Join Early Retirement Today

PenFed - How to move money efficiently to Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab?
Old 11-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

PenFed - How to move money efficiently to Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab?

I know a lot of us have PenFed CDs maturing soon. I have a whopper (for us, $xxx,xxx.xx) maturing in late December and 2 more in late February 2019. I have them going into our savings account at maturity. I am thinking of moving the first one to Vanguard VMMXX till I make a Decision on what to do with it. It is Cash as opposed to an IRA. We do not have a checking account at Vanguard.

I guess I have some questions, before I break down an call both institutions:

1) Does an ACH Transfer have a limit on the amount of funds that can be moved into Vanguard, when initiated from Vanguard?
2) Should I set up the Vanguard external account in anticipation of the move
so Vanguard can suck the money out, as PenFed has a $5k push limit?

I do not want to lose too many days with no returns once it matures. I assume some folks here would have experience with this type of thing?

Thanks in Advance for your thoughts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I have encountered no ACH transfer limits when initiated from Fidelity to PenFed - well Fidelity has a $100K limit per transfer/day with external accounts.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
1) Does an ACH Transfer have a limit on the amount of funds that can be moved into Vanguard, when initiated from Vanguard?
From Bogleheads:
Quote:
I don't know if you mean ACH transfers to Vanguard or in general. But I had to transfer the proceeds of a CD to Vanguard (in excess of 100K). I wondered if there was a limit so I called Vanguard. The rep said the 100K was "well within" their transfer limits.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
What is the maximum amount I can transfer?

There is an incoming and outgoing transfer limit of $5,000 per day and $50,000 per rolling 30 day period for transfers you initiate at PenFed.

If you would like to deposit more funds into your account please contact your other bank and send us a Wire or initiate a transfer at your other bank.

To withdraw more funds please initiate a transfer at your other bank, or call us to send a Wire.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks this was very helpful.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

And PenFed changed their rules back in 2015 re: penalties for cashing in those CD's early. No incentive to stay there any longer. Their rates are not as competitive as they used to be. We're gone from PF when these CD's mature.
MomintheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomintheSouth View Post
And PenFed changed their rules back in 2015 re: penalties for cashing in those CD's early. No incentive to stay there any longer. Their rates are not as competitive as they used to be. We're gone from PF when these CD's mature.
Where do you plan on going?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomintheSouth View Post
Same here. Gone when these mature in early Drcember. Pulling the funds either to Schwab or Ally. Both already connected to Pen Fed.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Won't know where they are going exactly until late December and we see what the Fed does and if there is further upward movement in CD rates. Credit unions generally have much better CD rates than banks or even brokerage CDs. Time will tell.
MomintheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My tentative plan is to have the proceeds from my PenFed IRA CDs go into my Penfed IRA savings account when they mature and then initiate a transfer with Fido or Vanguard to have them draw the total from PenFed and deposit it in my Fido or Vanguard IRA. Make sense?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Make sense?
Yep. That's also my plan.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am certainly thinking about it as the Author of this Thread.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:14 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

If you are planning to do this with Vanguard, do it well in advance. Vanguard does suck at this. I'm trying to set this up from Vanguard and another bank. So far, it's been a big fail. This is all because of Vanguard. It's been over a week and I'm still not able to even initiate the transfer yet.

I'm a big Vanguard fan, but, they are testing my loyalty with this.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
If you are planning to do this with Vanguard, do it well in advance. Vanguard does suck at this. I'm trying to set this up from Vanguard and another bank. So far, it's been a big fail. This is all because of Vanguard. It's been over a week and I'm still not able to even initiate the transfer yet.

I'm a big Vanguard fan, but, they are testing my loyalty with this.
The last time I did it to my regular daily use Credit union it was not too bad. But I will take your advice and initiate it today, I still have plenty of time.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OK I initiated the process today, I will report back when it is complete.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

OK That took all of 1 day to complete. All DONE as of 10:10am this morning. The experiences above must have had some other reasons causing the hold up.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Connexus 1-5 yr share certificates
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do y'all do with the accounts you're moving money from? Close them? If so, does that typically involve paperwork or are you able to do it online/over the phone?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
What do y'all do with the accounts you're moving money from? Close them? If so, does that typically involve paperwork or are you able to do it online/over the phone?
Don't really know. You need to keep $5 in the saving account. So if you take everything else out, I suppose you can call them and close it.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Any other PenFed members seeing a larger than usual volume of emails touting the programs, benefits and value of PenFed CU? I've received several such messages over the past few weeks, leading me to believe they are trying to stem the tide on the outflow of deposits as their great-at-the-time CD promotion from five years ago matures.

I say goodbye and good luck. Change your early termination policy back to something reasonable and I might reconsider.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Any other PenFed members seeing a larger than usual volume of emails touting the programs, benefits and value of PenFed CU? I've received several such messages over the past few weeks, leading me to believe they are trying to stem the tide on the outflow of deposits as their great-at-the-time CD promotion from five years ago matures.

I say goodbye and good luck. Change your early termination policy back to something reasonable and I might reconsider.
Yeah - that new early termination policy soured me good.

I have been getting a lot of emails from them.