Steve Martin on SNL

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did anyone catch Saturday Night Live this last Sat? Steve Martin had the funniest finacnial advice I ever heard on TV. they ran a little infomercial for a personal finance book called "Get Out of Debt."

Chris Parnell plays the author talking about his book to indebted couple played by Steve Martin and Amy Poehler.

Apparently the big secret is, "Don't Buy Stuff You Can't Afford."

And the book is only one page long.

Even better in the dialog:
- "But where do I get this so called 'saved money'?"

-- "That's in Chapter 3"

- "So let me get this straight, if I save my money, and want to buy something..."

-- "Then buy it"

- "Okay, now same situation... but I don't have the money"

-- "No"

- "This is so confusing"

I'm now worried, if this actually becomes the conventional wisdon people will start saving and the economy will collapse and there goes my ER.

Naw, that's just a parody of the "get out of debt" genre of books. That genre has been around for long enough to prove that nobody really follows any of the "get out of debt" advice. As soon as everyone on tv starts talking about how cool it is to pay off all your debts, credit cards and auto and home loans, then we might have an economic problem. For a few months until that fad passes on. :)

yakers said:
Did anyone catch Saturday Night Live this last Sat?
I think that was the best SNL episode this millenium, and maybe even a good bit of the last millenium. I was especially impressed with Prince's guitar playing.

It's funny to watch Steve Martin bridge the generation gap. Spouse & I know him from "King Tut", his banjo, and "Wild & Crazy Guy". Our 13-year-old knows him from "Cheaper By The Dozen" and a few other kid-friendly movies. She thought he was "just" a funny actor and she didn't even realize he knew how to do stand-up comedy... and of course his opening monologue about Belushi & Ackroyd was totally lost on her.

She never knew that Eddie Murphy was on SNL. I actually had her look it up on the Internet before she realized I wasn't joking.

I get the same incredulous response when I tell her that Jennifer Lopez & Jim Carrey used to be on "In Living Color".

Sigh. We're going to have to locate DVDs of the first five seasons of SNL and whatever's been released of "In Living Color". Maybe then our kid will understand our point of view!

I know what dat is. What in the hell is dat?

They actually had a SNL best of Steve Martin last week on Comedy Central. Very funny stuff from the 70's on up.

Here it is!!!
http://tinyurl.com/djrhr

You need a fast internet connection or some time to download.
Hey REWahoo, I nominate this for the "best of" board. While I think most posters on the RE board are well past this it just seems remarkable how many people just don't "get it". Maybe have them watch this Steve Martin clip?

yakers said:
Here it is!!!
http://tinyurl.com/djrhr

You need a fast internet connection or some time to download.
Hey REWahoo, I nominate this for the "best of" board. While I think most posters on the RE board are well past this it just seems remarkable how many people just don't "get it". Maybe have them watch this Steve Martin clip?

It gets my vote as reqired reading for anyone new to the board.

Any way to find a shorter clip? I only have a 256k connection and it locks up my browser when I try to download. If we can find something more manageable, even a screen shot with an abbreviated summary of the script, I'll recommend it to Dory.

That was a good sketch. They should show it in high schools.

Martin's intro sketch to SNL was fantastic, but the rest of that show was pretty ho-hum.

Back
Top Bottom