TODAY is one year to FIRE...

Puzzley

Recycles dryer sheets
On February 2, 2009, I will be officially unemployed at 64! Not really too early a retirement, but still somewhat early. At least Megacorp considers it early retirement....:D

I let them know waaaay ahead of time, because my job requires that I train a replacement. He was hired last October, 15 months before my FIRE date, and we've been working together ever since. Much of what I do is seasonal, so as I progress from this date forward, I'll pass milestones at which I'll say.... "Finished with that part forever". Can't wait...

On February 2, 2009, I will be officially unemployed at 64! Not really too early a retirement, but still somewhat early. At least Megacorp considers it early retirement....:D

I let them know waaaay ahead of time, because my job requires that I train a replacement. He was hired last October, 15 months before my FIRE date, and we've been working together ever since. Much of what I do is seasonal, so as I progress from this date forward, I'll pass milestones at which I'll say.... "Finished with that part forever". Can't wait...

How exciting! I'll be following right behind you, closer to the end of 2009. I can hardly wait. :D

Similar boat, but a little younger. I also must train a replacement. I hired one a few months ago and he is doing well so far, but I have 16-23 months to go. Date is not too firm yet. I have a lot of autonomy in what I do, so I could get the new guy in early. That said, no announcement frm me until I firm up a couple things, and I have to in order to comply with my long-ish notice period.
R

Very nice! Your last few months should be pretty easy as your replacement will be getting the hang of it and you will be there just to answer questions. Enjoy!

Nice going Puzzley - with that schedule it sounds like an easy way to slow down and roll off the band wagon. I have 2 years to go and the firm knows about it also.

Wow, sounds like a sweet situation. Kind of get to savor it as you move closer to FIRE. My timeline is longer than yours, but I hope you enjoy the luxury of the long notice and planning period. In my industry (technology) that kind of company loyalty is a thing of the past, not to mention I work for a cutthroat company that likes to cut costs by shedding expensive (can't say older anymore) workers and a new boss who's trying to make a name for himself as a "tough" manager. Any kind of extended notice would likely be job suicide, so no way to give long notice until I'm actually truely ready to FIRE. Glad yours is working out so well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom