Join Early Retirement Today

United States Big Mac Index
Old 07-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

United States Big Mac Index

With all this recent talk of cost of living differences between different cities, I thought it might be interesting to compare the cost of a Big Mac (from McDonald's) in your area. I know national restaurants vary their prices by region.

Please state the regular menu price for a big mac and where you are located. Sneak by a drive-thru if you have to in order to find the price! Inquiring minds want to know.

For me, a big mac is $2.49 in Raleigh, NC.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: United States Big Mac Index
Old 07-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not trying to sound snooty but I have no idea.
However The Economist publishes their big Mac Idex by country and here it is Bon Appetite!

http://www.economist.com/markets/Bigmac/Index.cfm
Daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #3

That economist index is what got me to thinking. The economist says the US average is $3.15!? That's 27% more than my local big mac! Which means the "expensive" big macs must be a lot more than the average.

Is there really that much of a difference for a seemingly identical product? Anyone in a "high cost of living" area care to opine?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll have to check our local macdonalds the next time i'm there, but I know that most of the time they'll give you the "two for three dollars" deal if you ask.

Sams clubs and walmarts also index prices based on the local cost of living. I bought some fluorescent light bulbs at a sams in a 'nice' town and returned them at a sams in a not-so-nice town and it wigged them for a few minutes because I paid $8-something for them but in their store they were $5-something. Had to call the other store and figure out how to give me the right rebate.

Oddly, one local walmart is in an absolutely hang-onto-your-wallet part of town and a lot of stuff in that one is more expensive than the one up the street from my house, which is a pretty nice part of town...relatively speaking.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yeah, a Target next to a Walmart will have lower prices than a Target away on its own...
Daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #6

I wonder how well Big Mac prices correlate to gas prices.

National gas price map
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Swell. Now I want a frickin big mac... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ate at McDonald's yesterday -- for like the first time in five years -- and yet I completely forget how much a Big Mac cost.

I think I have a healthy attitude toward money.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'll have to check our local macdonalds the next time i'm there, but I know that most of the time they'll give you the "two for three dollars" deal if you ask.
Really? Wow. I wish I would have known that 1 month into my wife's pregnancy instead of 9 months into it.

You just ask for the 2 for 3 dollar special? Is this the unwritten rule nationwide?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ehh, its flakey. Sometimes they have the mac thing, sometimes its two sausage mcmuffins. Sometimes you get someone who does it, sometimes they look at you like you just grew a second head. Ya have to ask, preferably someone who looks like they didnt just start this morning.

They did finally cap off one of the better deals in fast food, the "cheeseburger dressed like a big mac". For 69c they'd take a regular cheeseburger and add the lettuce and special sauce to it. You could get 3-4 of those for the price of a big mac. Now they brought out some "mac junior" or something like that to try to take advantage of what they thought was a new product space...I imagine by now they've discovered the new product space wasnt for someone who couldnt eat two 2oz meat patties, its for someone who is a) cheap and b) a weasel.

Had to stop at the drive thru on the way back from gabes daily visit to the park...$2.69 at the one with no fast food competition in the neighborhood. I'll check the one on the main road tomorrow. Just for good thorough scientific reasons of course.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #11

For science. Of course.

I'm thinking about trying a BK Stacker (hey, I have buy one get one free coupons!). Probably the triple stacker is as much as I can do. I love meat, cheese, and bacon. But 4 beef patties, 4 pieces of cheese and 8 pieces of bacon on one bun sounds like too much grease for 1 burger. I'm not sure I'm man enough to try more than a triple stacker...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

They should just have a guy come out and stab you in the heart.

Heck of a thing to come out with now that all the negative anti fast food stuff's hitting stride.

Anything with eight pieces of bacon on it is okay by me. Even Kathy Bates.

Jack in the box Big Cheeseburger for 99c-1.29 (depending on which one you go to) is still the best fast food value around.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
They should just have a guy come out and stab you in the heart.
Hi, I'd like 2 quad stackers, extra bacon. A large Coke. And an angioplasty on the side, thanks!

Oh yeah, I have a buy one, get one free coupon. For the burgers, not the angioplasty.

Rumor has it the BK stackers have big mac sauce on em. Mmmmm. Anybody know where I can buy big mac sauce?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Its thousand island dressing, more or less. We used to make it in the mornings between breakfast and lunch when I worked there as a teenager. Now it comes in caulking tubes...

1 c. Miracle Whip
1/3 c. creamy style French dressing
1/4 c. sweet pickle relish
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1/4 tsp. pepper

Mix and let stand overnight.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #15

Maybe I should work part time at mcd's and accidentally allow a few tubes of delicious big mac caulk to meander their way into my trunk.

Taco bell at least has the decency to put their sauce within reach of my thieving hands so all I have to do is eat there to acquire their delicious sauce.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how food tax affects the price?

Where I live the tax on take out food is 12.5%.

So that is something to think about when one place has a low price. What is the added tax?

IHateCNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateCNBC
I wonder how food tax affects the price?

Where I live the tax on take out food is 12.5%.

So that is something to think about when one place has a low price. What is the added tax?
Economic theory says "yes". In practice, I don't know how much people internalize the tax.

Tax here is 8% on restaurant food, 2% on grocery store food, 7% just about everything else. For the purposes of this "poll", taxes might complicate the index.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is something for you guys.

There was another place that reviewed all sorts of enormuos sandwiches, but I can't find it now.

Also, I think some people have a hobby of cooking with recipes designed to immitate McD's special sauce and other fast food.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #19

I got a couple Big Macs a few months ago, but can't remember how much they were. Lately when I'd go into McDonalds I'd just buy a few 99 cent double cheeseburgers and 99 cent McChicken sandwiches. I'm kinda curious though now. I'm also guessing that McDonald's $2.99 value meals have gone the way of the dinosaur?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:47 AM   #20

Ha, funny question. It is almost exactly like a test question I have on my take home midterm for money and banking class.

Except the test question wants me to compare the price of a big mac in yen and reals.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote