What could Megacorp offer to stop you from ER?

What could Megacorp offer to stop you from ER?

Well, I can tell you what I did get. I didn't work for a Megacorp though. I went in to resign about 3 years ago and was asked if I would be willing to work 1 day a week in more of a consultative role, doing maybe another hour or two a week from home. They were willing to pay me what I asked for which was a very well paid amount (about $1000 or so a week).

The time I put into it would be up to me. Basically, it allowed me do the parts of my job that I liked without having to have the stress of the rest of my job. At the time, the money was attractive so I agreed to do it.

Three years later, I think I am getting to the end of the road on this work. On the positive side, I've ended up working longer and making more money than I originally anticipated. On the negative side, one day a week has become two and the stress aspects have risen and more and more I get asked to do tasks that I don't enjoy as much. I also now have a much longer commute since I moved in the meantime.

What could get me to stay?

Maybe, just maybe:

Let me work from home all the time. Even now, 99% of what I do can be done from home. I only go to the office because the person I work with the most likes me there and prefers to talk to me face to face rather than my phone. In reality, it could almost all be done with me at home.

One day a week. I didn't mind the two days for awhile (or else I wouldn't have agreed to it). But, I am at a point where I would prefer to pull back and go back to the original schedule. Also, I would want some changes in the type of work I was asked to do (that is, get back to the things I like and away from the things I don't like as much).

Having said that -- I'm not sure that those things would be enough to convince me to stay even on that very reduced basis.

What would not work was my old telecommute deal because at that point even one day a week was too often a trip to the office -

Same here. However, it did keep me working for two years longer than I had planned but even that got old.

1. Two or three day work week, I'd even take the pay cut but I want my health insurance benefit to be unaffected.

2. Deal with the incompetents. I know it's not easy, especially if you're the person that hired them and are 'married' to your decision.

Sounds like a good approach. I may give some thoughts to this.

I retired 5 1/2 years ago but going back to early summer of 2007 if they said we'll continue to pay you, you can stay home and don't bother doing any work I'd have stayed. :rolleyes: That probably wasn't going to be an option though so I just gave my notice. :dance:

So what they offered was a lot of congratulations. I was actually relieved they did not offer anything that would tempt me into staying one more month or one more year. :greetings10: So I ER'd! Yippee. See ya!

haha, thanks, DW would like me to break the up at 5:00 problem. Well, at least I woke up happy, and not anxious :)

Let's see....what could my employer offer to get me to stay past my planned retirement date?

A contract that would cover the following:
1. health care until I reach Medicare age.
2. 3 day work week Tuesday thru Thursday, while retaining all vacation (4 weeks) and paid holidays (10 paid days per year)
3. Dec thru March leave of absense so I could snowbird to warmer area.
4. compensation for above at 60% of current conpensation.
5. above contract is open for negotiation after 2 years.

I would definitely consider such an offer but I know that it would never be offered

When I ERd from my original mega corp almost 10 years ago, I was one of about 21000 who took a voluntary retirement package. Even if they wanted to retain me, there would be absolutely nothing they could offer that would have made me stay.

I did go to work for another mega-corp, and although I enjoyed the job there, my commute became horrendous with all the construction projects going on in north Texas. I offered to stay longer if they allowed me to work from home and my boss and his boss were agreeable, however, the President did not want to set a precedent for making that type of accomodation. So I am now happily and permanently retired.

I am currently negotiating doing my Texas job from my beach condo in Florida.

This is mine. Let me do my east coast almost-all-computer-based job from the mountain west each summer. (I already telecommute three days a week.)

After 15 years we get 5 weeks vacation and 7 holidays per year.

Not too shabby. DH has 5 weeks vacation plus every second Friday off in the summer from mid-May to the end of August (effectively 8 "extra" days of vacation) and 12 stat holidays. He works in the energy industry in Calgary and this is pretty standard up here because the job market is very competitive.

He enjoys the work and the people that he works with but he could be persuaded to RE for the right package since he has a lot of hobbies and there aren't enough hours in the day!

When I decide the time has come I do not expect or care for any offers of continued employment. Until that day I hope to do my job under my terms.

Anyone saw "The devil wears Prada" movie? I work for someone like the movie's "boss" character. The guy is narcissistic egomaniac without any social skill set. Other than that, he's ok and my job is a dream job. So, I will demand that my boss replace himself and I will consider staying on :D.

Well, in my case what "worked" so to speak was an offer to let me work part-time with a very limited type of work I wanted to do. I would come into the office once or twice a week.

After about 3 years, even that began to be too much, so I tried to quit again.

This time what kept from entirely quitting was an offer for me to work entirely from home. Since that started almost 6 months ago I have not set foot in the office once and I've attended a couple of out of office meetings.

I'm sure there will come a time when even that is more than I want to do, but for now it is still fine.

Phased retirement. 1/2 my pension and half time employment at my current pay rate. But the federal government tends to be very slow at implementing new programs.

We're planning on retiring at the end of next year, assuming a major market pullback that changes the math too much doesn't happen.

Much as I'd like to be in the gang saying nothing could change it, I'm quite sure there is a number less than my annual salary they could put on a retention bonus to keep me around another year. I'm 45 years old, might be different if I was 55 or 60.

I had a couple of offers to go back to my old job. One was a for a higher salary but I have had to have been the scapegoat / manager in charge of an overseas project from hell, so that didn't work out.

The other offer was to work part time for a prorated salary, but with no benefits or bonus, so really that was like being offered to come back half time but quarter pay. So I didn't do that either.

One of the consulting companies I used to be the client for called out of the blue one day and offered me a commission sales job I could do working out of the house. That one I really thought about, but still turned it down. I just wanted something low stress I could do part time or on a contract basis, and sales presentations to Fortune 500 type places seemed like it would just be going back to high stress kind of work.

Last edited:
We all want what we don't have. I'm in "pre-retirement" at a MegaCorp (working 3 days a week for about 80% of my full time compensation, 5 weeks vacation/year). But those 3 days involve a deadly commute.

After a 3 month layoff scare earlier this year it looks like I'm in for another 1.5 years until 55. So more money (within reason) wouldn't get me to stay past that, but the option to telecommute might.... but probably not.

I'm not expecting megacorp will offer me anything at all. So I am not dreaming of some other-world.

The harsh reality is that a 10-week furlough in early 2013 was only phase 1. By April 2014 we will know how much work will be covered by a contract, and safe money would bet on another serious reduction in resources (read workers).

So, in some weird working of gov't and megacorp, I might be at the beginning of ER or partial ER, whether it fits my timetable or not. So I plan for that option.

Minicorp offered me a deal where they would buy my company stock if I would work 2 days a week for a year getting a transition in place. I took the deal and have 4 months left.

Back
Top Bottom