Ouch! Tick-tock...

Vanguard policy of not being able to buy-back in 60 days is only for online or telephone buybacks. You can send a letter of instruction by mail and buyback without problems. So several of the statements in this thread are not quite valid.

Vanguard policy of not being able to buy-back in 60 days is only for online or telephone buybacks. You can send a letter of instruction by mail and buyback without problems. So several of the statements in this thread are not quite valid.

You are apparently correct. It wasn't clear in the previous link I found, but I just found this other link:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/Va...Views/news_ALL_tradingpolicy_07052005_ALL.jsp

I quote:

"If you sell shares of a fund—with certain exceptions—by phone or on Vanguard.com®, you cannot buy shares in the same fund for the same account by phone or online within 60 calendar days. However, you can repurchase shares within 60 days by mailing us a check. This rule includes sales and purchases made by exchange."

It's incorrect to assume the wash sale rule only applies to taxable accounts. If you sell a stock in a taxable account to harvest losses, then buy the identical security in your IRA (or another account you control, such as your spouse's), the IRS will disallow the deduction.

Wash Sales and Your IRA

It's incorrect to assume the wash sale rule only applies to taxable accounts. If you sell a stock in a taxable account to harvest losses, then buy the identical security in your IRA (or another account you control, such as your spouse's), the IRS will disallow the deduction.

Wash Sales and Your IRA

How would the IRS know since the purchase within your IRA is not reported? (Of course I would never, ever, not even once take advantage of the IRS not knowing something!)

The IRS would only know if they audited you and you told them in the audit. I have never heard of anyone actually being "caught" on a wash-sale except for the one case that led to the link posted by soupcxan.

Back
Top Bottom