post me out of buying a new car

Yankees Rule

Recycles dryer sheets
looked at a toyota 4 cyl 5 speed tacoma pre runner today a 2009 model. Price with nice options around 20K. I have 9K of trade in value and cash to pay the rest of the 11K. My old ride only has 65K miles on it and is a fine great car. Only driving about 1000 miles a month these days. the pre runner gets avg 25 mpg my car now gets about 30.

Post to me people what should I do?

Umm, why do you feel the need to part with 11 grand to trade one perfectly good car for another?

Umm, why do you feel the need to part with 11 grand to trade one perfectly good car for another?

Had trucks for years then I stopped driving so many miles and looked at the new ones today with all the nice bells and whistles and well, you know what happens. I know I should do nothing, but maybe its all the free time!!

Had trucks for years then I stopped driving so many miles and looked at the new ones today with all the nice bells and whistles and well, you know what happens. I know I should do nothing, but maybe its all the free time!!

Its your money. But I cannot see it being worth it. What else could you do with $11k that would bring you more pleasure than swapping cars? And would you be so happy with that truck if gas goes back to $4 a gallon?

Its your money. But I cannot see it being worth it. What else could you do with $11k that would bring you more pleasure than swapping cars? And would you be so happy with that truck if gas goes back to $4 a gallon?

I new you people here would be able to quickly talk me out of the idea. Thank you .

I new you people here would be able to quickly talk me out of the idea. Thank you .

Don't believe for a minute that I am immune to the siren call of a cushy new ride. Definately tempting to trade my 135k wagon for something spiffier. But since I will likely be driving very little in the near future, it is silly to even think about it, let alone the waste of money when I have a perfectly good car that I will almost certainly have for another 5+ years.

I know I know, but it can carry stuff like mulch and dirt and other things. But in retrospect I can have all of that stuff delivered, or borrow the neighbors truck!

Or take $500 or so, and buy a nice utlity trailer, put a hitch on the car.

Lets break this down.
--You drive 1000 miles per month, so you spend 220 hours per year in the car.
-- Cost of the new car:
--Higher gas cost (@$2.50/gal)= $200 per year
-- Time value of your $11k at 8% per year (we've had a big drop, stocks are cheap now--but you're buying a truck instead): $900 per year
-- Higher insurance payment: Approx $200 per year
-- Higher depreciation: ?? 1500 per year ??
-- Only offset by reduced maintenance: Approx $600/yr
- Net higher cost for the year: $2200.

So, it will cost you $10/hour EXTRA for each hour you drive this new truck compared to your present car. Worth it? Would you really pay somebody $10 an hour to let you drive this new vehicle rather than your old one?

Or take $500 or so, and buy a nice utlity trailer, put a hitch on the car.

]
90154.gif

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

$329 at Harbor Freight. Add a sheet of CDX or treated plywood ($50) and you'll haul 1100 lbs with ease, have more flexibility in getting stuff on/off, and not have a care in the world about scratching it up. And, it folds in half and stands on end--store it in your garage.

I think you should sell the 11K car, buy a 1K car and put the 10K in the bank.

Take a deep breath, engage brain......there, feel better now?

Don't do it! (but you already knew that)

p.s. Fer goodness sake, stay away from car dealers!!!!!!
Meet your pals for breakfast, hike, do volunteer work....whatever it takes to keep yourself engaged.

Hugs.

p.s.2 If you are really bored....I have to replace 'bout a half mile of 6 strand barbed wire fence sometime this winter...

I'd buy the new truck and keep the old car. Why compromise?

Buy American:rolleyes:

Not even sure what that means anymore. Bought a Camry which is made in Georgetown, KY, just up the road. My neighbor works there and he dropped in to thank us. I buy the best product (Camry is annually ranked one of the most reliable) at a fair price. If Detroit can match that, fine. If not, well, they may just have to ask Uncle Sam for a bailout . . .

I'd wait. In this market cars are only going to get cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. Much like houses and stocks. Wait until nobody is buying, and then pounce. Of course that window will be very short, followed by huge inflation of prices as people will gladly trade their dollars for real goods.

Back
Top Bottom