SS with large age gaps

karen1972

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I haven't been able to find enough information online, so hoped to get some help here. My parents have a 10 year age gap. My father is 82, my mother is 72.

So the first thing I realized is that when my mother took 1/2 my fathers SS, she was eligible for 1/2 of it at his age 65 thus didnt account for any COLA, thus is significantly less than 1/2 his current payment.

So my question is assuming my father will pass prior to my mom, would she be eligible for his current payment or just double her current payment. Right now that is almost a $400 delta so for planning purposes I need to be sure to account for it if she loses the COLA portion.

I believe she will be eligible for 100% your Dad's
benefit at the time of death.

So the first thing I realized is that when my mother took 1/2 my fathers SS, she was eligible for 1/2 of it at his age 65 thus didnt account for any COLA, thus is significantly less than 1/2 his current payment.
I'm reading this to say your mother's spousal benefit has never had a COLA adjustment increase since she was age 65. Is that what you're say & is what happened? If so, that doesn't sound right.

Back
Top Bottom