Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
SS benefits and spending
Old 05-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
SS benefits and spending

In 1993 when I jumped ship, I gave little or no thought to how
SS (13 years away then) would impact ER. Too far off to bother
considering. Now, only 16 months away, it makes all the difference.
I've made it all this way with no SS and no IRA withdrawals.
In 1993 that would have seemed preposterous. The point is
that for us, SS kicking in will make a huge difference. It will
amount to most of our income (by far) in retirement, and we have lived (well) for many years without any at all. Impossible to overstate the importance to us.

JG
__________________

__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 768
Re: SS benefits and spending

I hope it is still there in 20 years when I get there.
__________________

__________________
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: SS benefits and spending

Me too!
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-09-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
Re: SS benefits and spending

me three ...

My Texas teacher retirement has no cola, ccurrently at 27,000/year ... but it does offer medical coverage (about 240/month with prescription coverage) for all retirees including early ones like me.

I am counting on the estimated $1022/month at age 62 (now am 59 retired at 53) to offset inflation. The only way pension might increase is my act of Texas Legislature (check) .

The pension and comming SS benefits represent the bond portion of my portfolio. I will begin moving as much of my qualified (tax deferred) portfolio into taxable accounts each year while the tax rates are this low.

I own and lease a small condo in Ausitn that nets about $5000/yr positive cash flow and a 25 acre ridge top small ranch that has an agricultural exemption ($2/acre taxes). Could divide it and sell a beautiful building site if I had too.

Will buy equity funds funds that are income oriented in the American family of funds. I get a break point that sets my front end load at 2% rather than the 5 3/4 percent.

I anticipate a decades long period of moderate to high inflation rate, and feel that American's Income Fund of America (AMECX), Fundamental Investors (ANCFX), Investment Company of America (AIVSX) and Capital World Growth and Investment (CWGIX) offer a good defensive stance to augment the rest of my portfolio. All are rated NO ALARM funds with lowest risk rating on the Fundalarm site. All pay decent quarterly dividends.

The funds I already own in Taxable accounts are Washington Mutual Investors (AWSHX) and EuroPac (AEPGX) as core holdings.

The American funds are noted for their low fees once you get past the front load and conservative comittee style of management.

I feel this should set me for life. Currently the pension and condo rental provide enough cash flow that I need not touch the rest of the portfolio at this time.

I figure I am set for life. Net worth about 1.4 M . The real estate within an hour of Austin and San Antonio might tripple in a 5 years as baby boomers head for the hills, but would not really want to sell paradise.

Comments ?
__________________
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: SS benefits and spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
me three ...

* My Texas teacher retirement has no cola, ccurrently at 27,000/year ...* * but it does offer medical coverage (about 240/month with prescription coverage) for all retirees including early ones like me.

* I am counting on the estimated $1022/month at age 62 (now am 59 retired at 53) to offset inflation. The only way pension might increase is my act of Texas Legislature (check) .

* The pension and comming SS benefits represent the bond portion of my portfolio. I will begin moving as much of my qualified (tax deferred) portfolio into taxable accounts each year while the tax rates are this low.

I own and lease a small condo in Ausitn that nets about $5000/yr positive cash flow and a 25 acre ridge top small ranch that has an agricultural exemption ($2/acre taxes). Could divide it and sell a beautiful building site if I had too.

* Will buy equity funds funds that are income oriented in the American family of funds. I get a break point that sets my front end load at 2% rather than the 5 3/4 percent.

I anticipate a decades long period of moderate to high inflation rate, and feel that American's Income Fund of America (AMECX), Fundamental Investors (ANCFX), Investment Company of America (AIVSX) and Capital World Growth and Investment (CWGIX) offer a good defensive stance to augment the rest of my portfolio. All are rated NO ALARM funds with lowest risk rating on the Fundalarm site. All pay decent quarterly dividends.

* The funds I already own in Taxable accounts are Washington Mutual Investors (AWSHX) and EuroPac (AEPGX) as core holdings.

* The American funds are noted for their low fees once you get past the front load and conservative comittee style of management.

I feel this should set me for life. Currently the pension and condo rental provide enough cash flow that I need not touch the rest of the portfolio at this time.

I figure I am set for life. Net worth about 1.4 M . The real estate within an hour of Austin and San Antonio might tripple in a 5 years as baby boomers head for the hills, but would not really want to sell paradise.

