Pension survivorship and GPO/WEP

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a pension and DW will get SS. The pension has a survivorship provision. Upon my demise, and when the pension benefits pass on to DW, does anyone know if her SS benefits will be effected/reduced because of WEP or GPO?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

That's a good question, and I'm in the same situation. I don't think the WEP or GPO will affect her SS, but I'll wait to see what others say. I'm a retired federal employee who is affected by WEP, and my wife is still working and is covered under SS. I elected the 100% survivor's benefit for her, which will give her 55% of my pension. I also have the same set-up for her under my military reserve retirement.

Last edited:
Yes, it will be interesting to see what others say on this topic. I can't believe that SS would consider a pension obtained as a survivorship benefit as an asset that would adversely impact a persons own SS payout, but that's the heart of the question.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It would not affect her social security. She worked and paid into social security. If it were the other way around and she died prior to you, then you would be affected by Government Pension Offset and most likely would not receive any social security on her record.

Back
Top Bottom