Seriously annoyed with Quicken!

Understand, there are some annoying bugs in Quicken.

The one thing I didn't get was that the OP in her intro said they are worth a little north of a million, earn $250K in salaries working from home, spend $80K / year, and gave herself a major self-inflicted wedgie over having to get a new version of Quicken because "I use Quicken for EVERYTHING...".

Lisa, stop, take a deep breath -- the sky is not falling. Spending 60 bucks is not going to throw your retirement plans off the rails.

Ah, but she has over a million dollars because she gets upset being forced to pay for something she doesn't really want.

I have Quicken 2010 - I can't find any info about how long it will download stock quotes before I need to buy a new version. 2 years? 3 years?

I have Quicken 2010 - I can't find any info about how long it will download stock quotes before I need to buy a new version. 2 years? 3 years?
Per their support policy, this should work until late April 2013 if the same schedule is maintained as in the past:

Quicken Discontinuation Policy - Quicken® Support

Here are the dates older versions of Quicken were retired:

• Quicken 2008 (Win) -- April 27, 2011
  • Quicken 2007 (Win) – April 30, 2010
  • Quicken 2006 (Win) – April 30, 2009
  • Quicken 2005 (Win) – April 30, 2008

I don't think you're a weirdo, but I think Intuit should be more honest with Quicken users. Essentially, they've moved to a subscription model, where you pay a periodic fee to continue to make full use of their product. They have a right to do that, but they don't make that clear when you purchase or upgrade the product. I agree the fee isn't much to pay, but how about giving customers the option to pay an annual fee without having to go through an upgrade process and the learning curve for a (mostly cosmetically) changed product? The fee should go to maintaining support with the product as well as download support with the various financial institutions.

Agree wholeheartedly! I was a new user in 2008 and didn't know I'd have to upgrade in 2011. If I would have known that I still would have bought the product but I would have expected to have to pay again in 2011.

Understand, there are some annoying bugs in Quicken.

The one thing I didn't get was that the OP in her intro said they are worth a little north of a million, earn $250K in salaries working from home, spend $80K / year, and gave herself a major self-inflicted wedgie over having to get a new version of Quicken because "I use Quicken for EVERYTHING...".

Lisa, stop, take a deep breath -- the sky is not falling. Spending 60 bucks is not going to throw your retirement plans off the rails.

LOL...you are so spot on! I have taken a deep breath and exhaled.

But I don't like surprises and the first thing that came to mind when I got the notice that it would stop working is that I was yet again being nickled and dimed to death. I didn't know that this was a 'feature' of the software when I bought it.

I do realize it's only $60, but that $60 isn't in the budget and did I mention that I don't like surprises :cool:

I get so sick of reading Kim Komando's happy happy joy joy "user testimonials". Any real user feedback on its reliability, flaws, and encryption?
It does all it is advertised to do. Works without impacting system (low overhead), restores are simple and security is the same as Mozy (e.g. 448-bit Blowfish encryption).

Don't belive me? Fine. Just look at all the testimonials on the product. Here's one for you:

Carbonite Review | The Best Online Backup Service? | TechWizBackup - Guide To Online Backup

And here's one on the security side:

Carbonite Security Issues: Who Has Access To My Carbonite Backup?

As for this user? I'm well satisified with the product, ease of operation, and price.

If you have problems with it? Simply don't buy it (you can use it to test out and no CC needed). If it dosen't meet your requirements, then just don't sign up after the testing period.

A funny thing is that I have not done a combined balance sheet for us... I really don't keep track of my wife's property... I wonder what it would show:confused:
Pray that you never have occasion to find out.

Ha

Has anyone received one of these in the mail?

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 4
I'm surprised at how many folks are paying for Quicken and put up with the darn thing. This is especially surprising on this forum where many folks pride themselves on the DIY or at least absolutely free solution.

So how come y'all have not latched on to the absolutely free, never-expiring, version of MS Money? All the downloading from your accounts is free as are stock quotes as described on a couple of web sites.