Comments ?
I'm jealous.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: SS benefits and spending

7 figure net worth, pension, health care coverage, good backup plans, if you weren't retired, we'd collectively shake some sense into you! You have my dream scenario, Ol_Rancher!
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: SS benefits and spending

Ol Rancher...why do you pay a 2% front load for funds that have no-load competition that performs as well or better?
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-11-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 19
Re: SS benefits and spending

You must have worked 40 quarters outside teaching to be able to get SS. My wife is a retired teacher and she cannot draw it because she only worked for the Texas state gov't.
__________________
kenepp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 768
Re: SS benefits and spending

The worst part of not being eligible for Social Security is that you are also not eligible for Medicare. There are teachers who have plenty of teacher pension to retire, but don't because they fear rising medical costs.
__________________
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 199
Re: SS benefits and spending


My husband has worked for a government agency his whole career and will not be entitled to Social Security, but will be entitled to Medicare at 65.
__________________
Ginger
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 768
Re: SS benefits and spending

Apparently some people are eligible. Thank you for correcting my false impression Ginger.
__________________
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-12-2005, 04:08 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid Hudson Valley
Posts: 1,778
Re: SS benefits and spending

Ol Ranchers with Ol Habits die hard. I too owned an American Fund and paid plenty of fees. But I really loved the darn thing. Made good money for a long time. I don't think O_R is destined for VG anytime soon. He having too much fun enjoying his life plan. Which looks way better than most. Declare victory Ol Rancher!
__________________
In a panamax down by the river.
BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 199
Re: SS benefits and spending

Michael, my husband, a government worker, had money taken out of his salary for Medicare contributions. Also, he has a "medical grant" -- money that is being taken out of his salary to offset future retirement medical plan costs.
__________________
Ginger
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 768
Re: SS benefits and spending

Ok, that's the difference. The school teacher I talked to never had Medicare or Social Security taken out of his pay check. Retirees have to pay their own health insurance through a group plan sponsored by the school teacher's union. Its very expensive, and going up fast.
__________________
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 768
Re: SS benefits and spending

I also talked to a pastor who told me that pastors had the right to opt out of Social Security. One of his freinds did that, not realizing that he was also opting out of Medicare. He found out that private health care policies are very expensive for those over 65, especially if they have any health problems.
__________________
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
Re: SS benefits and spending

Off topic, but do you guys ever remember the "Pastor Fuzz" joke.

I'm sure you do JG.
__________________
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 714
Re: SS benefits and spending

This is a subject of great interest to me now ... age 53, and wife is 54. We're doing pretty well on our retirement plans, BUT, if SS isn't there, and we have to depend entirely upon our savings ... we won't be living high on the hog, if we can get by at all.

On one hand, I'd like to see how reform shakes out ... on the other hand, not sure I want to know, based upon recent reports. While I believe in the private account concept, the timing is too short under recent proposals. Will really hurt those of us within 10 to 15 years of SS, it appears.
__________________
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: SS benefits and spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
I also talked to a pastor who told me that pastors had the right to opt out of Social Security.* One of his freinds did that, not realizing that he was also opting out of Medicare.* He found out that private health care policies are very expensive for those over 65, especially if they have any health problems.
Surely god will take care of him.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-13-2005, 03:19 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: SS benefits and spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
Surely god will take care of him.
Hi SG, I think sarcasm is my dept.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: SS benefits and spending
Old 05-13-2005, 04:03 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: SS benefits and spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
This is a subject of great interest to me now ... age 53, and wife is 54.* We're doing pretty well on our retirement plans, BUT, if SS isn't there, and we have to depend entirely upon our savings ... we won't be living high on the hog, if we can get by at all.

On one hand, I'd like to see how reform shakes out ... on the other hand, not sure I want to know, based upon recent reports.* While I believe in the private account concept, the timing is too short under recent proposals.* Will really hurt those of us within 10 to 15 years of SS, it appears.
Hello Charles! We are 60 and 56 and could cut back pretty
severely if necessary. However, SS will be necessary to support
our retirement. I am counting on something pretty close to what
we are shown as age 62 benefits. I could lose 100% of my bond/CD
portfolio and still make it work. With no SS, our ER would be dead in the
water.

JG
__________________

__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Equity Is Altering Spending Habits and View of Debt Craig FIRE and Money 6 02-21-2009 01:25 PM
Housing prices down; Stock Market down; Economy slowing; & the benefits dex FIRE and Money 32 03-16-2007 05:46 PM
endowment method of retirement spending starboardtack FIRE and Money 31 06-21-2006 07:50 PM
Tax-Reform and the Housing Market. Danny FIRE and Money 143 10-25-2005 12:16 AM
Leisure Spending?? haha FIRE and Money 31 10-03-2004 09:45 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.