Poll:Air Travel

How thrifty are you with air travel? (see explanations below)

• A. Too expensive to fly

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • B. Fly, but cheap

Votes: 42 17.1%
  • C. Fly coach

Votes: 112 45.5%
  • D. Sometimes First class

Votes: 65 26.4%
  • E. Always First class

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • F. No long trips

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love economy plus and occasionally splurge for first. I really feel like the plus is a nice middle ground on most flights. More leg room without the "fancy" meal.

I can deal with coach on short flights (1-2 hours), but I prefer economy plus or 1st class on longer flights (especially cross country, east coast to west coast).

We live in Central Europe so pretty much all of Europe is within a one or two day's drive. Trains are another reasonable alternative. All other travels are by air and always using Business Class. We shop around and have zero loyalty to any particular airline but look for the best comfort. Generally, these are long flights and we both have back trouble to Business Class has the lie down sleeping pods that make excellent traveling which otherwise would be miserable.

I traveled a lot for the US government and all were extremely long flights to wonderful places like Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Peru, etc. and could never fly other than coach. I also traveled a lot on military aircraft only rarely landing with the plane, and found the best sleeping was on cargo pallets. So, I really value my comfort on long flights. Business Class is only double the cost and it is worth it to me to not suffer. Having the additional baggage is a plus as is the excellent food. I could care less about the entertainment as I always bring my own. I travel with my Samsung phone with 3D goggles and ear buds so am isolated form the world when immersed.

I may have shared this story before but it is funny:

I had boarded and got into my seat. About halfway through the boarding process some guy comes up to me and, in a very crude way says: "Buddy, you're in my seat. Get up and move!" (I left out the F bombs)

I said: "2B? There must be some mistake"
"Yeah! I'll say there's a mistake. 2B! Now get out of my seat!"

Flight attendant comes along and explains to my newest best friend that 2B on his boarding pass is the gate number and that he's in 23D.

We flew from LA to New Zealand and Australia on Air Tahiti Nui.Not only was it the cheapest Air Fare, but we had to Lay over both way in Tahiti (Gee that was tough LOL). That way we broke the flight up into manageable segments

Hmmmmm - good tip!

We rarely fly commercial. And when we do it’s generally on the cheap. The only time we fly commercial is when we have to be somewhere at a certain time. Or if it’s west of the Rockies. The wife does not like to fly over mountains in our plane.

Otherwise we just take our own plane:).

This is the view last week on our return from New Orleans.

I don’t know why the pic is turned , but you get the idea.

Nice! I used to fly that way but the cost per hour got too high so I started only flying commercial (even Business is cheaper in the long run). Now I can't pass the medical so it is a fond dream of the past. I sail my small yacht instead or boring holes in the sky. Still not cheap but a lot of fun. I do miss flying though and get my fix with UAV's as often as possible.

Nice! I used to fly that way but the cost per hour got too high so I started only flying commercial (even Business is cheaper in the long run). Now I can't pass the medical so it is a fond dream of the past. I sail my small yacht instead or boring holes in the sky. Still not cheap but a lot of fun. I do miss flying though and get my fix with UAV's as often as possible.

It’s definatly not cheaper, but no TSA, and I enjoy it.

We flew from LA to New Zealand and Australia on Air Tahiti Nui.Not only was it the cheapest Air Fare, but we had to Lay over both way in Tahiti (Gee that was tough LOL). That way we broke the flight up into manageable segments

Yes, that's one option. The first time I flew to India on business, our department head offered us the option of Business Class, or Coach with an overnight each way en route at the company's expense. Depending on the airline, that might be London, Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt. I chose Coach with a stopover in London, did a little sightseeing as I got acclimated to the time zone changes, and saved the company thousands of dollars.

Even with my secure nest egg + 70 1/2 start of SSA payments, it's still painful for me to shake the lifetime LBYM mindset so I still fly using Spartan Coach. I'm going in a couple of weeks to China which I haven't done in 4 years. The flight will be an average of 25 hour
2 stopover trip so I'll be testing the durability of my aging body. I just can't see paying $5K to $6K for 1/2 day of comfort plus I have never been able to sleep on a plane or train. We'll be also going to Japan so I'll splurge on nice hotels and food. I guess I'll be a modified tightwad til I die.

+1 That's my problem too. I'll be flying Premium Economy to Japan this coming fall.

I would definitely consider that!

I was maybe 12 when we visited Tahiti.

Back
Top Bottom