Question about applying for Medicare online

ivinsfan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'll be 65 on October 29 so I will start on Medicare Oct 1 2018..

I thought from some of my reading I could apply 3 months before the month I turn 65. I will be applying on my DH record. I am also a US citizen born abroad due to my Dad being US army...

I went online and went thru the application with no problem until I clicked the apply for Medicare only and it told I was eligible to apply for retirement bennies but not Medicare they offered no explanation.

Does this mean I need to wait until July 29 before I can do an application for Medicare only? I could start playing phone tag with them, but thought I ask you folks first.

You should have been able to apply starting July 1 (three months before the beginning of the month you turn 65), so far as I know -- that's what I did, and it worked for me. I'm not sure about the "applying on (your) DH record" part though, as I was applying on my own. Does Medicare, like SS, require a certain contribution record for eligibility? I didn't think so, but ...?

DW applied for Medicare only based on my record. We couldn't do it over the phone, had to go to the local SS office to apply in person. They asked for proof of marriage for her.

Hope you have better luck and can do it over the phone. No reason to wait, you should be able to do it now.

But it did say I could continue my application if I wanted to just apply for retirement benefits. Just thought I'd try to clarify some things before I call.

I don't think they actually ran my SS number because I hadn't submitted the application yet.

DW applied for Medicare only based on my record. We couldn't do it over the phone, had to go to the local SS office to apply in person. They asked for proof of marriage for her.

Hope you have better luck and can do it over the phone. No reason to wait, you should be able to do it now.

That's what I wanted to know...Thanks.

OK, I looked it up, and now I get that you or your spouse must have worked the same "40 quarters" as for SS to get Medicare Part A for free, but otherwise anyone who's a U.S. citizen or permanent resident for 5 years can get Part A and pay for it (or at least that's how I read it). Still don't understand the response you got. Could you have misunderstood the government-ese in the response?

Holy Moly after spending all morning on the phone. The problem is a combination of being born a US citizen in a foreign country and collecting a spousal.

I need to have a appointment...I've called about the two local ( 60 miles away) offices and was offered 2 options a phone appt in late August, which won't really help me and an in person appt the first one open in August 20 in the big regional office.

With my needing Medicare on Oct 1, would you wait for the appt or drive the 60 miles on an early Tuesday, Wednesday towards the end of the month and try to do a walk in ..

I had to visit my local SS office numerous times due to SS fraud. I never could get an appointment. I suggest go Tuesday or Thursday without an appointment (my office was closed Wednesdays), try to get there 30 minutes before opening time so you will be at the front of the line. Take something to read and be prepared to wait a while. They will eventually see you. Be sure to take all the necessary paperwork.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the August 20 date is cutting it too close techinally it's still over 60 days before my birthday.

Holy Moly after spending all morning on the phone. The problem is a combination of being born a US citizen in a foreign country and collecting a spousal.

I need to have a appointment...I've called about the two local ( 60 miles away) offices and was offered 2 options a phone appt in late August, which won't really help me and an in person appt the first one open in August 20 in the big regional office.

With my needing Medicare on Oct 1, would you wait for the appt or drive the 60 miles on an early Tuesday, Wednesday towards the end of the month and try to do a walk in ..
That sucks. We had similar issues (DW is a naturalized citizen, eligibility based on my work record) but at least the SS office was closer. We went without an appointment, which meant about a 45-60 minute wait. Once we got to the clerk, everything went smoothly. We chose the "walk-in" because I wanted to be sure there was enough time for a "plan B" if some issue came up. It didn't, but you never know. Hopefully they were clear regarding what documentation you need to provide.

You can take the office appointment, then go for a walk-in, and use the appointment if you need to return.

I helped my brother get his SS and Medicare, and we also did a walk-in, and waited about the same amount of time. The process went smoothly for him as well. I'm going to apply in a couple of months and will walk in, no appointment.

WOW! And we live in America does these things have to be so complicated for people. There has to be a better check and balance and or system then what we have. I do understand fraud etc. but >>>>.

Your birthday isn't really the point, since you'll want coverage to start October 1. IIRC, the paperwork took about a month to all go through (Medicare card in hand, etc.), so you "should" be OK, but ...

Your birthday isn't really the point, since you'll want coverage to start October 1. IIRC, the paperwork took about a month to all go through (Medicare card in hand, etc.), so you "should" be OK, but ...

