What are your favorite money proverbs?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What are your favorite money-related proverbs, or words of wisdom. Things like "A penny saved is a penny earned" or "A fool and his money are soon parted."

"The early bird gets the worm" (Ben Franklin)?

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" (Shakespeare)

"Experience breeds wisdom" (my own creation)

Concerning oversaving and balance:

Just think if we had all the money that we've spent on beer over the years.
Yeah, think how much beer we could buy!

Some people misquote and say, "Money is the root of all evil." That's not what it says. The correct version of the quotation is "The love of money is the root of all evil."

But it's really about how we use it. I like this one:

"Money is the root of all good."

"The early bird gets the worm"

"But the second mouse gets the cheese." :)

Not necessarily money-related, but I've always liked "If you don't change direction, you'll get where you're going." I interpret it to encourage me to start saving. If I keep putting it off, I'll eventually "get where I'm going" (which is to say, old with no money).

Gotta credit Mom for this one....and it is something that I "hear" [-]in my head[/-] whenever I'm trying to decide if what I am about to buy is a "need" or a "want" :cool:

"A fool and his money are soon parted!" :bat:

Murphy's Golden Rule: "Those with all the gold make all the rules."

From The Sage of Valley Forge: "the greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

Which I interpret as "Quit yer bitchin' and just pick something already!!" :bat:

- Alec

“Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you’ve got the less poop you have to eat.” :cool:

I like the old song that says:

"Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
Except for giving oneself a sunroof, you never know your departure time!

The first one is one of my old time favorites, and the second one is usually Frank's response to it:

1. "Cash is King!"
2. "No, Cash is the Emperor of the Effing Universe!"

"Pay yourself first"

The close cousin of LBYM. Everything else is just details.

You don't own things; things own you.

two ways to be rich: earn more, desire less

Make hay while the sun shines.

I find this especially relevant as I try to contain my desire to ER while I'm still accumulating FI. Really, the situation sometimes seems so bad and I want to be retired so much, yet in fact things are moving along rather favorably according to plan and I just need to stick it out for the last remaining years and I'll be in such good shape.

Back
Top Bottom