Anyone using MoneyDance as a Quicken Substitute

I imagine most programs would have the reports similar to Quicken's. I wonder about the spreadsheet view that shows the real-time value of each position. Well, not real-time but with the price delayed by 15 minutes.

I do not daytrade, but like to watch the stocks move up/down. Some people like to watch ball games, I like to see stocks going up/down, even if that does not really change anything. I used to watch Level II screens meant for daytraders and that is real-time. That's too much.

I am unsure what you are asking. If you are wanting Moneydance to display the current quotes of your stocks dynamically, it cannot do that. One can, however, manually update the prices by installing the "Quotes Loader" extension. I have forgotten how I did it but I have MD update only the first-time opening each day.

The User Manual hasn't been updated since 2015 but is still quite useful. It and references to it can be found here: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/search?utf8=✓&q=manual&t=d&recommend=1

The Infinite Kind Forum personnel are quite helpful. https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/home
https://infinitekind.com/

OK, thanks. It appears that one has to create an account first then DL transactions via the on line menu, however it does not say that in the docs. Then it brings as much info as is stored on the server. It would be nice if it allowed one to create an account with the DL data from the site (Like Quicken does). I can see this will be quite a chore to set everything up the way I want it, but it may be worth it in the long run.

I started fresh with Moneydance at the start of 2012, and have been very happy with it since. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it does everything I need.

I archived all my old records from Quicken, MS Money, etc. into spreadsheets for easy searching (seldom needed).

Can you elaborate on this (bolded)? Did you just export the register to a spread sheet? Did you select all the fields or do a custom report?

I'm thinking of starting this year with a new quicken file. Our chart of accounts is so cobbled together after 20+ years that we just want to take a fresh start with a simple structure. I was just going to start a new Quicken file and use the old for archive information, but I like the idea of getting it also separated from Quicken.

I am unsure what you are asking. If you are wanting Moneydance to display the current quotes of your stocks dynamically, it cannot do that...

Yes.

I no longer watch CNBC. But when I see a Web headline about something that affects the market, a tweet from you-know-who or an announcement by the Fed chairman after a meeting, I want to see how my stocks move up/down. And I think it is interesting to see how stocks in one sector move up while another sector goes down. I imagine investors moving here and there, zig-zagging, trying to dodge imaginary bullets... And I go on the Web to find explanation for the behavior.

A friend of mine made a spreadsheet, which downloaded free stock quotes off the Web from Yahoo. That's too much work for me. I would rather pay Quicken. It's cheap enough as a form of recreation for me.

I started using MoneyDance in January 2018. I use it primarily as a computer checkbook, and don't use any of the budgeting or online features (downloading account data and whatnot). Before MoneyDance I was using old school paper check registers. For my simple needs it does the job.

I use "Bank Accounts" for my checking, savings, and CD accounts. I enter transactions manually as they occur. Each month I add a dummy entry for "===== Account Balanced =====" so I know when I balance the account statement.

I also use "Assets" to record our Roths, Traditional IRA, and taxable brokerage account. When I receive my statements each month I add a new transaction with the new statement balance. The assets records don't really serve any purpose other than allowing me to see how each account has changed over time. I could do that just as easy with a text or Word document, but it's nice to have all our finance info in one place.

Overall MoneyDance works for my needs, but it has a lot of quirks.

For one, there's no way to disable the second row of account headers when I'm in my preferred single-line mode. So I always have "Tax Date, Memo, Tags, Rate, etc." at the top of the screen, even though I don't use those fields. Annoying, but I've learned to ignore them.

The printouts and reports leave a lot to be desired. While there are many options available, none of them ever seem to achieve what I want. For example, when exporting a transaction report there's no way to hide the account name. So it repeats down the page for every transaction. There's also no easy way to adjust column sizes so text doesn't get cut off.

Thankfully, I rarely need to print or export a report. About the only time I do is when I close an account (a CD maturing for instance). I'll print/export then edit it as a simple Word document, then delete the account from MoneyDance. Kind of a hassle, but I've only needed to do that twice to get the layout I wanted (a final record of the closed account).

I haven't found a way to add up selected transactions, other than highlighting them and adding them up myself with a calculator.

I also had to go back to version 2019.1 as the new 2019.3 had some weird problems with font displays.

I've never used Quicken, so I can't comment on that.

You may also want to look at "Alzex Personal Finance" https://www.alzex.com/. I use it to review our income and spending each year. I download transaction data from my various bank web sites saving them as CSV files. Then I import the CSV files into Alzex. I can categorize each transaction and easily see where we are spending money. Otherwise I don't use any of it's budgeting or account management features.

A friend of mine made a spreadsheet, which downloaded free stock quotes off the Web from Yahoo. That's too much work for me. I would rather pay Quicken. It's cheap enough as a form of recreation for me.

This spreadsheet and Quicken can update in real time (recognizing the 15 minute delay) without any user action? That IS impressive. That is way beyond what Moneydance can do.

The printouts and reports leave a lot to be desired. While there are many options available, none of them ever seem to achieve what I want. For example, when exporting a transaction report there's no way to hide the account name. So it repeats down the page for every transaction. There's also no easy way to adjust column sizes so text doesn't get cut off.

Most of what you say went over my head... even way over. I do, however, have a question about your issue with the built-in "Transaction Report." What would you have different in this attached report?

Transaction Report.JPG

This spreadsheet and Quicken can update in real time (recognizing the 15 minute delay) without any user action? That IS impressive. That is way beyond what Moneydance can do.

I do have to hit "Update" when I want to see the latest numbers. Else, it updates at some unknown slower rate. They require that so that their server will not get swamped.

