RIP John Bogle

quote:

Attachments

• quote-i-believe-that-the-behavior-of-too-many-of-our-corporations-investment-bankers-and-fund-jo.jpg
    quote-i-believe-that-the-behavior-of-too-many-of-our-corporations-investment-bankers-and-fund-jo.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 71
Yahoo's Rick Newman has an interesting column on a low point in Bogle's career and how he persevered. Bogle was fired as leader of Wellington Management after a boardroom fight in 1974. Of course he went on to found Vanguard, and eventually, Wellington went to work for him.

How Jack Bogle got stronger from failure

He definitely dragged the whole industry in the right direction (kicking and screaming about the eroding of their exorbitant fees). Let's hope Vanguard stays the course without him.

Not entirely unexpected of course but, as has been said, many have benefited from his leadership and vision. A long life. RIP Jack.

Flags should fly at half-staff.

He was modest in an industry where modesty is rare.

RIP Jack.

+1. I respect Jack for his vision, his integrity, and for doing what' best for the investor. Vanguard's success shows that his model paid off. Index funds allowed us to take on a diversified portfolio easily, with less risk, and with greater rewards. Thank you, Jack, for all that you did for the world. You can't usually say this about someone in finance, but he was a great man. You will be missed.

Agreed.

And yet, how many people know his name? Sad.

-ERD50

A giant in his field. Similar to when Steve Jobs passed.

Ditto to all of the above.

A visionary who, in a very practical way, helped millions save millions.

A life well lived.

Thank you John Bogle. RIP.

Just logged on after a busy day and saw the headline, then came to the forum

RIP John, a long life of accomplishment and good works, having helped many

We enjoy the golden age of investing because Jack Bogle changed the world.

Amazing what he accomplished and contributed to the world. Not many have had his positive impact on so many. RIP

Cr*p, I'm decades younger and I'm unhappy about being sooo old... it's just not like being 30 anymore... :(
But it's still better than the alternative, so I hope to get to 88++ :)

Older is one thing. But when it gets to where you can’t really take care of yourself anymore or go anywhere.....

Same from me RIP Jack. I am a Vanguard index mutual fund investor since the early 1990's. Recently retired at age 51. I never bought into those managed funds that try to time and or predict the market. I hope to live a long time but only time will tell. Hope all of you have a happy and healthy 2019!

RIP John, thanks to you millions will be able to retire early.

100's of billions on dollars in commissions and fees saved that did not go to the broker's yachts and gulfstreams and allowed the middle class to be able to save and have a better future.

Not sure we'd be FIRE today without Jack Bogle. RIP and thank you!

Back
Top Bottom