Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Three time a week

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • More than three times a week

Votes: 31 34.1%

• Total voters

uncledrz

Full time employment: Posting here.
We just watched Super Size Me (man eats only at McDonald's for a month) and the discussion went on to how difficult it is to eat a "healthy" diet while eating out/taking out.
We eat out once or twice a week, and prepare our own food otherwise. We know people who eat out at least once a day. With the proliferation of chain restaurants, it seems that as a Nation we must be eating out on a regular basis.
How does it apply to this group?

Since you did not say only evenings.. and mentioned that someone ate out once a day.... then I am over the limit...

I eat out for lunch every work day.. but then maybe 2 or 3 dinners...

I watched an investigate report a couple years back on what sometimes happens when your food is prepared and I get ill just thinking about not eating food I did not prepare myself. 

I have not eaten out in 2+ years.

When I was working (and before I saw that report) I ate out 10-15xs per week. 

Once every couple of weeks. 

Don't eat out much mostly because Greg is such a good cook.  Also, I do not like fast food. 

We eat out about 3 times per week, usually chinese, thai or mexican - lunches. I don't know how these resturants can make profit on the spread they put out for $4-5 - often there is enough for dinner left over.
Going to SanDiego next week for 6 days--can't wait to go to our favorite resturant in old town!

I eat out maybe once or twice a week in the evening. Depending on how lazy busy I am, I take breakfast and lunch to work, but otherwise I eat a few meals in the cafeteria at work...

Average of 4x/wk. Go out for lunch while at work 1-2x a week (same for DW). And maybe 1-2x on weekends.

I assumed the number was much higher, as I feel like I am constantly going out to eat. I guess I have leftovers from restaurants for subsequent meals, so that increases the perceived number of eat-out meals.

Our office picks up food usually 3 days a week. Other than that I bring something or don't eat lunch.

My wife and I try to cook during the week, but we both really like to eat out. We usually go out friday and Sat night

If you don't count lunch at the cafeteria at work, probably twice a week. Lunch at work 5 days a week, but it's pretty inexpensive and healthy, if not tasty.

My wife & I have an agreement not to eat out more than three times a day, which we break often enough if you count Peets Coffee stops.

Since I arrived in Tucson, I eat out once or twice a week. Although, I have a kitchen and make most of my simple meals but I need a change of pace every so often, so I eat a mexican meal and an "all you can eat" indian buffet. Still pretty inexpensive. My ice cream desserts one to two times a week are free until the end of september with coupons. I still have a perfect record of not eating at fast food places even when I made my 4 day trek drive across the US.

We generally eat out a couple of times a week, usually on the weekends, but it's rarely fast-food. Once a week, we go out for a nice meal, usually with wine, dessert and an after dinner drink ($$$). We also usually go to the local Chinese or Mexican restaurant or Brew Pub once a week ($). Occasionally, we just bring home a pizza and watch a movie. I suspect that we will not dine out quite as often after ER.

-Steve

It's NOT difficult to eat healthy when you eat out. It does severely limit your choice of restaurants and menu items. But there are usually enough decent places and menu choices to fashion a reasonably healthy meal.

We do tend to make the wait staff earn their tip with many special requests - usually complied with quite happily.

We never set foot in a fast-food place - NEVER! Disgusting!

We are obviously different from the general population in this respect, because I'm always amazed at the huge numbers of fast food restaurants and they obviously have enough business to stay afloat!

Audrey

Thanks for the replies.

The film was upsetting/provacative in that it made a connection between increasing obesity and fast food consumption.

I wanted to see in this group if people ate out and yet were able to control what they ate. Obviously as a group we do. Yet as a nation doesn't seem that we are able to.

(Note: the film pointed out that fast food and obesity is not just an American problem, but worldwide-- I don't know if this is true or not, or whether the connection between fast food and obesity is direct, but that's the point it made).

audreyh1 said:
We never set foot in a fast-food place - NEVER!  Disgusting!
Eh, I think you're just saying that because they won't let grownups use the PlayPlace...

tio z said:
Note: the film pointed out that fast food and obesity is not just an American problem, but worldwide-- I don't know if this is true or not, or whether the connection between fast food and obesity is direct, but that's the point it made.
America's greatest export-- McCulture.

The movie, Super Size resulted in my cessation in eating fast foods. Shortly after seeing the movie, I read Fast Food Nation and never ate beef again. :p

When traveling, I like McDonald's coffee and big breakfast. Otherwise, no fast foods.

I think Morgan Spurlock did a wonderful job on Supersize Me, and his TV show 30 days is similarly good, even if I don't always agree with how he treats the subjects he covers.

I eat fast good nearly everyday, but at least try to visit the healthier (less unhealthy?) places like Subway, El Pollo Loco, Chipotle (the last two are probably wishful thinking). I rarely eat at McDonald's though unless the kids insist.

Donzo, what is your favorite restaurant in Old Town San Diego:confused: We will be down that way in a few weeks.

tio z said:
I wanted to see in this group if people ate out and yet were able to control what they ate.  Obviously as a group we do.  Yet as a nation doesn't seem that we are able to.
Here's the thing with fast food that makes it irresistible to the American Public:

• It's CHEAP - it's really hard to create your own healthy meal and do so cheaper. Cheap food tends to be unhealthy - just the way it is.
  • It's CONVENIENT - Americans are so strapped for time it's ridiculous. This is a cultural problem - for some reason we always have to do so much all the time nowadays.
  • It Tastes Good - well it doesn't to me. But I believe that people "get addicted" to certain foods - and certainly if they eat them often enough they get "cravings" for them and I think the fatty, over-sugared, over-salted, high-processed-carb foods that are served in these places get people to crave these foods over time. And I think many Americans think fast food tastes really good - they must, or else they wouldn't patronize these places so readily. We all know how easily kids get "addicted" to places like McDonalds.

Eating healthy takes a certain amount of effort and some discipline too if you are easily attracted to unhealthy choices. It's just so much easier to say "chuck it" and swing by the local drive through and pick up something that will quickly sate the appetite.

Audrey

Ginger said:
Donzo,  what is your favorite restaurant in Old Town San Diego:confused:  We will be down that way in a few weeks. 
No Rubio's in Hawaii. I can practically taste their burritos now...

audreyh1 said:
Here's the thing with fast food that makes it irresistible to the American Public:

• It's CHEAP - it's really hard to create your own healthy meal and do so cheaper. Cheap food tends to be unhealthy - just the way it is.
  • It's CONVENIENT - Americans are so strapped for time it's ridiculous. This is a cultural problem - for some reason we always have to do so much all the time nowadays.
  • It Tastes Good - well it doesn't to me. But I believe that people "get addicted" to certain foods - and certainly if they eat them often enough they get "cravings" for them and I think the fatty, over-sugared, over-salted, high-processed-carb foods that are served in these places get people to crave these foods over time. And I think many Americans think fast food tastes really good - they must, or else they wouldn't patronize these places so readily. We all know how easily kids get "addicted" to places like McDonalds.

Eating healthy takes a certain amount of effort and some discipline too if you are easily attracted to unhealthy choices. It's just so much easier to say "chuck it" and swing by the local drive through and pick up something that will quickly sate the appetite.

Audrey

Many years ago my now EX had high blood pressure. He had imitated his father in always heavily salting everything. He went cold turkey on added salt, couldn't taste anything for several days, then started appreciating the real and subtle taste of food.

He went through the same thing with sugar several years previous.

So, how's his blood pressure. And, if better, was it remedied without pills?

Back
Top Bottom