Returns year to date

12.1% ytd. Had 100% in the 1st three months, got out when the S&P went over 1400. Then just in and out with 20-30%.
Just got back in after the election with 40% stocks (up 4% in a couple weeks) Will probably bail if we have a big day next week & start over. 60% still cash. Been in SCHA & SCHX this year.
Not what most would agree with, but I was very relaxed being out of the market most of the year. And still have a nice return.
(Just checked, the 12.1% does not include Fridays 1.3% bump)

Last edited:
Per M* Portfolio tracker tool, total return YTD = 8.23 %

current AA = 32/65/3

VEUSX, VWALX, and VTSAX are leading the way...:dance:

9.83 % as of this posting.
AA = 33/64/3
All distributions are reinvested except TE dividends from VWALX are currently going to VYFXX (NY TE money market) to rebuild cash recently pulled to buy used Ford Escape.

VEUSX, VTSAX are vying for position to go into the final stretch, with VHDYX, VWALX, and VBIAX close on their heels.

I feel like I'm calling a horse race. :cool:

Well, I went through all of the responses and I thought I was going to be the leader (which surprised me) until I saw gomo's. I think I'm second at 14.9%.

I have 13% bonds and the rest in stocks.

My holdings are split unevenly in three different places - Fidelity, Vanguard, and American Funds.

I have a correction to make regarding Quicken's reporting of investment performance.

I prefer to use the "ROI YTD" because it shows the true YTD gain, and does not annualize or project it to the year end.
That's what I use. Pretty straightforward and accurate enough.

Hmm, now that we've had a couple of recovery weeks I might be tempted to post my YTD results. :D

+15.22% as of 12/1/2012.
That is our total portfolio increase, including 2011 year-end balances and all new contributions.

If I subtract 2012 contributions and other mumbo-jumbo, I get +12.35%. That is similar to ROI YTD as just mentioned.

I have a correction to make regarding Quicken's reporting of investment performance.

When I said the "Return" reporting numbers from Quicken did not include dividends, I meant its "Gain/Loss" numbers. The "Avg. Annual Return" and the "Return" columns do include dividends. I think the former uses IRR calculations, but am not sure how the latter is computed. Quicken even leaves the "Return" columns of some of my MF and stock positions blank, and I do not know what that is all about.

The "Gain/Loss", "ROI", "Avg. Ann. Return", and "Return" numbers are offered for time periods of YTD, 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years. For YTD numbers, the "Av. Ann. Return" number is annualized, as LOL observed. This extrapolates the return YTD to the rest of the year, which is of course not that meaningful as the market could easily change a couple of % in just a few days, even if these days are at the end of the year.

I prefer to use the "ROI YTD" because it shows the true YTD gain, and does not annualize or project it to the year end.

I apologize for any confusion my earlier post might have caused.

The problem that I have with the ROI YTD function in Quicken is that it works well for individual securities, but fails to capture the true ROI for the entire portfolio if you sold off some securities during the year. Once you sell a security, it is not taken into account anymore when calculating the ROI YTD. To test this, I "sold" the biggest loser in my portfolio YTD and presto, my ROI YTD shot up - as if this bad investment never happened.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom