Poll: Who is your primary broker?

Who is your primary broker? Highest % of your assets, but your call...

• AG Edwards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ameriprise

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Banc of America

• Edward Jones

• E-Trade

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fidelity

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • Merrill Lynch

• Morgan Stanley

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Schwab

Votes: 29 17.8%
  • Scottrade

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Smith Barney

• T Rowe Price

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • TD Ameritrade

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • UBS

• USAA Brokerage

• Vanguard

Votes: 52 31.9%
  • Wells Fargo/Wachovia

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
[EDIT] My bad. I didn't mean broker/brokerage in strict terms. Wherever most of your assets are, whether in mutual fund accounts or whatever. I'd edit the title if I could, though I don't know what term would have been universally understood.

Seems a few names come up most often here, but I couldn't find a (recent) poll.

Apologies if you fall into 'Other', I just used a list from a recent magazine article/survey that at least had the ones that I seem to hear most often here.

I thought about making it a multiple answer poll, but that could really skew the results. No easy way to get at this that I could figure - so I just used primary broker (I'd define it as highest % of your assets, but I am sure others will have definitions of their own).

Obviously you're under no obligation to disclose your answer(s) by way of reply.

It seems newer members often ask where "we" hold our assets - not that there's one right answer by any means.

Last edited:
I have a brokerage account at Vanguard but have never used it. I set it up earlier this year thinking I might buy some Guggenheim BulletShares but held off so far. I'm all in mutual funds for now.

One thing I will mention though. I plan to do a flip in my taxable mutual fund account to step up my basis at 0% capital gains rate between now and year end and I wanted to do two simultaneous transactions of a sell and buy, however you are precluded from doing that even though the money all stays within the fund as a result of the frequent trading rules. The Vanguard rep suggested that I do the sell in the MF account and the buy of the ETF version of the fund in the brokerage account and then transfer the proceeds of the sale in the MF account to the brokerage account to cover the settlement of the buy side as a workaround. The other thing he mentioned is that MF and brokerage accounts will be merged sometime in 2013 so once that happens other than owning the ETF version of the fund it would be seamless.

The ranking of my accounts from high $ to low $ is as follows.

Scottrade > Wells Fargo (DW's 401k custodian) > Ameriprise > Schwab > Treasury (I-bonds) > Vanguard.

Yes, I have a self-directed brokerage account at Ameriprise, and have not even talked to anyone there either. I am perfectly safe there (have been for 15 years), so do not worry about me. :)

Last edited:
Vanguard. Funds only.

Mostly Vanguard, although I also have substantial assets in the TSP.

Brokerage account - Interactive Brokers, Ameritrade (stocks only)
IRA - Ameritrade (stocks only)
401K - Merrill Lynch

Over many years, I've used eight of the firms on this list, plus a few more that are no longer around (Brown and Waterhouse come to mind) as well as Siebert.

With the exception of Brown (which was bought out by E-Trade), I have never been as delighted with anyone's service as I am with Fidelity. They absolutely rock, as far as I'm concerned.

TD Ameritrade > TSP

I was with TD Waterhouse for years prior to Ameritrade merger (and satisfied enough to stay with them).

I have never been as delighted with anyone's service as I am with Fidelity. They absolutely rock, as far as I'm concerned.

I won't be quite as effusive, but I will also say that Fidelity is a fine place. I don't trade much, just options quarterly in a Roth, and there there are no fees on the ETF I trade.

The rest is employer tax-deferred accounts that just sit there while everyone cries "WOLF!!".

I was going to vote "other", because most of my assets are in an employee retirement plan. The custodian is Prudential.

If this is for assets outside of employee plans, the answer is Scottrade.

Does Scottrade offer Vanguard Admiral shares?

I've been using Schwab since I left my full-service (full-fee) broker over 20 years ago (Raymond James, and before them, Merrill-Lynch). I've been happy with Chuck but they don't offer Admiral shares, so I've been considering switching to all Vanguard for a while but haven't gotten off the pot to do it.

I do like Schwab Bank's billpay service, which is likely why I haven't moved. No reason not to keep the bank account, a smallish brokerage account, and move the bulk to VG.

401k and 457b are with Fidelity. Smaller personal account with Vanguard.

I am at 70/30 Vanguard/Fidelity. As far as brokerage, I don't need the service - I am with mutual funds only except for some of my old company stock in a 401K with Fido.

Does Scottrade offer Vanguard Admiral shares?

I've been using Schwab since I left my full-service (full-fee) broker over 20 years ago (Raymond James, and before them, Merrill-Lynch). I've been happy with Chuck but they don't offer Admiral shares, so I've been considering switching to all Vanguard for a while but haven't gotten off the pot to do it.

I do like Schwab Bank's billpay service, which is likely why I haven't moved. No reason not to keep the bank account, a smallish brokerage account, and move the bulk to VG.

Could you just buy the ETF versions of the Vanguard funds you hold at Schwab and accomplish the same thing?

I voted Fidelity, but that is mostly due to our current and former employers using Fidelity for 401ks and the HSA. And they are one of a small handful that DW's employer allows us to maintain a brokerage account with, since she works for a regulated investment bank and they have strict compliance rules for investments.

By choice, our largest amount of assets are at Vanguard, held only in mutual funds.

Over many years, I've used eight of the firms on this list, plus a few more that are no longer around (Brown and Waterhouse come to mind) as well as Siebert.

With the exception of Brown (which was bought out by E-Trade), I have never been as delighted with anyone's service as I am with Fidelity. They absolutely rock, as far as I'm concerned.
What are the features you like at Fidelity?

Ameriprise (self directed/no broker) > Wells Fargo > Fidelity

I used to be with Scottrade, but moved on to Ameritrade, when I could not transfer money from my bank via ACH. Do they allow that now?
Yes. They use Money Direct for same day transfers to the Scottrade brokerage account.

What are the features you like at Fidelity?

The layout of the website.
The variety of things I can do online at their website.
The mobile app.
The ability to trade on other exchanges in the local currency.
The reports.
The research available.
The great customer service when I need it.
The more sophisticated trading platform they make available.
and on and on ...

Back
Top Bottom