Wealth advantage workshop

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

Well, I've decided I'm going to take up a local "financial educator" on his offer to come listen to his "Wealth advantage workshop" and get myself a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant.

I will be interested to see how (hard) he tries to pitch his financial advising services even though the workshop summary says there won't be any of that going on.

Any good suggestions for mischievous ways to enliven the evening?

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
Hi all,

Well, I've decided I'm going to take up a local "financial educator" on his offer to come listen to his "Wealth advantage workshop" and get myself a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant.

I will be interested to see how (hard) he tries to pitch his financial advising services even though the workshop summary says there won't be any of that going on.

Any good suggestions for mischievous ways to enliven the evening?

2Cor521

1)Ask him what "guaranteed return" he is getting his clients. :D

rmark,

I dunno. I think the promo said "a top local restaurant"...will see.

FinanceDude,

Funny...will see what he tries to push.

2Cor521

Maybe he'll do the soft sell by making investing seem way too complicated for any mere mortal.

My dad recently "won" a free lunch for 10, paid for by a financial advisor. This kid was 23, and a few of the people at the lunch were late 60s, early 70's. So he's giving his spiel, and he says something about saving for your goals that are 20 or 30 years away. My mom and another woman look at each other and chuckle. The kid pauses, not getting the joke. So mom tells him, "Some of us don't have 30 years."

The kid, self-dubbed 'Doogie Howser of Financial Planning,' managed a nervous chuckle and moved on.

OK, so I went and it really wasn't that bad and it also wasn't that good.

He was a fairly soft sell but he did throw out a bunch of scare tactics -- pensions are going away, taxes are high, estate taxes will take all your money, etc. -- some of which were true and some of which I didn't quite follow his numbers on.

He referenced Dent and Kiyosaki a little in his presentation, but what he read from Kiyosaki's book was quotes from Warren Buffett, so it was a mixed bag.

Overall it was stuff that most people here learn in their first few months of reading on personal finance.

I did walk away with the promise of a $25 dinner gift certificate (per person, I attended solo so I just got $25) to one of the nicest restaurants in my city to be mailed to my home address, 2 "100 Grand" candy bars for getting the right answers to his questions, $4 in cash (traded him a $1 bill for a $5 bill in one of his examples), a pen/highlighter, and a notepad. All in all not a bad way to spend two hours of my time, but I probably won't make a habit of it.

Oh, and there were a few veiled references to annuities, but he never used that word. He talked about "insuring a portion of your nest egg" against a stock market decline like 2000-2002.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
OK, so I went and it really wasn't that bad and it also wasn't that good.

He was a fairly soft sell but he did throw out a bunch of scare tactics -- pensions are going away, taxes are high, estate taxes will take all your money, etc. -- some of which were true and some of which I didn't quite follow his numbers on.

Amateur............ :LOL:

He referenced Dent and Kiyosaki a little in his presentation, but what he read from Kiyosaki's book was quotes from Warren Buffett, so it was a mixed bag.

Good old Harry Dent.......got AIM Funds to make him a multimillionaire right before the market cratered..........not a stupid dude, but Dow 30,000? We got a ways to go........... :LOL:

Overall it was stuff that most people here learn in their first few months of reading on personal finance.

I did walk away with the promise of a $25 dinner gift certificate (per person, I attended solo so I just got $25) to one of the nicest restaurants in my city to be mailed to my home address, 2 "100 Grand" candy bars for getting the right answers to his questions, $4 in cash (traded him a $1 bill for a $5 bill in one of his examples), a pen/highlighter, and a notepad. All in all not a bad way to spend two hours of my time, but I probably won't make a habit of it.

Oh, and there were a few veiled references to annuities, but he never used that word. He talked about "insuring a portion of your nest egg" against a stock market decline like 2000-2002.

2Cor521
[/quote

Glad you survived............... :D But a meal bought by OTHERS always tastes good............ :D

Back
Top Bottom