RIP John Bogle

...has died. RIP

Ditto. Bogle's Folly remains the reason I am entering year 26 of ER.

Heh heh heh - and Jack's books and articles (pep talks) helped 'stay the course' over the years. Male hormones being what they is - grin, tried a lot of side stuff over the years including 'a few good stocks'. Big dog (since 1977) on the porch is still index funds. Thank you Jack. :flowers:

RIP Jack. You were a class act. Your index funds have enabled me and my family to retire with confidence.

I just read about his death in the WSJ - the comments there are amazing and it looks like WSJ will be doing a retrospective article on him.

Not only were his ideas regarding investing so beneficial to the common man, he seems to have been a person of great integrity and dignity in general throughout his life. One thinks of a life well-lived in many different arenas. It seems as though Mr Bogle scored aces across the board.

I am an enthusiastic VG customer of many years.

Thank goodness he was able to share his immense talents with the world. RIP.

I was quite sick yesterday and did not do any computer or even much TV. Just saw this thread and was caught by surprise. He lived a long time in spite of his medical issues.

As much as society tends to overuse the term hero for what seems like almost everything nowdays, I sincerely feel this is a good example of a person that was a hero and deserving of the term. Bogle was a hero for the little guy and for changing the investment philosophy of many people.

I’m sure our nest egg would be much smaller and sitting in a bunch of CDs had Mr Bogle not changed the investment world and also given us all confidence that we could do it without several layers of middlemen taking a cut. Truly an accomplishment with results that will survive countless generations. RIP.

A national “retirement day” is in order to honor the life of Jacks wisdom. RIP

Sad for us, but not Mr. Bogle.

Mr. Bogle is being fitted with Angel Wings. His family, friends, and fans know this.

I like to think of him as the man that saved the middle class. As the world shifted from defined pensions to defined contributions, Jack steered millions of working folks away from the WS mud sharks. Mother Theresa would applaud Mr. Bogle's work and life.

I was lucky enough to meet Jack at the 2017 Bogleheads. He was always a hero to me and reminded me of my father in many ways. He was so intelligent, but also very common in a good way. Grace and dignity oozed out of him during any of his actions or speeches. He will never be replaced and is already sorely missed by many. I have his 2017 book autographed and it will be a great keepsake.

VW

I am not an indexer, and I often attempt to time the market, but I respect Bogle and will miss him. A great human being.

Last edited:
I feel blessed for getting an opportunity to meet Mr. Bogle in person in 2017 at the Boleheads Conference.....truly an awesome personality!
You will be missed Mr. Bogle ….RIP!!

Last edited:
We lost a great man. I was watching an interview with John Bogle on Amazon and I had pulled out one of his books to reread and then for some reason I did a search on his name and found the news that he had die that day. It was a strange coincidence. He did a lot for investors and had real integrity.

He was right about so many things, so the way he ultimately decided, especially after his heart transplant, that service to family, friends, younger generations and charities was what really mattered, has me thinking. For the last 20 years or more, he gave away half of his income. Maybe that’s an ultimate life goal worth striving for. RIP Jack Bogle. You did good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom