Reminder: Free TurboTax from Vanguard

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just downloaded TurboTax Deluxe Desktop for free, lists for $59.95. Download includes free Fed e-File and free state download.

I've done this for the past several years, love it.

Just a reminder, if you have holdings with Vanguard you're probably eligible. I wouldn't pass up this bennie, YMMV.

Thanks for the reminder. Already downloaded the freebie.

Got that done. Now it's watching football time (I wait until after the superbowl before I do my taxes).

Thanks for the reminder :greetings10:

Well, it's free if you're in Flagship Services.
For us small fry, it's discounted to $44.96, which is still a good deal.

Well I guess I don't need to worry about digging out my password and logging in then cause the $44.95 doesn't sound that great. Guess I will just stay with Tax-Act for under $20 for filing both fed and state.

I *knew* there was a reason why I hadn't obtained a free copy! :LOL: Oh well. I seem to have been doing reasonably well with TT Basic which is cheaper.

Thanks. A quick check shows I will not owe a penalty for withholding lots less than I have to pay. So I will think about this again when I file for my automatic extension in April.

Thanks for the information, Midpack. I just downloaded my copy.

Only free if you are Flagship.... not quite there yet...

You pay a reduced amount otherwise...

Costco has a coupon this month until Jan. 30 - the Deluxe Turbotax is $49.79 - $10.00 coupon ... ends up at $39.79. Sweet deal for those of us who don't have Vanguard accounts. :hide:

So, I installed my freebie version of Turbotax Deluxe and did the updates and started the filling out process. (Still have one more 1099 form I'm waiting on). Since I sold some mutual funds (Vanguard) this year, during the TT interview, I get a recommendation to upgrade to Turbotax Premier for $30.

My question is, for any users of Premier, is it worth the extra $30 instead of free with Deluxe? I have done my taxes before with Deluxe for a year I sold some funds in the past..and the process wasn't that bad.

Just wondering..is going to Premier worth it?

Thx.

So, I installed my freebie version of Turbotax Deluxe and did the updates and started the filling out process. (Still have one more 1099 form I'm waiting on). Since I sold some mutual funds (Vanguard) this year, during the TT interview, I get a recommendation to upgrade to Turbotax Premier for $30.

My question is, for any users of Premier, is it worth the extra $30 instead of free with Deluxe? I have done my taxes before with Deluxe for a year I sold some funds in the past..and the process wasn't that bad.

Thx.

I use the H&R Block program... so it might not be similar.... but I had always used the cheapest program that had the calculations I needed... the only thing that paying more does for you is ask you more questions... the calculations are the same.... so unless you have a strange tax issue, I would not go to premium...

Thx.
Selling mutual funds alone should not make it necessary to upgrade to Premier. I have bought/sold securities almost every year, and never used better than Deluxe and some years Basic. My 2¢...

If you use Vanguard Brokerage TT will import activity for 2010 after Feb 18. I am not sure what that looks like, but MF 1099 div imported just perfectly.

FIDO comes in @ $22.45 for deluxe and $37.45 for premier.
I've never gone beyond the deluxe and I have a fairly indepth return.

Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided to just use Deluxe (can't beat free). If I find myself getting stuck (which I don't expect to), then maybe I'll resort to Premium (I do see that as a VG flagship member, Premium can be had for $9.95).

Back
Top Bottom