Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
It's hard, however dogs can recover from their separation anxiety if they are placed in a good home. Many years ago an old Chihuahua showed up on my porch one day when I lived in the megacity. I checked newspapers, vets, humane society, etc. and no one was looking for this dog. He was not only old, he was sick. I took him to my vet and he was able to remove the little guy's diseased teeth and stabilize his congestive heart failure. The little guy used to sit on the lower ledge of the front window of the house just wanting to go home - wherever that was. Eventually he began sitting on the ledge waiting for me to come home. The morning his little heart gave out was one of the saddest times for me. He just wanted someone to love him and take care of him. I hope he found both with me.
I think it is a dead cert that he did. You are a very good dog daddy.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Can you write me an Rx to give to DW? ...

Sorry, I had to add some levity to this thread...
Sure! One of my clients has actually brought her 9 year old Golden Retriever in for sessions with me. In three sessions (1 hr total), she is able to get in and out of the car easier, walk up the steps relatively quickly, and ROM has increased in the hips. We are working on getting her front legs better.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I know a couple that had their healthy, but older two cats euthanized when they moved into a new house because they planned to travel. Honestly I will never understand their decision, I do not consider pets to be disposable.

All of the animals I have now (3 cats, 2 dogs) are ones that I have found on the road, on my property, or up for adoption at the local feed store.

Your situation is different, but in my opinion it all comes down to what their quality of life is at the time, not cost or convenience for me.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
I know a couple that had their healthy, but older two cats euthanized when they moved into a new house because they planned to travel. Honestly I will never understand their decision, I do not consider pets to be disposable.
We fly our 2 older cats to Mexico every year. The locals just shake their heads. These boys are part of our family. This year one of them has difficulty jumping up on the bed. It seems to come and go in the back end.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
After one experience where I think I kept the treatment for the cat going too long, I have tended towards the sooner rather than later.
I have asked the vet: "How much better is he going to get?"
If kidney disease, diabetes, stroke...will take current cat in and hold him while put down.

It's what I want for myself.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have an 8 year old pup and a 15 year old son. If we didn't do everything possible to help our pup live the longest enjoyable life possible, I think we would lose the respect of our son. And, I'd have a hard time living with myself as well.

Let me add that paying some hefty vet bills won't keep us from putting food on the table.......on the other hand we clip coupons and watch our pennies.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Two of my cats - Phil and Doug - died at age 14. Phil had lymphoma and Doug developed diabetes and kidney failure. Molly, who died at 19, developed liver failure so suddently that she was gone within a week.

I would have re-mortgaged the condo if there had been any hope. Those were my kids. However, I was happy that they were at least able to be euthanized and not have to go through the hell that we put humans through before death.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
After one experience where I think I kept the treatment for the cat going too long, I have tended towards the sooner rather than later.
I have asked the vet: "How much better is he going to get?"
If kidney disease, diabetes, stroke...will take current cat in and hold him while put down.

It's what I want for myself.
+ 1
Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I started reading this thread a couple of days ago and had to quit as it brought tears to my eyes. I had to make the decision to have a much loved pet cat put down a few years ago. He had cancer, was elderly, and had gotten very weak. If I have any regrets, it is only that I should have done it a couple of weeks sooner. I was with him and held him when the vet gave him his final injection and his passing was very peaceful. I was there to comfort him...he never liked going to the vet. I told him he was loved, but I couldn't make him young and healthy and I was not going to ask him to suffer any longer. While I thought I was there to comfort him, being there was as much for me and the chance say goodbye.