It's the language in the medicare verbiage... it uses One before you turn 65, two months before you turn 65 and the month you turn 65, it's never mentions the first day of the month you turn 65 FWIW, we are leaning towards just doing a walk in and signing both myself and my spouse up SS...he will be 70 in January and since we won't have very large bennies we are thinking about locking in the hold harmless particularly on my check which will be quite small.

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the August 20 date is cutting it too close techinally it's still over 60 days before my birthday.

I think you will be fine with an August date. You have 3 months before your birthday month, your birthday month and three months after your birthday month, so 7 months in total to get signed up.

WOW! And we live in America does these things have to be so complicated for people. There has to be a better check and balance and or system then what we have. I do understand fraud etc. but >>>>.
Part of the issue I think is that marriage records are state based, not a Fed record. But no reason to think government isn't complicated.

Your coverage will start on the first day of your birthday month if you have signed up before then. Of course, it really doesn't matter until the first time you need a doctor or other provider, but if you're like me, you will want to be able to cancel your pre-Medicare insurance plan as soon as possible.

Part of the issue I think is that marriage records are state based, not a Fed record. But no reason to think government isn't complicated.

Well you'd think 45 years of joint filing tax returns as married would mean something too..I've also has a US passport since before I was 2 years old, but why make things easy.

Your coverage will start on the first day of your birthday month if you have signed up before then. Of course, it really doesn't matter until the first time you need a doctor or other provider, but if you're like me, you will want to be able to cancel your pre-Medicare insurance plan as soon as possible.

I have to cancel that anyway as it's an individual ACA exchange plan and I wouldn't get cost share money or for that matter coverage anyway.

I think you will be fine with an August date. You have 3 months before your birthday month, your birthday month and three months after your birthday month, so 7 months in total to get signed up.

technically yes but who wants a gap in HI coverage, I don't luckily I usually do things like this sooner rather then later so I'm confident it will get sorted in a timely manner.

I took early SS at age 62. When I turned 65, Medicare A and B were automatic. I didn't have to do a thing !

I took early SS at age 62. When I turned 65, Medicare A and B were automatic. I didn't have to do a thing !

Yes I think that is true for a lot of people, but wasn't the best option in our case.

I was born at an Army hospital in Austria, to American parents. I applied for Medicare in May. I don't have the spousal issue, I am single. But I did have to go to the Social Security office in person, with my documentation. I brought my Birth Certificate, my consular report of foreign birth, my naturalization certificate and some Austrian document. I brought everything I had, since I did not want to have to make a second trip.
After a two hour wait, it took only 10 minutes or so for the clerk to make copies of my stuff, and all went smoothly after that. I then received my Medicare card for Parts A & B with no problem, and applied for Prescription Supplemental coverage and BCBS Supplemental.
My coverage started July 1. I waited until I was sure Medicare was all set before canceling my old health insurance, which was COBRA, and due to run out July 31 anyway.

I was born at an Army hospital in Austria, to American parents. I applied for Medicare in May. I don't have the spousal issue, I am single. But I did have to go to the Social Security office in person, with my documentation. I brought my Birth Certificate, my consular report of foreign birth, my naturalization certificate and some Austrian document. I brought everything I had, since I did not want to have to make a second trip.
After a two hour wait, it took only 10 minutes or so for the clerk to make copies of my stuff, and all went smoothly after that. I then received my Medicare card for Parts A & B with no problem, and applied for Prescription Supplemental coverage and BCBS Supplemental.
My coverage started July 1. I waited until I was sure Medicare was all set before canceling my old health insurance, which was COBRA, and due to run out July 31 anyway.

I have possession of all those items, and a 63 year old US passport in my maiden name as well as a current US passport. God Bless my mother for holding on to all that stuff..however I'm not certain you actually have to be a US citizen to get SS and Medicare as long as you are eligible.

They didn't tell me exactly what to bring and I assume I will be needing a copy of my marriage certificate of course I already sent them one 46 years ago..

Last edited:
I think they wanted to see my birth certificate, and proof of either citizenship or permanent residency.

They advised anyone with a foreign birth certificate to bring it in to the office instead of mailing it, due to the difficulty to replace if lost.

I think they wanted to see my birth certificate, and proof of either citizenship or permanent residency.

They advised anyone with a foreign birth certificate to bring it in to the office instead of mailing it, due to the difficulty to replace if lost.

You'd think they could communicate with the US Passport office or at least ask for a passport number online... in this day and age!

Back
Top Bottom