Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in the middle of boucing back and forth with VEU vs VEA + VWO as well as DLS vs GWX. The Vanguard rules for MF's is one of the reasons I went with the ETF's. 2008 looks to be a VERY good year for TLH.

DD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Oy - that looks pretty cut and dried. Thought at first it might be like the 30 days before,30 days after w/ no transactions wash sale rule. Might still give it a shot - try and buy back in after 30 days, if prevented hold my breath and hope and buy back in 60. That would still be before the euphoric market surge i have scheduled for early November.
Really doubt i was spoken to on the very good customer basis. I mean, i have a nice voice and i'm polite and a heck of a nice guy, but VG doesn't have much of our money. Matter of fact, we don't have very much of our money either!
For sure the website won't let you buy back before the 60 day period ends (I know from experience). So if you want to buy back after only 30 days, you may want to try your luck on the phone with a live representative!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #23

Dang I love it when I post the right info in the wrong thread!!! Sorry
Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
FTSE all world ex-US fund is down almost 20% for us since January of this year. I'm thinking that means it would have to come back up 25% to get to where we started. Strongly thinking of selling today and buying back in a month. Don't really think the fund is going to bounce up 25% in a month. Lock in a little tax loss and buy back at a cheaper point. Would you consider the same on way down funds? Reasons not to do so? All our funds are in taxable accounts
So, how would you feel if it was up 7% or 10% in a month? How about swapping into something similar but not equivalent (from a tax perspective)?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
So, how would you feel if it was up 7% or 10% in a month? How about swapping into something similar but not equivalent (from a tax perspective)?
Amused? If i buy back in when it's gone up 10% i'll still have saved $1000 in taxes 9 months from now, the same number of shares will cost $1600 more than I sold them for, and any movement the stock makes up from there will be profitable rather than it having to go up another $2400 to get into profit territory. Talking about a $20k starting investment back in January. I've been pretty patient and watched it ratchet down over the last 8 months. Good idea on the similiar fund purchase swap - i'm guessing swapping into the ETF is not gonna pass IRS muster though... Hmm.
The good thing is that i'm not playing with big numbers yet - liable to spend more on fuse box to breaker panel conversion and swapping in tankless gas water heaters over the next couple weeks than we started with in VFWIX. Now that's exciting!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard policy of not being able to buy-back in 60 days is only for online or telephone buybacks. You can send a letter of instruction by mail and buyback without problems. So several of the statements in this thread are not quite valid.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Vanguard policy of not being able to buy-back in 60 days is only for online or telephone buybacks. You can send a letter of instruction by mail and buyback without problems. So several of the statements in this thread are not quite valid.
You are apparently correct. It wasn't clear in the previous link I found, but I just found this other link:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/Van...052005_ALL.jsp

I quote:

"If you sell shares of a fund—with certain exceptions—by phone or on Vanguard.comŽ, you cannot buy shares in the same fund for the same account by phone or online within 60 calendar days. However, you can repurchase shares within 60 days by mailing us a check. This rule includes sales and purchases made by exchange."
Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #28

It's incorrect to assume the wash sale rule only applies to taxable accounts. If you sell a stock in a taxable account to harvest losses, then buy the identical security in your IRA (or another account you control, such as your spouse's), the IRS will disallow the deduction.

Wash Sales and Your IRA
Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
It's incorrect to assume the wash sale rule only applies to taxable accounts. If you sell a stock in a taxable account to harvest losses, then buy the identical security in your IRA (or another account you control, such as your spouse's), the IRS will disallow the deduction.

Wash Sales and Your IRA
How would the IRS know since the purchase within your IRA is not reported? (Of course I would never, ever, not even once take advantage of the IRS not knowing something!)
Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The IRS would only know if they audited you and you told them in the audit. I have never heard of anyone actually being "caught" on a wash-sale except for the one case that led to the link posted by soupcxan.