Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The cheapest thing you have ever done.... come on now, admit it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Drain laundry rinse water into buckets and use it to water plants.
We do that with the leachate from our vermiposting container... and the shower water while it's warming up.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

How about going to those resort sales meetings just to get the free gift. Practicing say no with the wife all the way there. ha ha

Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We do that with the leachate from our vermiposting container... and the shower water while it's warming up.
Tell me of your worms.

I am interested in vermiposting.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski
How about going to those resort sales meetings just to get the free gift. Practicing say no with the wife all the way there. ha ha
I think I'm doing that this weekend. Getting paid a $75 gift card to "evaluate" a "resort" presentation. Yeah right, I bet they're going to try to sell me a timeshare.

Then there's this: http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?topic=11945.0

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

How about failed attempts?

This weekend I tried to fix my HDTV. It's internal projection and about 5.5 years old. The convergence got busted ( I chatted about this on another thread) and I went through everything I could. Last try was the maintenance manual they give technicians. Tried all the benign stuff (advanced menu stuff etc.) and got to the portion where the modules that control convergence need to be replaced. So I got on a message board with instructions, ordered the parts (30 bucks vs. 400 for a technician), and got out the soldering kit. Now kids, this internal projection T.V. still has a CRT, which means capaciter. The back panel says, "DO NOT REMOVE - DEATH! OR HARM - OR DEATH! DID WE MENTION DEATH? MAY OCCUR!". I let the t.v. sit unplugged overnight, and wore insulating rubber gloves. Removed the mainboard, de-soldered the modules, re-soldered in the new ones, plugged it back in and powerd up. T.V. actually turned on and showed me picture (yay!), but the convergence was still off (boo!). At this point the manual said, "Next, replace the tri-phosphate dilithium crystal space modulator...." and I said, "Honey, we are going T.V. shopping!". :P
Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After two attempts to repair televisions that resulted in quotes to repair that were almost as high as a new set, I treat televisions as disposable once they stop working.

Unfortunately, the samsung crt big screen my wife bought 4 years ago bought the dust with a poof of smoke while the 12 year old maggotbox I bought on sale refuses to die a graceful death and continues to taunt me with its bad convergence and fuzzy picture.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
When DH's white dress shirt collar was showing signs of wear, I took it off, turned it around and resewed it. I have mad skills!
Wow! I understand that everyone did this "in the old days." That "collar-turning" was a service offered by the tailor.

good on you!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to the 99 cent store and purchased a bulk package of soups. The cashier tried to do the math in her head such that 18 soups = 99 cents. She wanted to ring up each soup package separately.

I didn't realize she rang them up incorrectly until we made it back to the car. She had overcharged an entire 56 cents when all was said and done. I went back in and recovered my 56 cents.

My wife just kept laughing at me on the way home.

It was my cheap lowpoint. I'm now looking for a 12 step program for people who cannot resist a deal
Old 03-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #149

I recently found 1 lb pkgs of carrots for 99 cents each. The 2 pounders were $1.99. I bought two 1 pounders and saved $.01.

Mike D.

Plus, I pointed it out to a fellow shopper next to me and she did the same thing and thanked me.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
I recently found 1 lb pkgs of carrots for 99 cents each. The 2 pounders were $1.99. I bought two 1 pounders and saved $.01.

Mike D.

Plus, I pointed it out to a fellow shopper next to me and she did the same thing and thanked me.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Do you need the recipe I gave tbone-Al for the birds who kept flying into his windows? Stuffing with sausage, wrapping in bacon and grilling?

I just need to figure out a way to get a cow to fly into one of my windows...

Take a drive thru Wyoming!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #152

A further comment on filling the mini toothpaste tube -

I tried taking a practically empty tube of toothpaste as has been mentioned - but they wouldn't allow it in airline carry-on luggage (I wasn't checking any bags) because it was a container bigger than three ounces.

YMMV.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Last month at a San Antonio Dollar Store (no such thing on Oahu!) I paid with a $20 and got three $5 bills in change... or so I thought. As I was stuffing the bills in my wallet I dropped one without realizing it and thus discovered that I only had two $5s.

So I reversed course to the cashier and politely but firmly informed him that I was short $5. He seemed a little surprised at his mistake but obligingly ponied up another $5, and I left happy.

My spouse hadn't seen any of that incident, but she had followed me back from the exit and she was happy too. When we got out to the parking lot she handed me my "missing" $5 and said "Honey, you'll never believe what happened near the registers. Some doofus must have dropped this $5 bill and didn't even realize it!"

I returned the $5 to the cashier and apologized profusely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Tell me of your worms.
I am interested in vermiposting.
Mindy Jaffe runs what I think may be the only vermiposting business on Oahu. The foreign pest rules here are pretty strict, so she has to find/breed her worms locally. There's no such thing as a big-box vermipost competitor here, so she gets to set her own pricing and they retail at about $10/ounce. We're in on the ground floor!

We went to a worm workshop at the end of 2006. There are two broad classes of worms-- endogenic, the underground kind that usually volunteer as bait, and epigeic, the surface dwellers eating decaying matter (and dodging early birds). Mindy started with worms from the Big Island's Parker Ranch & Waimanalo pig farms, so you can imagine what wild epigeics dine on. Considering their low dietary standards, a couple ounces of epigeic worms (~100 worms/ounce) will happily live in a one-gallon plant pot (with drainage holes) feasting on shredded wet newspaper & food waste. (We use mainly advertising inserts, banana peels, & apple cores.) The moist, warm conditions bring quick decay and the worms produce nutrient-rich vermicast. An ounce of worms with a square foot of surface area can snorkel through an ounce of waste per day. (Why, yes, I do know how much a banana peel weighs-- about 2-3 ounces.) If the waste is chopped into tiny pieces then it decomposes faster, the worms will eat more quickly, and they'll start breeding.

