Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

p-
Get a new one. You deserve it. I say the reason to LBYM during accumulation is to enjoy the fruits of it in retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I like racy's answer, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the responses of just drive it into the ground - which is an option C that I failed to include. BTW, that is what DW would prefer.

My only apprehension is that I have a Thursday golf group that travels to different courses and different people drive each week I am absolutely embarrassed to pull up with this piece of sh!%. I take a little more pride in my ride while for DW if it gets from point A to point B safely it is fine with her.

The truck is mainly DW's ride (mine is the turbocharged, 4 door sedan which is really quick and I enjoy driving) but I do use the truck occasionally.

I want to think about it more but I think you're convincing me to let it rot and drive it until it dies.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #23

My main criteria for replacing a vehicle is safety and reliability. The appearance issue seems to be a tie for you. Myself, I'd let it be. My old Chevy PU was 18 years old when we moved to WV and I couldn't wait to get the WV tag on it and send photos to family and friends because it looked like the stereotypical WV pickup truck. Roof and hood had lots of paint missing and covered with rust, some lower-level body parts were starting to rust through and the like. When the paint started peeling the only washing it got was from rain. Pretty close to "Beverly Hillbillies" style.

BTW, the 2003 GMC replacement still looks pristine. Better paint formulas to be sure but I have little doubt that keeping it in a garage has a lot to do with that too, and appearance items get a lot more care since I retired. I do a full detailing on it twice a year. It's just coming up on 90k miles so it may last longer than I do.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I want to think about it more but I think you're convincing me to let it rot and drive it until it dies.
If you really want a new pickup, go for it - that will boost my pension.

PM me for a PIN for a Friends and Family discount on the country's best selling truck.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am not one who cares too much about impressing strangers. Still, when it comes to a vehicle, there's only so much rust and dent that I can tolerate.

Of course, people here are the same, and it's mostly a matter of degree.

So, is the OP's truck like this?

Thanks for posting that...suddenly my '85 Silverado doesn't look so bad!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My only apprehension is that I have a Thursday golf group that travels to different courses and different people drive each week I am absolutely embarrassed to pull up with this piece of sh!%. I take a little more pride in my ride while for DW if it gets from point A to point B safely it is fine with her.

The truck is mainly DW's ride (mine is the turbocharged, 4 door sedan which is really quick and I enjoy driving) but I do use the truck occasionally.
Four bags won't fit in the trunk of your car? Let everybody enjoy the turbocharged goodness!

Another option: An old, semi-classic car or truck--not a super rare collectible, but something like a very straight and clean 60's or early 70s sedan or truck. Get a big American one and it's easy to find parts and work on, it won't depreciate, can be had for less than a new truck (and again, won't depreciate like a new vehicle), it will have lots or room (sublet part of the trunk to a local family as an apartment) and it says "cool" in a way that no new vehicle does. Your friends will love to ride in it. It'll get terrible mileage and you won't care at all.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Oh man!

More and more, I am grateful of living in the SW, with none of that rain and snow. None of the cars here look like that, including ones that sit in junkyards for years. And we do not have to fight mold like Trombone-Al does either.

I have also found that my cooling bill for the summer is diddly-squat, compared to the heating bills others talk about.

And I have been dreaming of moving to where it's green (and moldy)?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'd argue that you have a 3rd choice, just maintain it and drive it with the dents and rust. Unless the dents or rust are impeding safe driving, I don't see the return on investment.

That's what I'd do.
+1

Have done this many times over the years, following the philosophy of "driving it until the wheels fall off".

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
While I like racy's answer, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the responses of just drive it into the ground - which is an option C that I failed to include. BTW, that is what DW would prefer.

Maintain the mechanicals and drive it into the ground. Not worth $$ to not be embarrassed. Embarrassed by what btw?

Grew up driving in a '74 caprice that was rusted out. Made no difference in the person I am today.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
That truck is beautiful!!!!

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
.....So, is the OP's truck like this?

Not yet, but give it a few years and I'll be pushing towards it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well, again I exaggerated, this time about the appearance of the cars where I am.

While it's true that rust is practically non-existent, dents abound just like elsewhere. And paint fade is a big problem here. And cracked dashboards too. But rust, it ain't.

PS. And you are fortunate to have a wife who does not mind driving the worse vehicle in the family. I would add she's a keeper, but of course you already knew this.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #33

Here's a picture of my veteran truck. It's a surplus DWFP (Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks) 1995 GMC with 192K miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_6895.jpg (1.05 MB, 8 views)
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #34
Administrator

Who cares what it looks like? If it runs well, keep it until it doesn't.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

My 2002 Dodge extended cab SLT pickup has 235,000 miles on it (its our swing vehicle).

It has a few dents,

It has a bad A/C compressor,

It uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles,

The water pump shaft seal is starting to leak,

No rust, but faded paint,

Has a cracked dash, etc.

Everyone who borrows it doesn't complain about anything. Maybe next summer I'll get to some of its needs.

Keep your truck and just have the rust patched/painted for a lot less than $4500.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Here's a picture of my veteran truck. It's a surplus DWFP (Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks) 1995 GMC with 192K miles.
Good start, but it needs some easily visible dents for cred. Make it look like an elk rammed it or something serious.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

While I stopped caring about cars long ago, meaning their performance and luxuries, I still care a bit about the appearance of my cars.

I do not want to stand out, and an average car would blend in with the crowd better. Something too beat up, well, I would be drawing attention.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My 2002 Dodge extended cab SLT pickup has 235,000 miles on it (its our swing vehicle).

It has a few dents,

It has a bad A/C compressor,

It uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles,

The water pump shaft seal is starting to leak,

No rust, but faded paint,

Has a cracked dash, etc.

Everyone who borrows it doesn't complain about anything. Maybe next summer I'll get to some of its needs.

Keep your truck and just have the rust patched/painted for a lot less than $4500.
It fine if you don't take it on long drives, with water pump seal going the water pumps days are very definitely numbered. If you are not going into the boonies such as west Texas or other areas with similar population density you may be ok, although if when the truck is borrowed the water pump fails hard, someone may be unhappy. BTW 2 years ago a water pump on a 2001 silverado cost $700 including labor.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
It fine if you don't take it on long drives, with water pump seal going the water pumps days are very definitely numbered. If you are not going into the boonies such as west Texas or other areas with similar population density you may be ok, although if when the truck is borrowed the water pump fails hard, someone may be unhappy. BTW 2 years ago a water pump on a 2001 silverado cost $700 including labor.
Yes, thanks,I understand the consequences, and the pump is being replaced by me and my son in law this weekend. Fortunately, the old truck never goes far from this area.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #40

I still drive my 1988 F-150 to the most remote locations in the west.
The only time I was stranded was when the alternator failed between Ely and Austin, NV on hwy 50 (no cell coverage). Luckily there was a nice pull-out when it stalled. My PV panel was able to charge the battery enough (about 10hrs) to get me to Austin where I found the only charger in town. That got me to the Fallon Autozone where I replaced the alternator in the parking lot.

Put me on the side of keep the old truck.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote