What is the best Alternative to Quicken after 2020 (Non Subscription)

As much of a Quicken user as I am, it doesn’t do it all for me. I’ve settled into a model of using three custom Google Sheets workbooks in addition to Quicken for Windows (only on desktop).

The three workbooks are for taxable, tax-favored accounts of my own and another (not mine) that I track and manage.

So for me there isn’t a single source solution that takes care of everything.

So if your primary concern is that you don't want your data stored online...

I always had issues with concept/concern.

Say you don't save personal data in cloud/online, but all banks expose everybody's data via the Internet. How does it help?

I always had issues with concept/concern.

Say you don't save personal data in cloud/online, but all banks expose everybody's data via the Internet. How does it help?
Yup, most everyone's data has been compromised at least once. At least those who have email, use a credit card or have a credit score. [emoji3]

I'm the last user of Tobias MYM. Only runs in the compatibility box in Win7. If it ain't broke...

I think I'll keep using Quicken 2005. It works fine for me. :)

Look like there really is no alternative that is seamless. I think with a QFX to QIF converter, (I found a free one that seems to work like a charm) I probably will have to continue using my 2017 version till something better comes along.

I manually balance things at the end of the month (or when I download the PDFs of the credit card statements). It only takes a couple of minutes per account and I feel "closer" to the data so as to notice any abnormalities. I've never used the automatic download of account data feature in Quicken even when my Quicken versions had that capability. I didn't like the idea of Intuit having the information necessary to access my accounts--I've always been a little paranoid in that way.

Lumpy

I download the pdf and look to make sure all the charges are min and that's it. I wasted a lot of time with Quicken. Others may get value from having access to all the transactions but time is limited and I haven't missed it. I also used to record each gasoline purchase in a little book with date, gallons, cost/gallon. Done with that too.

I download the pdf and look to make sure all the charges are min and that's it. I wasted a lot of time with Quicken. Others may get value from having access to all the transactions but time is limited and I haven't missed it. I also used to record each gasoline purchase in a little book with date, gallons, cost/gallon. Done with that too.

Damn, lead me Yoda! I record the date, gallons, cost/gallon and miles for every fillup (auto and motorcycles). Maybe I should consider giving that up since I've never referred back to those records for anything.

Still learning,
Lumpy

You never know when something might come in handy. I record all that car-related stuff, including gas, on a spreadsheet.

I carry a pen in the car to write mileage on the receipt and enter into the spreadsheet later at the same time I record the transaction in Quicken (I don’t have Quicken download any transactions, its value to me are other features).

Over time, the trends are interesting, especially with a smoothing function (like a moving average) applied.

Yup, my Quicken entries look like this in the memo field:
CX5, 298m, 11.855g, 25.15mpg, 18634m, reg, zero, fill.
Very handy when trying to reconstruct what the mileage was when we had tires rotated or an oil change done or what the miles were when we left Oregon or how many miles we did on a trip.

Yup, my Quicken entries look like this in the memo field:
CX5, 298m, 11.855g, 25.15mpg, 18634m, reg, zero, fill.
Very handy when trying to reconstruct what the mileage was when we had tires rotated or an oil change done or what the miles were when we left Oregon or how many miles we did on a trip.

Right, something like that. My Quicken entries are only the transactions under the top category “auto”, subcategorized “fuel”, “maintenance”, “repairs” and so on. The companion spreadsheet contains the detailed information and makes it easy to answer specific questions like you mention.

I never did that with prior cars but an old friend who’s an auto nut from Indy showed me what he does and I got in the habit.

I didn’t expect to keep my car as long as I have (coming up on 16 years), so the record has enough data now to get some insight. Earlier, I thought it might come in handy to show a prospective buyer but I’m more likely to drive it into the ground. I just like the car and it’s in good shape.

I only write the mileage on the receipts any more because they already have date, cost, ppg, gallons printed on them.

It turns out the city/highway MPG estimate from the sticker was actually true!

Last edited:
"an inactive subscription only disables online features not local ones"

Good to know. I use 2001 and manually enter banking data. I use Quicken to reconcile my checking account, so hopefully that will stay. I would update but I think it's difficult with that old of a version and I want to keep all my data in that one app.

There are some 2007 versions of excel on ebay for almost nothing. Google sheets is good too. I use both, depending on need, but if was forced to pick one....Google sheets.

I was just forced to upgrade. I swallowed the fact that it’s a subscription. I have near every dollar I spent in there sine 1993!

It’s been an immeasurable asset in evaluating my FIRE decision. I’m a fan boy, researched alternatives and found nothing close.

I may look at MoneyDance, but given the utility that I get out of Quicken $2.92/month for a 24 month subscription isn't a horrible price to pay.

+1

SW is never really done. Even with no functionality enhancements, there's OS updates, updates for security threats, and updates for all the external interfaces (like downloading transactions). I spent time in my career in SW development, and I don't think that I would support an application years later with no opportunity for additional revenue. After all, I'd want to eventually FIRE..

