Part Time Work and Insurance

AlmostDone

Recycles dryer sheets
My husband and I will not have pensions or health benefits when we retire early. We'd both like to do some part time - maybe seasonal work - for a few years. If we take part time jobs with health benefits for a few months, then decide to take a few months off, then repeat the process, will we be able to use COBRA from the part time jobs?

Whether you are part time or not does not affect COBRA eligibility. But there are issues nevertheless. One is whether the employer offers insurance to part time employees. Many don't or require you to pay more. Another issue is that seasonal jobs often do not have a health insurance benefit.

Employers who employ 20 or less do not have to comply with COBRA, but there might be a state "mini-COBRA" that would apply. California for example has a miniCOBRA law. Some employers do not have to comply with COBRA, but I am not remembering right off hand who is exempt. I do think churches are exempted.

If you move away from the insurance plan's service area you may lose your insurance eligibility under COBRA.

There may be other "gotchas" as well but these are what come to mind.

You may not be eligible for COBRA if you:

Don't enroll in 60 days after losing health coverage or getting a COBRA notice
Work for a church or church related association or college
Don't notify the administrator in 60 days after a divorce or separation
Don't pay the first premium in 45 days after electing
Move outside of your COBRA plan's coverage area
Old employer doesn't notify the administrator in 30 days of your termination or reduced hours
Get medicare, without contacting the administrator
Weren't in a group plan
Have private health insurance
Have a policy through an association
Are terminated for gross misconduct
Are a federal employee
Employer had under 20 employees
Are located in Washington DC

http://www.cobrahealth.com/noteligableoffered.htm

Martha, this is great information - thankyou! It is a Church organization that I'm thinking of, but it is run by the Archdiocese and I would think they comply with COBRA. But, I'll certainly check.

Back
Top Bottom