VG ETF for international?

BarbWire

Recycles dryer sheets
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I'm buying some ETFs in my Vanguard taxable account. I'll use VTI for total US stock market, but what is the equivalent -- or a good substitute for -- the Total International Stock Market Index fund?

Would that be VEU (all world except US?)

Thanks!

No, not VEU. Instead use Vanguard Total International Stock Index. There is the ETF share class.

BarbWire said:
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I'm buying some ETFs in my Vanguard taxable account. I'll use VTI for total US stock market, but what is the equivalent -- or a good substitute for -- the Total International Stock Market Index fund?

Would that be VEU (all world except US?)

Thanks!

VEU is what I used. Purists will note that it doesn't contain international small caps, but I see that as worrying about a fraction of a fraction. VEU is about a quarter of my equity holdings, or an eighth of the whole portfolio, so that missing small cap international slice would be a very small fraction of the portfolio, too small for me to bother with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use VEU for International Large cap. It is equivalent to VFWIX. Low bid/ask spread (usually 1 cent) and ER.

First time poster here,

Take a look at VXUS, will add some small caps, more of a total market approach if you prefer that.

The ER for VXUS = .20% compared to .22% for VEU.

VXUS if a farily new fund, I think less than a year old but its building, the bid/ask spread can get a little wild at times, 6 cents right now, 1 cent for VEU.

Back
Top Bottom