Join Early Retirement Today

Re: United States Big Mac Index
Old 07-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More interesting is how much of the average salary it takes to buy the Big Mac. Taxes aside, this will change a lot from NYC to Alabama.

This puts it in more of a perspective (in the local currency; from 2003):

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Maybe I should work part time at mcd's and accidentally allow a few tubes of delicious big mac caulk to meander their way into my trunk.

Taco bell at least has the decency to put their sauce within reach of my thieving hands so all I have to do is eat there to acquire their delicious sauce.
Better be careful...macdonalds corporate will sic some black suits on you.

Seriously though...I once had a somewhat remote customer who supplied macdonalds, and when we pulled into the parking lot and hopped out in our suits, we initiated a scramble at the factory. Apparently macdonalds periodically does surprise inspections of their suppliers, and anyone doing anything out of spec is no longer a supplier...ever.

At least taco bell tells you whats in their food...the "taco maker", a chain I visited in my teens, wouldnt acknowledge or identify the type of meat in their products. After some effort, the manager finally admitted that he had no idea, that it just came in a large can that said 'taco maker meat' on it.

:P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
More interesting is how much of the average salary it takes to buy the Big Mac. Taxes aside, this will change a lot from NYC to Alabama.

This puts it in more of a perspective (in the local currency; from 2003):
It is misleading to a certain extent. McD's has more style and luxury appeal in many parts of the world. You probably wouldn't see a bunch of lower-class folks gobbling up McD's big macs in a lot of these developing nations, when they could eat at a restaurant next door for 1/10 the price (if they even eat out at all!).
Old 07-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
I believe that was the original intent of the Big Mac Index.

Thanks for perking my memory. *

Old 07-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

THE BIG MAC INDEX

The Economist's Big Mac index seeks to make exchange-rate theory more digestible. It is arguably the world's most accurate financial indicator to be based on a fast-food item. (Here is a brief explanation and video clip.)

http://www.economist.com/markets/Bigmac/Index.cfm

(Good video explanation).
Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Now it comes in caulking tubes...
1 c. Miracle Whip
1/3 c. creamy style French dressing
1/4 c. sweet pickle relish
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1/4 tsp. pepper
Mix and let stand overnight.
I'm confused. Is this recipe for Big Mac sauce or for caulk? And is it paintable?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Secret Sauce:

1/2 cup mayo
2 tablespoons French dressing
4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon finely mince white onion
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

Combine all incredients in a bowl. Stir well.

Place in cover container and refrigerate overnight.

Enjoy.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Its also a close cousin to the Louis dressing I make for the seafood louis salad I make up about once a week.

8oz mayo, sour cream or a mix of both
1/4 cup ketchup
half a small red onion minced finely
couple of dashes of tabasco
teaspoon of lemon juice
few drops of worcestershire

Bed of lettuce, some quartered tomatoes, hard boiled egg, black olives, and any combo of chilled crab, shrimp or scallops, dressing in a dipping bowl and leave the utensils in the drawer.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds much better than McDonald's...
Old 07-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Waaayyyy better than micky-d's...

Takes 10 minutes to make too.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #31

I live in acommunity of canoossers. MacDonalds has to pay us to eat their stuff.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:11 AM   #32

Well, I must be younger than CFB, because by the time I worked at McD's, we got all of our big mac sauce from the McD factory in caulk-like containers and we put them into specially made guns with triggers (I am serious). I could sauce-up 12 big macs in about 2 seconds, I am not kidding -- at times I could put one in each hand and sauce up twice as fast. When we ran out -- RELOAD!!!!

What you LBYM guys really need is a GHETTO BIG MAC for $1.00. Here is the demo:

Kramer
Old 07-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

A little unwanted nostalgia for former mickey-d workers...

Third worst thing: "Hey you...go do a lot check" (You'll be picking up a lot of lazy peoples garbage)

Second worst thing: "You're on dress, pie and filet today" (You'll be getting treated for burns later on)

First worst thing: "BUS! Lets go to a dozen-six, on the turn". ('bus' is self explanatory. A dozen-six on the turn is a dozen regular burgers and six two patty big macs where after you turn the first dozen you put another dozen down.) Given the time constraints posed by the timers, I've seen guys have to use BOTH sides of the spatula to finish turning the first twelve before the second twelve are ready.

Kramer...this was in the mid 70's in the northeast. I remember spending my mornings defrosting the frozen lettuce, rehydrating the dried onion bits, and mixing the mayo, ketchup and onion with hand diced pickles and then adding sugar to it.

Mmmm, mmmm....dicing pickles with burns on your hands...nothing like it...
Old 07-30-2006, 01:03 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
A little unwanted nostalgia for former mickey-d workers...
Third worst thing: "Hey you...go do a lot check" (You'll be picking up a lot of lazy peoples garbage)
Second worst thing: "You're on dress, pie and filet today" (You'll be getting treated for burns later on)
First worst thing: "BUS!* Lets go to a dozen-six, on the turn".* ('bus' is self explanatory.* A dozen-six on the turn is a dozen regular burgers and six two patty big macs where after you turn the first dozen you put another dozen down.)* Given the time constraints posed by the timers, I've seen guys have to use BOTH sides of the spatula to finish turning the first twelve before the second twelve are ready.
Kramer...this was in the mid 70's in the northeast.* I remember spending my mornings defrosting the frozen lettuce, rehydrating the dried onion bits, and mixing the mayo, ketchup and onion with hand diced pickles and then adding sugar to it.
Mmmm, mmmm....dicing pickles with burns on your hands...nothing like it...
Kids, stay in school!!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I made a special trip into McDonald's yesterday just to find the price of a Big Mac. But it wasn't listed anywhere on the menu. Just meal deals, etc.

I would have asked, but the place was a madhouse.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

They want you to get the meals, french fries and coke cost a nickel to produce. They lose money or break even on most of the sandwiches separately.

Ironically, the coke and fries are the worst nutritional part of the meal. And if you have them hold the mayo or special sauce, the average fast food sandwich isnt that bad. Of course, then it tastes like crap...ok...crappier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Kids, stay in school!!
Hell yeah. Not much redeeming value in that job, although given that they didnt want you to stand still for a minute and the managers were abusive buttheads, it might have been excellent preschooling for bootcamp.

I did hear that mickeyd's was a lot better than working at a donut shop. Earlier hours, lots more burns, and an even more frenetic pace.

Oh yeah, back on topic...$2.29 for one at the mickeys in the walmart thats right next to four other fast food joints. I forgot to ask about the "twofer" big mac deal.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Did my time in a Pizza Slut Hut, where I earned a hefty $1.70 / hr... (1975)

But the Michelob on tap was a nice perk... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

When mickey-d's finally hits bottom, I fully expect to see them roll out McBeer and McWine.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #39

I checked the mcdonald's in the walmart in Raleigh. $2.49.

I can now report back on the BK Triple stacker. $3.99 for an ok sandwich. Nothing unique about it. Wouldn't get it again. Their value meals for the bk stackers are 6-7 bucks! I'd rather go next door to chili's or TGI Fridays and pay about the same thing for a much better burger.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you can already get McBeer and McWine in some European markets, and I seem to recall ordering a few McVodkas while in Poland.....