MS Money did this real-time update too, and I got into the habit of watching each position and my portfolio went up/down with each event during the day. When they say "the market is efficient", that is what they talk about. I started using MS Money as a free Web-based portfolio tracker, and only moved to the purchased program when they shut down the free portfolio manager.

Now, I can go into my brokerage account to see true real-time update without the 15-min stock quote delay. However, I have multiple accounts, and do not see the whole "big picture". With everything consolidated inside Quicken, I can see my stock AA in real-time, where the stock options are with respect to their strike prices, etc...

Again, I am an active investor, but not a day trader. Most of the time, I watch but do not trade. I just do not want to miss a good opportunity, although in hindsight I miss plenty. This game is hard, but also fun to me.

Last edited:
I do have to hit "Update" when I want to see the latest numbers. Else, it updates at some unknown slower rate.

The closest Moneydance can come to that is with the "Quote Loader" extension. It is a four step operation, however: 1. Open the Extension, 2. Click on "Get Prices," 3. Click on "Save Selected Values, 4. Close "Quote Loader."

It doesn't take much effort but it is more than a single "Refresh" click.

quote loader.JPG

Now, I can go into my brokerage account to see true real-time update without the 15-min stock quote delay. However, I have multiple accounts, and do not see the whole "big picture". With everything consolidated inside Quicken, I can see my stock AA in real-time, where the stock options are with respect to their strike prices, etc...

Again, I am an active investor, but not a day trader. Most of the time, I watch but do not trade. I just do not want to miss a good opportunity, although in hindsight I miss plenty. This game is hard, but also fun to me.

During preparation for my month/year/decade closing, I thought of this post. You may want to consider this program:

https://www.investmentaccountmanager.com/

INVESTMENT ACCOUNT MANAGER - Individual

Manage Single or Multiple Portfolios
Accurately Track Security Cost Basis
Comprehensive Reporting and Graphing Tools
Asset Allocation and Rebalancing
Rebalance Portfolio Targets Showing Absolute and Relative Divergence
Benchmark Comparisons: Monthly, Quarterly, Annually
Utilize Fundamental Ratio Analysis Tools
Ability to Download Investment Activity from Popular Financial Institutions

or if you are really serious, the Pro version.

INVESTMENT ACCOUNT MANAGER PRO

All Individual Features, Plus...
QuoteMedia Fundamental Data Feed
Custom Model Portfolios
Target Allocations on Individual Asset Level
Auto-Create Client Portfolios to Model Allocations
Blended Benchmark Portfolios by Percentages
Import Client Custodial Files
Additional Reporting: Client Billing, Contributions/Withdrawals, Asset Level Allocations, more...

I sent an email to the MD folks today as 3 of my Financial Institutions and a couple of Credit cards, are not in their automatic DL list. Let us see if they can support them. PenFED was one. It seems hard to believe they do not support them.

Most of what you say went over my head... even way over. I do, however, have a question about your issue with the built-in "Transaction Report." What would you have different in this attached report?
View attachment 33416

Your report looks better than anything I've been able to print from MoneyDance. :)

In your example, see how the account name is repeated in the first column all the way down the page? Since I'm only printing transactions from a single account that field isn't needed. I'd rather see it printed once at the top of the page to identify which account it belongs to. Also, it's not a big deal with a short account name, but when you have a long account name like "Widgets Business Checking (Fabulous Federal Bank 1234)" it's either going to take up too much space on the page, or it's going to get cut off (I usually opt for the latter since I don't need to know it anyway).

Your example shows nicely spaced columns, but when I try to print it columns for "Description" aren't wide enough and cut text off, while short columns like dollar amounts take up more space than they need. I can adjust column widths somewhat in MoneyDance, but the way it works is kind of awkward. I'd rather see an automatic column width adjustment, similar to Windows "size all columns to fit".

Your report looks better than anything I've been able to print from MoneyDance. :)

In your example, see how the account name is repeated in the first column all the way down the page? Since I'm only printing transactions from a single account that field isn't needed. I'd rather see it printed once at the top of the page to identify which account it belongs to. Also, it's not a big deal with a short account name, but when you have a long account name like "Widgets Business Checking (Fabulous Federal Bank 1234)" it's either going to take up too much space on the page, or it's going to get cut off (I usually opt for the latter since I don't need to know it anyway).

Your example shows nicely spaced columns, but when I try to print it columns for "Description" aren't wide enough and cut text off, while short columns like dollar amounts take up more space than they need. I can adjust column widths somewhat in MoneyDance, but the way it works is kind of awkward. I'd rather see an automatic column width adjustment, similar to Windows "size all columns to fit".

Yes, I agree, the Print function in MD leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore sometimes (if beauty is important), I simply Copy to Clipboard and Paste in Excel.

Yes, I agree, the Print function in MD leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore sometimes (if beauty is important), I simply Copy to Clipboard and Paste in Excel.
What Ron said: Export to a spreadsheet, don't print. Print from the spreadsheet.

When you use the Transaction Register, they are providing a data dump from the relational database. I much prefer using the "Cash Flow, Detailed" report. It allows you to display transactions for a specific account and with a set date range. Is it printable? Yeah, sorta.

- Rita

How do you regular MD users DL info from Banks and Credit Unions that are not in the List of Financial Institutions?

How do you regular MD users DL info from Banks and Credit Unions that are not in the List of Financial Institutions?

Almost all support download, the only one that does not work for me is Fidelity Credit Card, but then they support export to compatible format file and that file can be used for Quicken after.

Most of the ones I use are directly downloaded by MD, but some aren't such as Capital One credit cards. For those, I login to the website manually, and download the transactions. MD supports Quicken and Microsoft Money formats, just download one of those and it opens up in MD and imports the transactions.

Back
Top Bottom