investigation form by a spouse or co-habitant"...this subset of stuff may have been compromised.

You are right, I see that paragraph now. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks. I guess I'll just sign him up and wait until the end of December to see if I get one. (They said three months in early October.) I am already on the one year monitor but husband isn't.

DS worked one summer at the CDC. His employer was a contractor, but he got his letter Friday from OPM. BTW, he just got his first full time j*b to start next week, hope nothing happens during his pre hire background check😳😱

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

DW and I both got our letters today. She was a federal employee over a decade ago and I worked for a federal contractor and had to have a security clearance.

Oh well.

What worries me most is the fingerprint information. At some point, who knows? Someone could use a 3D printer or some such, and plant phony fingerprints on a crime scene, or get into your accounts with a phony fingerprint scan. Seems unlikely, but you never know if someone might want to frame up someone else.

Yup, DH (the spouse) and I (the fed) got ours a few days ago. He'll be signing up - I did back in the summer....

I just got my letter. I thought I was safe since I never worked for the US government but I probably got caught with the 22m other background checks.

It's really annoying because the only reason I had the background check done was so that I could meet with some collaborators at Ames. At the time, it was locked down to all non-US citizens. By the time I was cleared, the project was already over.

Back
Top Bottom