In small, dark spaces, well-fed epigeics will trade sperm with their neighbor worms and slough off egg sacs every 10-30 days. The geometric progression doubles the population every 60-90 days. We started with one ounce so at the end of this month we'll "harvest" the worms by splitting the pot's contents between two one-gallon pots.

By the end of 2007 we'll have worked our way up to a pound of worms and we'll be ready to step up to the "Can o' Worms"-- a four-tier stack of containers (imported from Australia) that keeps the worms close together (more breeding opportunities) while simplifying the waste-disposal process.

Our pot sits on our kitchen nook table and our Can o' Worms will sit on the floor next to it. There's no smell or flies or visiting bugs (if the food waste is properly covered with shredded newspaper) and already I'm only hauling about two-thirds as much compost down the hill as I used to. By 2008 all of our food waste will stay in the kitchen for vermiposting (up to a pound a day). I've heard that some Australian towns vermipost tons of food waste a day and are contemplating a "no landfill" policy.

Some substances can't easily be vermiposted-- oils, fats, carnivore poop, and some proteins. Coffee grounds, tea bags, and rotten rice/pasta, however, are yummy. Herbivore poop is fine (our bunny produces four ounces a day). Lots of citrus can be lethal to worms (limonine may be the cause) and papaya seeds can cause sterility. However it takes a lot of citrus & papaya to stop a pound of worms.

It's a fun hobby with a purpose. We only fill part of a 13-gallon trash bag a week (mostly with junk mail & scrap paper) and I don't have to run a big compost pile (unless I want to). Does this mean I'm eligible to sell carbon credits to Al Gore?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
showed me picture (yay!), but the convergence was still off (boo!).
If you haven't gotten rid of the TV, after you replace those convergence components, you will need to do a complete realignment of your convergence, and everything should be ok. All components are different, so merely replacing a component, even and active one, doesn't mean that everything resets back to some optimum spot. That's why they include those alignment options. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good
had overcharged an entire 56 cents when all was said and done. I went back in and recovered my 56 cents.
Last week at Frys, I looked at the pricing on a memory stick they were selling, and bought it, and when it was rung up at their cashier line, it seemed a different price. There was a lot of confusion going on around me, so it took be awhile to decide to go back to the component department to reverify the price, which was 1.56 cheaper. Went back to reclaim my overcharge, and got in line, went up to the cashier, and realized that the earlier confusion was because their in-store system was crashing. They appoligized and explained that they would reboot and give me my refund. Took them 20 minutes to reboot that system (don't understand why), and finally got my $1.56 back, and left the store. Did I mention this was on a 2GB memory costing $159 plus tax. They overcharged me almost 1%. Got my money back though.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have to run a big compost pile (unless I want to). Does this mean I'm eligible to sell carbon credits to Al Gore?

Hi Nords
I bet in an year or so time frame you could start selling carbon credits. The market is still in infancy but I bet it would get there soon.
I found this company which does it, so all you need is a website:

http://www.terrapass.com/index.html

-h
p.s: Btw they seem to be selling the same stuff over and over again too :-)

Old 03-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

anyone ever keep the expensive brand's container and fill it up with generic ?

like...... keeping the Log Cabin bottle and filling it with less expensive store brand syrup?

Personally, I would never admit to doing that......(because I've never been caught?). This only came up because somebody finished up the Log Cabin and threw out the bottle. The only syrup I had (stashed).......was the store's brand. Of course everyone criticized the 'new' store brand syrup. I did not bother to tell them that it's the same brand they've been using for years..... ignorance is bliss !

I guess I'll have to invest in a new bottle of Log Cabin.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...I had a bottle of kirkland vodka (decent, by the way) and refilled it a few times from a giant jug of smirnoff, because I really liked the cool kirkland bottle...thick crystal with a red bottom.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Hmmm...I had a bottle of kirkland vodka (decent, by the way) and refilled it a few times from a giant jug of smirnoff, because I really liked the cool kirkland bottle...thick crystal with a red bottom.
CFB: do you hit the vodka after a tough day of defending "take SS at 62" ??

just kidding, don't attack me
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #159
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I'm considering a cheap thing. We'll be going on a trip soon, and instead of buying a bunch of postcards there, I'm thinking I'll download some images, print them on heavy photo stock, cut them out, and take them with us!
That is a great idea!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz
Personally, I would never admit to doing that......(because I've never been caught?). This only came up because somebody finished up the Log Cabin and threw out the bottle. The only syrup I had (stashed).......was the store's brand. Of course everyone criticized the 'new' store brand syrup. I did not bother to tell them that it's the same brand they've been using for years..... ignorance is bliss !

I guess I'll have to invest in a new bottle of Log Cabin.
From The Onion (where I get ALL my news):
GOSHEN, INóCalling his actions "sensible" and "how it's going to be from now on," Glen Showalter, a Goshen-area father of three, defended his unpopular decision to purchase bargain-brand breakfast cereals Monday. . .

According to Showalter, the trouble started virtually the moment he arrived home with the groceries. . .

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38553