Vanguard Website

golfnut

Full time employment: Posting here.
Unable to log in this evening. Anyone else experiencing issues?

Wondering if it's weather related.

I logged into my Vanguard account 15 minutes ago.

It was buggy for me this morning. I couldn’t log in on the app. Got error messages. After 2 attempts I just went through their website with no problem. And then when I was done I tested the app again and was able to get in. I just tried the app again and it was very slow to login but after about 30 seconds it went through.

Just logged in, no problems.

Just tried the website and the app and was able to login within 10 seconds. Whatever it was it looks like it has been fixed now. Or could be a congestion issue with your ISP.

Just tried the website and the app and was able to login within 10 seconds. Whatever it was it looks like it has been fixed now. Or could be a congestion issue with your ISP.

Thanks. Still can't log in. How is a ISP congestion issue resolved?

Thanks. Still can't log in. How is a ISP congestion issue resolved?

If you can connect to other sites then it's not an ISP issue, you might want to try clearing the cache in your browser or better yet, use another browser to connect.

On your smartphone, try turning off the wifi and use the app over cellular data.

If you can connect to other sites then it's not an ISP issue, you might want to try clearing the cache in your browser or better yet, use another browser to connect.

On your smartphone, try turning off the wifi and use the app over cellular data.

Used my smartphone with wifi turned off and I connected with the site. Thanks for the tip.

Tried again via my desktop and no luck.

Is anyone having issues with the site this morning?

I can log in and see the dashboard or whatever it's called, with my accounts and balances, but when I click on a fund/account, the website goes haywire and everything on the page is listed like a table of contents.

It's like an early-internet style webpage where it's hard to make out what you're looking at.

Anyone else?

It sounds a bit like Vanguard might have done some server changes what required DNS changes. DNS is like the Internet's yellow pages (it maps the text "vanguard.com" to the IP address, which is like the phone number). This DNS "yellow pages" is spread out all over the Internet and so takes time for all of the DNS servers to get updated.

If you experience an issue, you might try setting your DNS to 1.1.1.1 and try again.

Just logged in to Vanguard … no problem

+1

No problem whatsoever.

I was not using an app, so I wonder if maybe the app is causing a problem? I logged in using the Microsoft Chromium Edge browser, on a fully updated Windows 10 laptop computer.

It sounds a bit like Vanguard might have done some server changes what required DNS changes. DNS is like the Internet's yellow pages (it maps the text "vanguard.com" to the IP address, which is like the phone number). This DNS "yellow pages" is spread out all over the Internet and so takes time for all of the DNS servers to get updated.

If you experience an issue, you might try setting your DNS to 1.1.1.1 and try again.

I'm afraid I don't know what the part I bolded means. :blush: :LOL: Since I can't even get any buttons on their homepage to "click" now (earlier I got in just fine but the other pages were the odd ones), I'm just going to assume their yellow page reshuffling is still going on. i know others on here will see your advice and go "oh" and click a few keys and be all set. I, however, feel like the kids in the Charlie Brown comics in reading that.

If I can't get in and poke around by the time tech support, uh, dh gets home, I'll have him set the DNS to 1.1.1.1 He is fluent in computers whereas I have about a third grader's comprehension. :cool:

+1

No problem whatsoever.

I was not using an app, so I wonder if maybe the app is causing a problem? I logged in using the Microsoft Chromium Edge browser, on a fully updated Windows 10 laptop computer.

I'm on my laptop using Firefox. Browser & computer (mac) are updated.

Luckily I was just wanting to check on stuff and I don't actually need to get in for anything important. Hopefully, others who can't get in aren't needing to execute any trades or anything.

Best wait for DH, but for lurkers... if you go to "Apple > System Preferences > Network > WiFi > Advanced > DNS" you can add/change the DNS your system uses, but there might be something to do to flush the cache too.

I was experiencing various troubles with Vanguard's site last night. Chrome browser, Win8 laptop, Sparklight (formerly Cable One) DNS server. No problems with other sites, so I think it's more Vanguard-related than DNS-related. Also, usually no problem with Vanguard's site; it's just been in the last day or two.

ETA: Still having trouble now. Can log in but can't see my accounts. Annoyed but not worried.

... so I think it's more Vanguard-related than DNS-related....
Could very well not involve DNS at all, but the thought was that IF Vanguard was doing some server shuffling, oftentimes a DNS entry will be pointing to the old server until that DNS server's record times-out. I've been there, on the corporate end, and know that it's an inexact science because each DNS server kinds of does it's own thing with when the records expire and they go back to the main source to get a fresh record.

Could very well not involve DNS at all, but the thought was that IF Vanguard was doing some server shuffling, oftentimes a DNS entry will be pointing to the old server until that DNS server's record times-out. I've been there, on the corporate end, and know that it's an inexact science because each DNS server kinds of does it's own thing with when the records expire and they go back to the main source to get a fresh record.

I'd like to think that a company as famous as Vanguard would know about this kind of problem and have practices in place to ensure at least five 9's of up time. But then again, I've worked for Fortune 500 tech companies that are still run with lots of Excel spreadsheets, so I dunno.

Miserably slow, can't even get login screen.
Bottom of screen says looking up c1a.vgscontent..... Maybe computergurus have a clue what that means.

Any other wedsite loads speedily.

Will try again tomorrow.

Edit add: Rebooted router, flushed DNS .... still NFG
I am in SW PA. MAybe a regional SNAFU

Last edited:
Been fast and easy all 5 times I logged in today. I did notice this morning I had no transaction history 0 rows since the beginning of my account? Tonight the data are back.

Something has changed. Glad I'm not getting not paid to go to work.

Back
Top Bottom