Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So sorry ,hope you find a new (better ) job !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
We knew layoffs were going to happen Friday, but I didn't expect to be one of them. My mgr had even mentioned about getting a bigger raise this yr. I was also in the middle of several projects, but I guess they weren't mission critical. 7 years...poof.
That sucks, man. Good move taking some time off before jumping right back in; I think it's good to get some perspective.

When I was a teenager, I remember my dad getting laid off after 20+ years, and I think it kind of impressed upon me the importance of not getting too attached to one job. So theoretically I'm prepared for it, but I know it would be quite another thing were it to actually happen. On the bright side, my dad found something much better than the job he got laid off from, and in hindsight he saw it as a blessing.

What's interesting now is that I'm in a similar situation to yours--layoffs are coming up, my manager has told us that we *probably* won't be affected, and I'm in the middle of a project which may or may not be mission critical (in their infinite wisdom, upper management has decided that they're going to do the roadmap *after* the layoff). Guess we'll see by the end of the month.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi everyone - just wanted to give an update on my job search.

The first 3 weeks were very hard. Not being FI yet, and out of work is an awful feeling. I was also beginning to think ER was not for me because I just didn't feel right not being at work.

After getting a few solid leads on jobs I settled down a little bit and started to enjoy my time off. I went golfing, bowling, to the pool, and spent a lot time with my daughter. So this gives me even more incentive to retire early - I know it's the right move.

Yesterday I was offered a position. It was the 1st one I applied for way back on June 2nd and the one I really wanted. It's a little less base pay but the benefits make up for the difference, including a pension. And best of all it's less then 1 mile from my house. It's going to be weird going to work at a new place, but I look forward to it.

Well, thanks for listening.
JD
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #24
Administrator

Congratulations on your successful job search!! You'll save a lot by only having to drive a mile to work, too. You might even decide to walk.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I was wondering how your job search was going! Congratulations, I'm sure it's a load off. Just curious as to whether or not you will try walking to work being that it's so close?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

[hijack] And now you don't need to worry about gas prices! [/hijack]
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #27

Congrats! The 1 mile to work is turning out to be a huge benefit.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
I was wondering how your job search was going! Congratulations, I'm sure it's a load off. Just curious as to whether or not you will try walking to work being that it's so close?
Thanks. I didn't want to jinx myself and starting talking about this job and then not get it. I interviewed twice with them with 4 different people.

I could walk my DD to school and then to work - it's right next to the school. I can go and have lunch with her anytime. She is looking forward to that.

Most of the time I think I would drive so I could come home quickly for lunches (another big savings).
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't want to jinx myself and starting talking about this job and then not get it. I interviewed twice with them with 4 different people.

I could walk my DD to school and then to work - it's right next to the school. I can go and have lunch with her anytime. She is looking forward to that.

Most of the time I think I would drive so I could come home quickly for lunches (another big savings).
Congratulations--lucky lucky you to have less commuting, more time with family. Maybe your former company did you a favor by putting you on the layoff list?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

John...

Wow, that was quick.

There are some things money can't buy--and living a mile from work is one of them.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #31

Congrats on your new job!

DH just got a package from his company last week due to downsizing so he's also in the process of getting used to not working. His package covers 5 months of income so he wants to take the summer off and be a bum and also spend more time with our daughter. I only work 3 days a week so I think it'll actually be pretty fun to spend time together during the week when the rest of the world is working .

Luckily, we're debt free so I figure we can live off of our savings for at least 3 years before DH absolutely has to find something.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a great find, and quick, too. Congrats.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was also beginning to think ER was not for me because I just didn't feel right not being at work.
I am happy for you getting back to work. About your feeling, I still often have a pang of guilt, so keep my part-time work. If I cut down my discretionary expenses, I could ER. But perhaps I still cannot let go. And this after 5 years of having one foot already out the door. It's something a guy/gal got to decide for him/herself.

PS - Perhaps that's why I was happy to find this forum: to get moral support.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #34

Congratulations - sounds like this job will be better than your old one! Enjoy that "commute" ;-)
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #35

Congratulations! I had a job that was that close to home once, and it's a huge perk! Enjoy...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Conga-rats on your new job!
How long is your lunch break?
If 2 miles walk adds too much time to it maybe your could consider a bicycle?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #37

Congrats on the new job!

At one point in our lives DW got a job about a mile from home and I suggested that she could ride a bicycle to work. Her response was a strong negative reaction along the lines of "I am NOT riding a bicycle to work!"

When she called her father to tell him about the job the first thing he was was... you know... "Gee, you could ride a bike to work".

Her, by now very frustrated: "Why does everyone want to stick me on a bicycle?"

I knew by that point that laughing would not be a good thing to do but it was difficult not to.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Well done John. It's pleasing to hear when someone has happy news.

What field are you in?
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone!

I could ride my bike if I could secure it. I think they plan on moving to a new building next year, but it's still only 3 miles away.

My last job was only 7 miles away.

barbarus, I'm in the IT field.

JD