Planning for small (realistic) returns

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
At the same time, the return people can hope to earn on their assets has fallen, particularly for those who switch into bonds or annuities to guarantee a fixed income. The average yield on U.S. government, corporate and mortgage bonds stands at about 2.4%, while stock-market valuations suggest a long-term return of about 6%. At those levels of return, some 59% of people aged 56 to 62 will be at risk of not having enough money to cover basic living and health-care costs in retirement, estimates Mr. Van Derhei. If market returns are higher—8.9% for stocks and 6.3% for bonds—the picture isn't a lot better: The percentage at risk falls to about 47%.

Retirement articles on Yahoo's finance pages would be an endless source of amusement if only they weren't so scary.

I have a long way to go until retirement but i'm planning, for now, to save enough so that I can retire before 50 even if I only stay even with inflation for the rest of my life. I think anyone who's planning more than 3% above inflation for their overall portfolio should redo their planning.

I plug in 3% inflation and 4% return

With a portfolio of mostly shares and property, my working assumption is that the net yield will be my real rate of return over the long term.

I have no idea whether this will be sufficiently accurate for the purposes of my retirement planning but I have to go with something or I will be turning up to the office for much longer than I wish to.

If market returns are higher—8.9% for stocks and 6.3% for bonds—the picture isn't a lot better: The percentage at risk falls to about 47%.

I'd be so happy with these returns (assuming ~3% inflation) I'd be dancing in the street. :dance:

My spreadsheet plan assumes 3% return and 2.5% inflation. Anything better than that is gravey.:D

I'd be so happy with these returns (assuming ~3% inflation) I'd be dancing in the street. :dance:

Same here! I'd be content with just a 3% real across the portfolio, but I'd be dancing with the above!

You and me both but I don't see how the 6.3% for bonds could possibly happen over the longer term given that the yield to maturity for most non-investment grade bonds is already below this level.

If there are any investment grade bonds out there which have a YTM at or above this level I would be very interested in hearing about them.

Back
Top Bottom