So I am still using MS Money because I'd hate to pay money when one can get it all for free.

As for this user? I'm well satisified with the product, ease of operation, and price.
That's all I was asking for... a report from someone with credibility whose judgment I value.

I get skeptical whenever I read so many excited reviews.

LOL...you are so spot on! I have taken a deep breath and exhaled.

But I don't like surprises and the first thing that came to mind when I got the notice that it would stop working is that I was yet again being nickled and dimed to death. I didn't know that this was a 'feature' of the software when I bought it.

I do realize it's only $60, but that $60 isn't in the budget and did I mention that I don't like surprises :cool:

Didn't go back and read all your posts to see if you mentioned you don't like surprises. You probably did. Anyway, isn't surprises what an emergency fund is for? :)

Glad you exhaled and relaxed.

It does all it is advertised to do. Works without impacting system (low overhead), restores are simple and security is the same as Mozy (e.g. 448-bit Blowfish encryption).

Don't belive me? Fine. Just look at all the testimonials on the product. Here's one for you:

Carbonite Review | The Best Online Backup Service? | TechWizBackup - Guide To Online Backup

And here's one on the security side:

Carbonite Security Issues: Who Has Access To My Carbonite Backup?

If you have problems with it? Simply don't buy it (you can use it to test out and no CC needed). If it dosen't meet your requirements, then just don't sign up after the testing period.

I never had heard of this. It looks like it works by simply updating your files any time you are on the computer. The $50/year is no biggie and I KNOW I don't back up to my external hard drive frequently enough :nonono:.

The reviews are impressive. Regarding the encryption key - it sounds like if I manage the encryption key there are some issues - does it not back up automatically?

Also do you know if the subscription is per PC?

Thanks! I'm still doing research but it's reassuring to hear from someone who's using it.

So how come y'all have not latched on to the absolutely free, never-expiring, version of MS Money? All the downloading from your accounts is free as are stock quotes as described on a couple of web sites.

So I am still using MS Money because I'd hate to pay money when one can get it all for free.

Money is no longer being sold, it has been discontinued. Online help for it is gone as are a number of premier and online functions.
Looks like some online bank connections for downloading bank data will also stop working on the 31st of this month.
Looks like 'free' didn't work so well in this case.
Microsoft Money Home

Money is no longer being sold, it has been discontinued. Online help for it is gone as are a number of premier and online functions.
Looks like some online bank connections for downloading bank data will also stop working on the 31st of this month.
Looks like 'free' didn't work so well in this case.
I guess I have to really spell it out for you guys:
Microsoft Money Plus 'Sunset' Versions

Next, look how downloading bank data still works if you know the trick:
Install & Setup - PocketSense

And how many of you actually ever used online help for Quicken or MSMoney? Really?

I read that. It is nice that they are letting people down gently.
However, for people that like the convenience of automated and online services, this doesn't appear to be a very good option.
From the link you provided:
No online services. Discontinued services include online quotes, bill payment, statement downloads initiated by Money, data sync with MSN Money, etc. If your financial institution provides OFX or QIF statement downloads, the Sunset versions will allow you to import those statements into your Money file

And, as time goes by, there will be less and less support and fewer (eventually no) updates.
If you don't make use of the autamated downloads of data, bill pay, etc, I see no reason not to go to an Excel spreadsheet as others have mentioned.

Again, I applaud MS for weaning people off MSMoney gently. But I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone start using MS Money now.

You gotta read the second link as well. BTW, my old non-sunset version of MSMoney still downloads quotes and imports files created outside of MSMoney just fine.

I never had heard of this. It looks like it works by simply updating your files any time you are on the computer. The $50/year is no biggie and I KNOW I don't back up to my external hard drive frequently enough :nonono:.

The reviews are impressive. Regarding the encryption key - it sounds like if I manage the encryption key there are some issues - does it not back up automatically?

Also do you know if the subscription is per PC?

Thanks! I'm still doing research but it's reassuring to hear from someone who's using it.
- Yes, it does a backup on any file you create/update, from your PC to a server farm located in the Boston area.

- I let the system manage the encryption key. While I could do this myself, if I would lose the PC totally and wanted to do a restore (to the original, new, or different PC) I don't want to worry about tracking the key. All I have to remember is my Carbonite sign on/password and your subscription key is located there. If you maintain your own key and need to restore (a single file or an entire PC - for a re-build) and you forget/mis-place your own key, you will be out of luck. You cannot get your data back.

- The subscription is per PC. In my case, I have three PC's with a lot of common files (such as pictures). I keep all "master copies" on my desktop (which runs Carbonite) and the other two laptops are for travel or just around the house. For instance, if I use my net book to dump my camera SD card while on vacation, I just sync up to the desktop when I get home. Carbonite will recognize the new files on the sync and do the backup of the pictures (or any other file I may create and sync back to the desktop).

If you manage your "network" in such a manner, you only need one copy running on your main "server", fed by any other PC's you have, and sync back to that "server" (in my case, my desktop).

Also, most of my important files (e.g. TT, Quicken, etc.) data are only kept on the desktop. I don't keep any "important" files on my other two portable PC's, since I don't want those files being able to be used by somebody if either of my "travel PC's" are lost or stolen.

Just to note that if you sign up for the free trial, you cannot backup picture or video files (you can if you actually buy the product after your testing). Also, depending on the number of files a full initial backup of your PC may run a week or so (24x7). Since it is low overhead, it doesn’t really matter. However once your base backup is done, backups don't run more than a few minutes per day (and frequently, since it is demand based; it does not save and do a bulk backup but does so every few minutes after you update any files). Additionally, you have the option to auto-update after a file is created/updated (as suggested, and what I do) or if you want to schedule a backup on a certain day/time, you have that calendar option to do so. BTW, the full backup of everything for me (pictures and all) consisting of about 30GB took nine days total (DSL), running in the background while I did other things. Again, the initial backup does take long but adhoc backup/restores are quick.

I've already tested the restore and it has run easily and quickly. Also, if you are short on disk space, you can simply delete your local file after doing the backup. If you ever need a copy, you can restore it from the Carbonite server. This really is not a problem these days (disk is cheap) but I'm just bringing it up since I found that is an option.

And for those "aw sh**" moments that you find you deleted a file (and from the trashcan)? Simply restore it from Carbonite. BTW, you can simply go into the Carbonite folder and see those files that have been backed up and deleted from your PC. If you truly want to get rid of the file, you simply delete it from the Carbonite folder. I don't delete anything (e.g. housecleaning) from the Carbonite folder. It doesn’t matter how much I have backed up on the system since they don't charge you by storage used, as some other backup products do currently.

For me, it's meant that I no longer have to have a schedule of system/file backups and taking the CD's to my bank (where I did store them, previously) and rush to backup important files when we travel (I want to get them out of the house in case of burglary/fire). My data is too important to lose (I've already gone through that) and I'm willing to pay a few dollars per year to ensure its "safety".

We're very hit and miss backup-wise - but we do back up Quicken on multiple computers and a flash drive that travels with us if we're gone for more than 3-4 days. Our Quicken version is an older one, but we don't use it for downloading stock prices (Vanguard can let us know what we still have) or online bill payment as various banks do that free.

An old laptop took a dump down here with lots of music on it - bought a new used CPU that came nice and clean with XP and some nifty software - including ACRONIS - 30 days free, $50 for the full version. May spring for that - Cnet seems to like it:
Acronis True Image Home - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Anyone using it?

I use it. It is probably the best recovery software I have ever used -- well, for PC's.

The ability to boot the little Acronis operating system from a CD and do a restore is nice.

Edit to add, I use an older version that does not have some of the bells and whistles of the 2011 version. Acronis True Image seems to be running the typical software life cycle -- few features and great function in the early years, followed by years of bloating the tool (and introducing bugs) to make more sales, followed by versions with features that try to do everything and wind up doing nothing well.

Back
Top Bottom