Claiming SocSec on MY earnings after receiving survivor benefit

sakowitzm

Recycles dryer sheets
My wife passed away 5+ years ago at 58 years old. I had just turned 60. I've been receiving survivor benefits since she passed. I'm looking to confirm that when I go to claim regular Social Security at age 70, my benefit will be exactly as it would have been if I had NOT been receiving survivor benefit. Is that correct? Thanks.

I'm in the same position as OP. Slightly different question. I'm curious as to how much my benefit will be. I had looked at it several years ago. However on trying to look it up on SS.gov I don't see it or a path to find it. Any hints? Beyond call SS (because I'm lazy & it's not "that" important to me)

I'm in the same position as OP. Slightly different question. I'm curious as to how much my benefit will be. I had looked at it several years ago. However on trying to look it up on SS.gov I don't see it or a path to find it. Any hints? Beyond call SS (because I'm lazy & it's not "that" important to me)

Get your earnings off the SS site, copy and paste them into this tool. This is a very accurate tool. It has been updated with the latest 3.2% COLA.
https://ssa.tools

ahhh...Thank you. Just what I'm looking for

edit: how safe is that site? it's not a .gov site. Cautious about entering data on an unknown site

ahhh...Thank you. Just what I'm looking for

edit: how safe is that site? it's not a .gov site. Cautious about entering data on an unknown site

I've used it many times. Many people here have used it. Bogleheads use it. I have never had issue nor have I heard of any one else having issues. The data is not stored. Even so, it's just numbers. There is no personally identifying information.

ETA: If you're still concerned, open the page. Disconnect from the internet. Load your data and calculate. All calculations are done on your computer, not the website.

Last edited:
I've used it many times. Many people here have used it. Bogleheads use it. I have never had issue nor have I heard of any one else having issues. The data is not stored. Even so, it's just numbers. There is no personally identifying information.

ETA: If you're still concerned, open the page. Disconnect from the internet. Load your data and calculate. All calculations are done on your computer, not the website.

Kthx

Back
Top Bottom