Vanguard Website

Best wait for DH, but for lurkers... if you go to "Apple > System Preferences > Network > WiFi > Advanced > DNS" you can add/change the DNS your system uses, but there might be something to do to flush the cache too.
Ah, that's not so bad. I peeked and if it comes to it, I can change my DNS info. I'm comfortable rooting around in Firefox's config stuff and other odd computer-y things, but I haven't had to mess with much system stuff beyond the usual cookie/cache clearing and downloading drivers.

In the interest of learning something new, why would changing my DNS do anything if only one website is giving me issues? If I change it to that 1.1.1.1 will it show that going forward or will it go back to what's there now once i start surfing the web? (I'm curious and DH isn't here to ask about this yet)

I was experiencing various troubles with Vanguard's site last night. Chrome browser, Win8 laptop, Sparklight (formerly Cable One) DNS server. No problems with other sites, so I think it's more Vanguard-related than DNS-related. Also, usually no problem with Vanguard's site; it's just been in the last day or two.

ETA: Still having trouble now. Can log in but can't see my accounts. Annoyed but not worried.
Yeah, I was in around lunch time on Saturday and didn't have an issue. Since it's the only site giving me issues, I'm thinking it's them. Like you, I'm annoyed but not worried.

Miserably slow, can't even get login screen.
Bottom of screen says looking up c1a.vgscontent..... Maybe computergurus have a clue what that means.

Any other wedsite loads speedily.

Will try again tomorrow.

Edit add: Rebooted router, flushed DNS .... still NFG
I am in SW PA. MAybe a regional SNAFU

I was also wondering if it was regional, but I'm south of you in a different time zone.

Maybe we'll all wake up tomorrow and all will be well. :)

I think the idea behind trying a different DNS is that perhaps Vanguard has changed some of their IP addresses and those changes have propagated to some, but not all, of the DNS servers.

It's like you have a friend's cell number in your phone. That friend changes their number but neglects to tell you. You call their old number and can't get a hold of them. So you call a mutual friend Frank and ask him what number he has for your friend, and he says he has the same number as you. So you call another friend Jane, and Jane gives you the updated number, and then you can call the original friend.

In this analogy, Vanguard is your friend who kept their name (www.vanguard.com) but changed their number (IP address), and they told some DNS servers (Jane) but not others (Frank and you). For websites who haven't moved lately, they still have the same phone number (IP address), so you can still communicate with them via phone (browser).

I'm not sure I believe the theory, but it's plausible.

Depending on how you do it, if you change your DNS server to a different one, it'll either be a permanent change or a temporary change. You can always write down your current numbers or settings on a piece of paper and change back later if you want, although most commercial DNS servers work pretty well most of the time.

(And yes, I know DNS server is redundant. Get off my lawn.)

DNS Server = Domain Name System Server.

OP problem now sounds like caching problem in gateway. That is ISP problem.

Learn something new every day. Thanks! (I always heard it was Domain Name Server, which is incorrect.)
You've seen at least two of these in your IP settings, may be called Primary and Backup. Or confuse others by referring to NS1 and NS2. That would be Name Server 1, and so on.

Ah, that's not so bad. I peeked and if it comes to it, I can change my DNS info. I'm comfortable rooting around in Firefox's config stuff and other odd computer-y things, but I haven't had to mess with much system stuff beyond the usual cookie/cache clearing and downloading drivers.

In the interest of learning something new, why would changing my DNS do anything if only one website is giving me issues? If I change it to that 1.1.1.1 will it show that going forward or will it go back to what's there now once i start surfing the web? (I'm curious and DH isn't here to ask about this yet)

Yeah, I was in around lunch time on Saturday and didn't have an issue. Since it's the only site giving me issues, I'm thinking it's them. Like you, I'm annoyed but not worried.

I was also wondering if it was regional, but I'm south of you in a different time zone.

Maybe we'll all wake up tomorrow and all will be well. :)

Vanguard is up and functioning fine this mrning.

I think the idea behind trying a different DNS is that perhaps Vanguard has changed some of their IP addresses and those changes have propagated to some, but not all, of the DNS servers.

It's like you have a friend's cell number in your phone. That friend changes their number but neglects to tell you. You call their old number and can't get a hold of them. So you call a mutual friend Frank and ask him what number he has for your friend, and he says he has the same number as you. So you call another friend Jane, and Jane gives you the updated number, and then you can call the original friend.

In this analogy, Vanguard is your friend who kept their name (www.vanguard.com) but changed their number (IP address), and they told some DNS servers (Jane) but not others (Frank and you). For websites who haven't moved lately, they still have the same phone number (IP address), so you can still communicate with them via phone (browser).

I'm not sure I believe the theory, but it's plausible.

Depending on how you do it, if you change your DNS server to a different one, it'll either be a permanent change or a temporary change. You can always write down your current numbers or settings on a piece of paper and change back later if you want, although most commercial DNS servers work pretty well most of the time.

(And yes, I know DNS server is redundant. Get off my lawn.)
Thanks! It's getting clearer now. I still have a question or two about how that all works, so I'll bring them to Dh when I can catch him (he came home late last night and left early this morning). I don't want to clog the thread with more tech stuff.

Learn something new every day. Thanks! (I always heard it was Domain Name Server, which is incorrect.)
Eons ago, I had a few computer classes, so I knew what it stood for at one point, but then promptly forgot. Use it or lose it. I thought it was 'something something Server'. Maybe I'll remember it after this practical discussion. :) And, watch.... I'll probably never need this knowledge again. :LOL:

Vanguard is up and functioning fine this mrning.
Me, too.

An instructor may or may not have said server. Over periods of time the technical exactness of terminology morphs into what the public thinks. I think the words and acronyms are very important when training and troubleshooting.

Site is up and running ok for me now. Yesterday, I called Vanguard and the rep advised me that the site can get wonky and to give it a day or two. His comments were alot more techy than "wonky" .

Like some others, I'm kind of lost when the computer misbehaves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom