Some early retirees have second thoughts

I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so.
Many of us think you're on the right track...good luck.

I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so. Sure, DH and I have been concerned, like most folks, to see our net worth go down. Even so, we realize it's really just a dip in our long term financial picture and there's no reason to panic.
If this accurately describes the position, I'd take it too. And part of my reason would be that I wanted the money. All our figuring and plans are based on a supposed map of what can/will happen. What does happen is yet to be revealed.

In my own case, I think plenty about money adequacy. And it has nothing to do with this supposed bear market. Since 10/31/2007 my accounts are up 1%, even after taking out $48,500 in living expenses and taxes during that time. So while not a bad result, I am losing when inflation is considered. Living from a portfolio is harder than it looks.

So good luck with your plans. I hope you enjoy it and also make a pile.

Ha

It's a process. Each of us has to find our own path through life - there is no one way.

Agreed. For me, work was a job (e.g. not a "career"). I did it strictly for the income/benefits.

I did it because I was required to, not because I had any pride nor thinking that I was "part of a larger picture". It was simply something I needed to do for me (and later, my family) to survive with the basics of food, clothing, and shelter.

I still consider myself lucky. I "got out" at an early age and these days (for the first time) I awake every day with a smile on my face :D ...

- Ron

Hey everyone,

I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so.

Purron

Work?
img_705583_0_7bd9eabcb00192ca198d19cb176ee024.jpg
Do what makes you happy. That's what it's all about.

Hey everyone,

Purron

Purron -- I don't think you're out of your mind. One thought might be to see if you can work part-time in the new position. That can provide a more gentle transition to your new life.

While I'll concede it's the exception (and you're evidently from the unhappy majority) --- why do you think it's impossible to be paid for doing the "neatest, coolest big 'thing' you could be a part of?"
I didn't say it was impossible to be paid for that. My point was that when you no longer have to worry about making a living, a whole new world of choices opens up. Whether you decide to get paid or not (and how much) is entirely up to you.

Anyone can do whatever they want. I know people who still work who have more money than they will ever need in their lifetime, and yes, they would probably do it for free. I certainly understand their motivation.

Audrey

I don't know if I will return to work, but have thought about it particularly since a very interesting opportunity has recently come my way. It's a position which pays very well, involves fastinating work, and provides an chance to do something really important. It was strange it came my way at this particular time.
Well that certainly sounds like a positive motive to get involved.

Audrey

Anyone can do whatever they want.

Maybe in your dreams...... But I don't think so...... Lots of folks stuck doiing things they don't really want to do.....

Maybe in your dreams...... But I don't think so...... Lots of folks stuck doiing things they don't really want to do.....
Whatever they want in terms of choosing to get paid or not (once they no longer need to earn a living).

Audrey

I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so. Sure, DH and I have been concerned, like most folks, to see our net worth go down. Even so, we realize it's really just a dip in our long term financial picture and there's no reason to panic.
Here's a thought experiment to try before you shake hands over the offer:

Would you still take the job if you were required to pay taxes on your income and then donate the rest to charity? In other words, no net financial gain or benefits?

Here's a thought experiment to try before you shake hands over the offer:

Would you still take the job if you were required to pay taxes on your income and then donate the rest to charity? In other words, no net financial gain or benefits?

Interesting thought Nords. I haven't even submitted an application let alone received an offer, but I will think about this. Right now, I would be inclined to say no to your question. While the job would be very interesting, I wouldn't take it without some financial gain.

Back
Top Bottom