Kona Village Resort Re-Opens

njhowie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those looking to Blow That Dough, this is for you.

We visited KVR for our honeymoon 30 years ago at the suggestion of a friend in the know. It was really something special. It was expensive, but they had an all-inclusive honeymoon package for $2000 for 4 nights so we did that.

In 2011, the resort was pretty much destroyed due to a tsunami. There were big ownership and financial issues soon after and it looked like it might be closed for good. A few years ago new investors stepped in, rebuilt, and it's recently re-opened. They are currently having re-opening "special" rates. Unfortunately, even though we are in much better financial shape than 30 years ago, they have gone over the top on pricing and we likely won't be going back...well, maybe I will surprise DW for 50 year anniversary in 20 years...or maybe not.

Last night I checked, and for the cheapest accommodations they have, with the re-opening discount, including only breakfast daily, they are charging $1800/night! Rates go all the way up to $10,000 and $15,000/night! Some folks in a KVR FB group DW is in who went for the grand re-opening (they were comped) posted the restaurant menu and the prices had DW and myself laughing ... and crying at the same time.

Anyhow, if you like luxury accommodations, unique experiences, price is not really important, KVR is definitely something to consider.

https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/kona-village

Wow! We went there 41 years ago and it was a package deal as part of a three-island tour. The prices were nowhere near that level then! I remember snorkeling among barracudas and small sand sharks in the little inlet lined with black volcanic rock below the swimming pool. I kept them away because I sounded like a steam engine with my breathing, that is according to my husband. Thank goodness for memories!

Coco Palms Resort on Kauai was another location pretty much destroyed by a hurricane (Hurricane Iniki 1992). It was featured in the Elvis movie Blue Hawaii. We enjoyed staying there in the late 80s. Later trips to the island we favored north coast locations.

Last edited:
Ex-DW and I stayed in a $20-a-night A-frame in a state park on the beach near Kona in the 90s.

Last time we went there as a family was in 2001. It was perfect. We had a lagoon halle for my wife and 2 girls and my bro had one on the ocean for his family and my mom. We have been talking of going back ever since, and looked into the re-opening. The price was high then, but now its a choker. We may swallow hard and bite for next year.

I remember thinking back then the beer was way over priced, and regretted not having a car to go shopping.

Coco Palms Resort on Kauai was another location pretty much destroyed by a hurricane (Hurricane Iniki 1992). It was featured in the Elvis movie Blue Hawaii. We enjoyed staying there in the late 80s. Later trips to the island we favored north coast locations.

It never reopened following Iniki's destruction. Of course, other hotels had the same fate.

Here's an article on the resort if interested.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-legendary-coco-palms-hotel/

It is still tied up in litigation etc. Sadly. We could see how nice it could be when we were there in March.

I'm guessing it will never be rebuilt.

So far the max I've done for lodging was a genuine log cabin in the Colorado mountains, that after the cleaning and other fees was $500 per night.

we leave for Mystique, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Santorini in September for a week. They are 1600/night. But I'm blowing 1,000,000 Marriott points. Just bought Biz class from Newark to Athens for 11,000.

Blow the dough and have FUN !!!!!!!!!!!

I found an update. But given all the opposition I remain dubious.
https://beatofhawaii.com/coco-palms-kauai-rebuild-starts-now-unbelievable/

+1 on dubious

Hawaii has tons of regulation that make it hard to construct.

Our Maui Country Club is close to the ocean and any building that requires breaking ground needs a Special Management Impact statement. Archaeological work must be performed and up to FOURTY-FOUR State Agencies can review, comment, and DELAY a project.

I imagine Coco Palms is subject to similar reviews.

Almost too many people to pay off to get anything done. Lol.

+1 on dubious

Hawaii has tons of regulation that make it hard to construct.

Our Maui Country Club is close to the ocean and any building that requires breaking ground needs a Special Management Impact statement. Archaeological work must be performed and up to FOURTY-FOUR State Agencies can review, comment, and DELAY a project.

I imagine Coco Palms is subject to similar reviews.

Almost too many people to pay off to get anything done. Lol.

The article says it is all systems go but if you go through the history, this was the same thing they said many times previously. And apparently they have decided the site has "cultural significance" so that's another hurdle.

Tough nut to crack (sorry). ;)

Back
Top Bottom