security security - for disabled

engr

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all,

DW is on disability. She is 58 yo. When she reaches FRA it is my understanding her disability benefits convert to retirement benefits at the same amount. Does she have the option to do a claim/suspend (as a non disabled retiree would) or wait until age 70 in order to increase her benefit? Does she have any other choices to increase her benefit? I am 60 yo. Thanks for your inputs.

Almost our situation, so I'm interested. Your understanding is the same as ours, I hope someone can add their wisdom.

My DW is young and was disabled at an age where she would not have enough credits for any retirement benefits. She does, however, qualify for an average disability benefit.

I would go the local SS office and ask them. I would be surprised if she could suspend and restart.

Bumping an old thread here because it appears to have gone unanswered.

Hello all,

DW is on disability. She is 58 yo. When she reaches FRA it is my understanding her disability benefits convert to retirement benefits at the same amount. Does she have the option to do a claim/suspend (as a non disabled retiree would)
The answer becomes more obvious if you try rephrasing the question from the perspective of her already having reached FRA:

"My wife is receiving a retirement benefit, and she has reached her FRA. Can she have payments suspended?"

Yep.

I'm not the OP, but thank you, we're in the same position and all we could get from SSA said what the OP stated.

Your logic seems very solid.

MRG

Back
Top Bottom