Unexpected fraud on card

Have had about one a year for the past four years all credit card. The latest was a person using my card to buy airline tickets on frontier on the east coast. I disputed within 15 minutes of the time it hit because I was in my account when the CC company sent the fraud alert. We froze it and replaced the card and then Frontier proceeded to fight the CC company saying it MUST BE ME and the proof that they sent had my card and the name of the traveler who wasn't me. I again said it wasn't me to my CC company and then looked up the name and address of the person listed on search and found a string of newspaper articles on all of the frauds this person had been arrested for in his home town. CC went back to Frontier and it still insisted but CC company removed from my account . What bothered me most is all of this happened well in advance of the scheduled flights and Frontier said they couldn't pull the tickets once issued. BS to them

Widespread fraud

This morning I woke up to see a fraud alert from our US bank. We live in England and the alert was for 2 charges to our bank account using our debit card in a Safeway grocery store in Arizona. The charges were $50 and $4.58. I called the bank to confirm that it was not us and to cancel the card.

This was unexpected because we haven't been in the USA since September 2017 and we have only ever used that debit card to withdraw money from ATMs when visiting the USA. Talking with the agent she said the transactions were made using a contactless card. I also confirmed with her that we have no automated charges associated with the card. The only automated charges on that bank account is a direct debit to a charity, and that has been in place for years.

I have no idea how the fraudsters could possibly have found the numbers on that card to have created a contactless debit card. If I had used an ATM with a scanner or camera in September 2017 then the thieves have taken a long time to duplicate the card.

We also have US credit cards on that bank account and when I first saw the alert this morning it was the credit card account I looked at first, never even thought that it was the debit card.

Hello all ! I’m from Canada ( just north of Toronto )
I have been reading the papers and many articles keep appearing on how fraud has so so skyrocketed in Canada . I felt humiliated trying to prove that I actually existed when I applied for my pension ( just retired Oct 31, 2018 ) just a few months earlier . I felt that I had to prove my existence for the amount of documents they requested . They didn’t ask for any proof ( because of fraud ) when they took pension deductions off my paycheque for 36 years ( full time ) or go out of their way to make sure that I was done wrong by !

Earlier I opened an account to put a large sum at a financial institution from federal bonds that had matured . By the time I left the bank , I felt violated . I had all my documents - ID etc but they kept prying to find out more and more .

I was at another branch earlier that week and overheard a women calling the police in an office ( the door was open) . Someone had attempted to get a cash advance with a fake drivers licence and I guess a fake credit card ( that’s small stuff ) .

Yesterday I read of increased kidnapping where the ransome is demanded to be paid in bit coin crypto currency . Many victims have already paid large sums to have their loved ones released .

I think as time progresses - criminals get smarter as they learn the financial institutions methods of security and this will continue til the end of time . Recently a coworker of mine discovered that someone had put a mortgage on title of their home thru fraud . It prompted me to put title insurance on my house . Another acquaintance of mine had her identity compromised .

It’s a jungle out there and I have no advice for anyone except “ Be Careful “

https://youtu.be/zaA8bH7wqmg

Did you ask if they had your name or just the debit card number?

Debit and credit card numbers are designed to be able to be an input to an algorithm with the result being a prederminted number. if it is not one of the numbers, they know immediately that it is fake. Each CC/Debit card company (Amex, Mastercard, Visa, etc) have their own algorithms and expected numbers.
Some crooks have figured out the algorithm and what the resulting number that would pass the "fraud check". So they create fake CC /debit cards with this a number that can pass the "test" and then put a fake name to make it look real. So, there's really no way to prevent this but since they would not have your name, they have not stolen your identity.

That is the words that the credit card people use to describe on line internet charges.... I asked about this yesterday to the card people ...

This was not an online use of the card, it was used at the checkout of a grocery store in Arizona as a contactless card, no swiping or signature, and used to get cash which is a common way for some folks to get cash. Make a purchase, in this case $4.58 plus $50 cash. Since the card has never left my possession, only ever been used at ATMs I don’t see how there was any opportunity to collect the security code on the back of the back which is needed when buying things online.

Did you ask if they had your name or just the debit card number?

Debit and credit card numbers are designed to be able to be an input to an algorithm with the result being a prederminted number. if it is not one of the numbers, they know immediately that it is fake. Each CC/Debit card company (Amex, Mastercard, Visa, etc) have their own algorithms and expected numbers.
Some crooks have figured out the algorithm and what the resulting number that would pass the "fraud check". So they create fake CC /debit cards with this a number that can pass the "test" and then put a fake name to make it look real. So, there's really no way to prevent this but since they would not have your name, they have not stolen your identity.

I didn’t specifically ask about that. I will if it happens again.

Up until last night I had been quite happy about the bank's performance. Immediately alerting me of suspicious transactions (a small purchase in order to get $50 cash at the checkout at a Safeway grocery store) and putting a hold on the card until I called to confirm what was going on.

The charges have been reversed and I was waiting to receive my new card which the agent said would come via DHL in 4 to 5 working days and need signing for since it was an international address. They contacted me again last night to say that someone had tried to use the new card but had failed to verify it before use, so it now has a temporary block on it. After a lot of back and forth they admitted that the card had been sent to our old address, an apartment we lived in before moving to England. I informed the agent that the previous agent had told me the new card was being sent to my current address in England and that I was logged onto my account at that moment and the only 2 address on the account was my address in England, listed as both my correspondence and residential address. He said that there is also another address associated with the card and that address was obviously wrong and he was going to have to put me through to another department where they would update the address on the card and send out a new one. Yet another example of "un-normalised" databases in the IT world. Thank goodness I don't need this card until our visit to the USA end of February, even then it is not essential.

One amusing part of the conversation was when an agent said that he needed to verify my identity and wanted to do so by sending a code to my phone number on record for that purpose. He found it hard to believe that I was in England but the phone number was a US number, so I explained that it was Skype using VOIP, and that I was currently talking to him on Skype through my iPad and the caller-id he was seeing was my US number on record, but if he sent a code to that same number that I could answer it using the Skype app on my iPhone without having to drop his call. He sent the code and when I answered the call via Skype on my phone I put it on speaker so that he could hear the robotic voice speak the 5 or 6 digit verification code. I think he was suitably impressed.

The person I then spoke to update my card address obviously did not have access to my account so I had to verbally give him the new address which is always stressful as my NE English accent is much more pronounced these days. I expect that the making and sending out of the debit cards is outsourced to another company and when I made the change of address online last year the mechanism to update that company failed.

The banks today are afraid to give anyone their very own money .

I can’t imagine the fraud that has gone on in these banks .

I have worked 37 years in a government retail store and I have stories for you .

The one that takes the cake is when a certified cheque bounced . The stamp on the cheque was authentic and so was the cheque itself .

IMO this kind of paranoia about debit cards is usually unfounded. We have debit cards from Schwab and from a megabank. In both cases the issuers have guaranteed to indemnify us 100% against fraud.

Call it paranoia if you like, but the fact remains that a debit card is tied to YOUR MONEY whereas a credit card is tied to the BANK'S MONEY. That's reason enough for me to not use a debit card...ever.

Banks can promise a whole bunch, but in the end...if they say "sorry, it's gone and there is nothing we can do" then what *real* recourse do you have?

US credit freeze for Canadian ?

Should a Canadian with real estate and bank accounts in US
do a US credit freeze?

Never borrowed money stateside.

Should a Canadian with real estate and bank accounts in US
do a US credit freeze?

Never borrowed money stateside.

Having real estate (property taxes) and US bank accounts almost certainly means you have a credit score so I would freeze my credit.

We had the same thing happen on our main card. Got an alert that someone used in it North Dakota. The charge wasn't much, a couple dollars, but I think they were testing to see if they could get away with it. Funny thing was, the bank said it was an in-person charge - they had the number, but not the card.
We cancelled the card, of course, and move on. This happens to us every few years. Though it is a bit of a pain, I guess I don't mind any more. Just glad the bank keeps such a good eye open.

Back
Top Bottom