Join Early Retirement Today

SS Question w/Disability
Old 03-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

SS Question w/Disability

Hi all - long time lurker; thanks for all the great info over the years. Here's my question.

My wife has cancer and has been receiving SS Disability since 2014. She is currently 58 and I am 59; we are both retired. If she should pass away in the next few years -- that is, before her FRA and before I begin claiming Social Security, am I entitled to some kind of spousal benefit, as a widower? What I'm thinking here is that if I am, then I could wait longer, possibly to age 70 before claiming against MY social security.

Thanks for any insight on this.

sakowitzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW was on SSDI when she passed at 52.
I am expecting a small survivors benefit starting when I turn 60.

GravitySucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

That is what I did. My husband was not at FRA when he passed away and I was not yet claiming my own SS. I filed for survivor SS when I was 61 and am holding off taking
my own until I turn 70.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

GravitySucks -- Since DW was already on SSDI, are you anticipating receiving a monthly benefit of the same amount as when she passed? Or perhaps same amount increased by annual COLA since then? Or perhaps some other amount?
sakowitzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe a widow/widower can receive a spousal benefit as early as age 60, or age 50 if you are disabled.
At age 60 it would be approx. 71%? of the full benefit I think. Again, not 100% sure as I have not done it yet. You can of course delay and it would be larger but for me it makes sense to go ahead and file as soon as needed.

I plan to do the same tho, file survivor at 60 and my benefit at 70. So sorry about your wife's illness. cancer sucks big time.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivo...rchartred.html
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakowitzm View Post
GravitySucks -- Since DW was already on SSDI, are you anticipating receiving a monthly benefit of the same amount as when she passed? Or perhaps same amount increased by annual COLA since then? Or perhaps some other amount?

Sorry, I'm not sure. I have an estimate that 71%of the FRA amount that I'll receive will be a little less than she was getting, but that's a ballpark guess. ( $500 vs. $700..)
GravitySucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Sorry, I'm not sure. I have an estimate that 71%of the FRA amount that I'll receive will be a little less than she was getting, but that's a ballpark guess. ( $500 vs. $700..)

I think yours would be a little higher than the 71% I estimated because of your age. (Iím 55) Check that chart which shows the amount it is reduced at age 62. You are almost 60 now, so if you had to claim in a few years you would adjust accordingly. Down at the bottom it says that a $1000 benefit would be reduced to $715 if claimed at age 60 ie 71%

But itís ss, no telling with them! Iím sure it would be the cola adjusted amount, not todayís amount.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
I think yours would be a little higher than the 71% I estimated because of your age. (I’m 55) Check that chart which shows the amount it is reduced at age 62. You are almost 60 now, so if you had to claim in a few years you would adjust accordingly. Down at the bottom it says that a $1000 benefit would be reduced to $715 if claimed at age 60 ie 71%

But it’s ss, no telling with them! I’m sure it would be the cola adjusted amount, not today’s amount.
I'm planning on filing for survivor at 60 (6 months) and my benefits at 70. That's where I get the 71%

Oops... I see the confusion. The $700 was SSDI, the $500 is what I expect for survivors.