I get so much utility out of Quicken that I'll gladly pay a $30 annual tax to keep it updated and supported. Too many great apps wither and die, and I'd like to keep Quicken around.

I quit using Quicken several years ago. When quicken required that you have an internet connection when started, I dropped it. I have always used a spreadsheet to keep track of my accounts and projections in the future. So my spreadsheets act as historical data, present values and predictions. The only function I am missing with the spreadsheet is expenses by category for each month. For that I use AceMoney. I manually enter what I spend including CC statements and each month do a report of monthly expenses by category to be put in the spreadsheet. AceMoney comes with a utility to convert Quicken data to AceMoney data. So I have history of all expenses that I entered in Quicken when I used it and what I have added since. AceMoney also has many of the features of Quicken such as notification of what bills I should be receiving and recording the actual transaction is very easy. I go completely off line when I work financial transactions and save only to a place not on the computer. I do not do any type of banking on line and rarely buy anything on line. US Mail service with checks with most of the purchases by CC to minimize checks each month and drive to the post office or a UPS store to mail everything. Call me paranoid but I've seen too much vulnerability out there to trust anything else. Use Informed delivery from the USPS to let me know what should be in the mail and compare with what I should be getting in AceMoney. AceMoney is stand alone unless you use the features to connect to institutions and there are no recurring fees. Just software like it used to be.

Damn, lead me Yoda! I record the date, gallons, cost/gallon and miles for every fillup (auto and motorcycles). Maybe I should consider giving that up since I've never referred back to those records for anything.

After doing it for 20 years and never seeing a need to refer back I quit. I use google documents to record when oil changes and other maintenance/repairs were done. I scan in receipts for high cost items for future reference. In 5 years I might want to know what my last desktop computer cost but I am not really likely to care what I spent at Qdoba. For me the "entertainment" value of looking at Quicken and car records was not worth the effort expended.

I was just forced to upgrade. I swallowed the fact that it’s a subscription. I have near every dollar I spent in there sine 1993!

It’s been an immeasurable asset in evaluating my FIRE decision. I’m a fan boy, researched alternatives and found nothing close.

I also have decades of expense data in Quicken. Currently on Quicken 2017, I now know (thanks to this group!) that subscription is the only choice after it expires in 2020...

In researching the subscription version, I see that you can keep your data off-line. Like others, I'm not putting my personal data in a cloud.

However, it wasn't clear if all of the on-line transaction download/upload functionality will still exist from financial institutions? As a subscription user, can you verify, DogGone?

Any other major deviations in the usability of note?

Thanks once again for an informative thread!

I also have decades of expense data in Quicken. Currently on Quicken 2017, I now know (thanks to this group!) that subscription is the only choice after it expires in 2020...

In researching the subscription version, I see that you can keep your data off-line. Like others, I'm not putting my personal data in a cloud.

However, it wasn't clear if all of the on-line transaction download/upload functionality will still exist from financial institutions? As a subscription user, can you verify, DogGone?

Any other major deviations in the usability of note?

Thanks once again for an informative thread!

It looks the exact same pretty much... I had 2016 and syncing would stop without the sub...

I also bit the bullet and went full mobile so I had ready access to info while consulting financial advisor and accountant recently. It has some functionality, but a fraction of the desktop.

It looks the exact same pretty much... I had 2016 and syncing would stop without the sub...

I also bit the bullet and went full mobile so I had ready access to info while consulting financial advisor and accountant recently. It has some functionality, but a fraction of the desktop.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with Quicken if I can use it as it is now and keep my data off-line.

I assume to go full mobile your data has to be uploaded in the Cloud?

You can cancel Quicken’s auto-renewal (aka “subscription”) easily. I’ve done that with my license for Premier 2018, now 2019 with updates.

In effect, it’s the same as when Intuit owned the company although back then customers had to take the initiative to keep their license active. This way, they’re automatically re-activated at a set price (probably not the best, which is why I disabled auto-renewal).

I assume to go full mobile your data has to be uploaded in the Cloud?

You can select which accounts go or not...

So, do so for checking and Visa so you have a live look on spending/budget and alerts... and you can choose not to for all investment accounts (though fun to see day $ changes when market is up)

Still learning,
Lumpy

Same. Just threw out little gas notebooks from years past. Useful for a while until I got a handle on costs. Done. Just not needed anymore.

I will say... a nice benefit to the mobile for us OCD people is that you can change categories on uncategorized expenses from your phone when in on the train or in other downtime

My concern is OS compatibility. I'm using 07 for Macintosh. The next OS upgrade will likely break many of my old programs, including quicken.

I spent months inputting all my previous paper files in the early 90's and have kept up ever since. I don't want to lose an entire lifetime of accounts, transactions, and financial history. Aside from a few very short term bank accounts and cash in college, I have practically everything in this database

Simplifications in the tax code have eliminated my deductions, so my need to save annual spending reports is gone. Starting to feel like the data owns me.

Risks of going completely digital, obsolete software and tech change.

Back
Top Bottom