Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Selling my house part 2
Old 01-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My 1st naive and foolish mistake as an amateur home seller was to pose the original question on a public forum. With too many self righteous and judgemental people who seem to want to jump to quick conclusions, I am not about to make another mistake by commenting any further and certainly not before the sale.

Even as a scumbag man of "little or no" honor, I can only tolerate one wound per thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #62

Drum roll please

Old 01-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
My 1st naive and foolish mistake as an amateur home seller was to pose the original question on a public forum. With too many self righteous and judgemental people who seem to want to jump to quick conclusions, I am not about to make another mistake by commenting any further and certainly not before the sale.

Even as a scumbag man of "little or no" honor, I can only tolerate one wound per thread.
No that was your second mistake.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #64

And the beating continues. :
Old 01-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #65

Handshakes are only binding if you spit in your hand first.

MJ, sounds like you under priced your house and now there is - perhaps - some question of liability if you upset one of the buyers (I do not see this BTW). *Looks like a realtor's fee would have been well worth it (in hind sight).

That being said ... offers are only worth the paper they're printed on. *And you never cashed the check ... heck, you could destroy the check and be done with it.

The last bidding war I had was across 3 buyers and lasted about a week ... all verbal nothing in writing.

Keep playing each buyer against the other and maximize your profit ... it's called the law of supply n'demand. *Then get it in writing.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with a bidding war but once you accepted the deposit check the bidding should stop. Why did you accept the deposit in the first place if you did not intend to sell to this party? I guess I am old school and proud of it but even in this cut throat world once I give my word it is as good as gold. It is a sad to believe that many in this world are just the opposite. All I can do is pity you, but donít forget about the boomerang effect: what you throw out there will sooner or latter come back to hit you. Something tells me you have the extra money all ready in the bank. To bad your loss.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #67

I'm not a lawyer--or an ethicist--but the 2nd to last house I sold started a bidding war. I was sitting on 6 checks for a couple of days till I picked one to keep and make a deal with in writing. I had 2 offers for the top amount and picked one based on their high motivation (first check received, matched all subsequent offers). The sale went through wihtout a hitch, though the other buyers with the same offer were pissed. They had sent us a chatty note with pictures extolling their virtues and hobbies. But they didn't know they were dealing with 2 INTPs, utterly unmoved--indeed, somewhat offended--by such manipulation appeals to emotion*
Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Overall, I think a few people need to relax. MJ is talking about $60,000. At 4% that would likely cover his Medicare and Medigap, forever Or all the cable and cool electronics he wants each and every year in perpetuity.

It's not like any of these people are his friends, or family or lovers. Just "people" who would likely seek their own best legal or arguably legal solution.

My own rule is I try not to jump to conclusions, especially when here are several legitimate ways to look at a situation. It is always possible that one of them may be more favorable to me than the others.*

Ha

Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello, this is my first post. I was content just reading this forum because there seems to be more information than I can take in already without running off at the mouth, but I couldn't help but jump into this topic and get on my soap box.

While it is pretty obvious that you can't buy a house properly with a personal check and a handshake(we have created plenty of other rules to keep realtors in business), it does get the point across.

This guy could have cancelled his check if something strange happened to your house after he gave it to you or he noticed something he didn't like.

So....I really think you could sit down with the buyers and work something out. I believe the 2nd buyer is the one who truly wants the house badly enough while the first buyer may just be looking for profit. Maybe you can all sit down and figure out a way for you to get a decent amount of money(more than you were originally asking even which is a nice bonus), the 2nd buyer gets a house they desire, and someone puts a little coin in the first buyers pocket. While you may not come to a conclusion that works for everyone, it would be worth a try and there is a good possibility of coming away with gratification on many levels.