Join Early Retirement Today

Portfolio withdrawal strategies compared
Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Portfolio withdrawal strategies compared

This was just published in the Journal of Financial Planning. They argue based on the spread between the trailing E/P and bond yields retirees in 2008 should live off equities. Yes counter to conventional wisdom. Makes no sense to me so hopefully smarter people then I can figure it out.

When Does a Bonds-first Withdrawal Sequence Extend Portfolio Longevity?

Quote:
These findings have practical implications for retirees in 2008. The spread of stocks' long-term earnings yield over bond yields is +0.63 percent at the time of this writing, indicating that stocks' expected return and the equity risk premium are near historical lows. If the E10/P − Y indicator remains as reliable as it has been in the past, it is unlikely that investors retiring in 2008 who choose a bonds-first withdrawal strategy will significantly extend the longevity of their portfolios compared with investors who maintain a 50/50 stock/bond mix. Investors retiring now who choose to consume bond wealth first will most likely expose themselves to the volatility of an all-equity portfolio for little additional reward.
DD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Similar discussion going on at Bogleheads, too. There was an article (June 07, I think) which tested the general strategy (bonds first) with results strongly supporting that approach. It is also what Lucia does with his buckets plan.

One issue of interest to me is that it leaves you 70 years old or more, and 100% in stocks. Normally that would be OK because your long term equity earnings would overwhelm any small short term fluctuations at the time of withdrawal. Given the current state of the market, I wouldn't want to be in that position now.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
This was just published in the Journal of Financial Planning. They argue based on the spread between the trailing E/P and bond yields retirees in 2008 should live off equities. Yes counter to conventional wisdom. Makes no sense to me so hopefully smarter people then I can figure it out.

When Does a Bonds-first Withdrawal Sequence Extend Portfolio Longevity?

DD
This kind of "academic" research is what lost most of us so much money.

Who do you want to align yourself with? WEB, or these hacks? Could treasuries go much higher over time? Could stocks?

Q.E.D.

Ha
Old 11-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This article is a doozy.

One underlying premise is that withdrawal rate is constant as the initial rate and doesn't change (ie, 7.5% of original portfolio value withdrawn each year).

That the withdrawal strategy then becomes an either or proposition based on a market signal, which has been backtested, but takes an academian to determine if the signal is really a signal or just an 'urge.' That is, you do bonds first and never rebalance, or you do stocks first and never rebalance.

What happens with this proposal, then, is that modern portfolio theory gets thrown out as soon as a retiree starts to withdraw on a 50-50 portfolio mix. Life in a vacuum!

Way too many market and economy issues are left out of consideration! But an interesting science experiment if you need to publish to maintain your creds!

-- Rita