SS Question w/Disability

sakowitzm

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all - long time lurker; thanks for all the great info over the years. Here's my question.

My wife has cancer and has been receiving SS Disability since 2014. She is currently 58 and I am 59; we are both retired. If she should pass away in the next few years -- that is, before her FRA and before I begin claiming Social Security, am I entitled to some kind of spousal benefit, as a widower? What I'm thinking here is that if I am, then I could wait longer, possibly to age 70 before claiming against MY social security.

Thanks for any insight on this.

DW was on SSDI when she passed at 52.
I am expecting a small survivors benefit starting when I turn 60.

That is what I did. My husband was not at FRA when he passed away and I was not yet claiming my own SS. I filed for survivor SS when I was 61 and am holding off taking
my own until I turn 70.

GravitySucks -- Since DW was already on SSDI, are you anticipating receiving a monthly benefit of the same amount as when she passed? Or perhaps same amount increased by annual COLA since then? Or perhaps some other amount?

I believe a widow/widower can receive a spousal benefit as early as age 60, or age 50 if you are disabled.
At age 60 it would be approx. 71%? of the full benefit I think. Again, not 100% sure as I have not done it yet. You can of course delay and it would be larger but for me it makes sense to go ahead and file as soon as needed.

I plan to do the same tho, file survivor at 60 and my benefit at 70. So sorry about your wife's illness. cancer sucks big time.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/survivorchartred.html

Last edited:
GravitySucks -- Since DW was already on SSDI, are you anticipating receiving a monthly benefit of the same amount as when she passed? Or perhaps same amount increased by annual COLA since then? Or perhaps some other amount?

Sorry, I'm not sure. I have an estimate that 71%of the FRA amount that I'll receive will be a little less than she was getting, but that's a ballpark guess. ( $500 vs. $700..)

Sorry, I'm not sure. I have an estimate that 71%of the FRA amount that I'll receive will be a little less than she was getting, but that's a ballpark guess. ( $500 vs. $700..)

I think yours would be a little higher than the 71% I estimated because of your age. (I’m 55) Check that chart which shows the amount it is reduced at age 62. You are almost 60 now, so if you had to claim in a few years you would adjust accordingly. Down at the bottom it says that a $1000 benefit would be reduced to $715 if claimed at age 60 ie 71%

But it’s ss, no telling with them! I’m sure it would be the cola adjusted amount, not today’s amount.

I think yours would be a little higher than the 71% I estimated because of your age. (I’m 55) Check that chart which shows the amount it is reduced at age 62. You are almost 60 now, so if you had to claim in a few years you would adjust accordingly. Down at the bottom it says that a $1000 benefit would be reduced to $715 if claimed at age 60 ie 71%

But it’s ss, no telling with them! I’m sure it would be the cola adjusted amount, not today’s amount.
I'm planning on filing for survivor at 60 (6 months) and my benefits at 70. That's where I get the 71%

Oops... I see the confusion. The $700 was SSDI, the $500 is what I expect for survivors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom