Struggling to get off the OMY bandwagon

CarbonaNotGlue

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everyone. I’m a longtime lurker who has already done two years of OMY, but think I’m going to use a year end departure payoff as an incentive to make it final at the end of this year.

All my numbers check out with 100% in firecalc under all scenarios, thanks to being a debt free empty nester and having a pension that covers a majority of our yearly expenses, including employer subsidized healthcare (My expense numbers are solid as I have been tracking them for years with quicken). I even worked a cash flow/withdrawal schedule assuming average annual expense inflation of 6% for the next 20 years and I still come out with yearly cash flow in excess of expenses ranging from $60k to $30k with maximum withdrawals from investment accounts of no more than 1.5%, the higher years being due to excess cashflow coming from ira/Roth/401k retirement account withdrawals as my wife and I hit eligibility ages. We have a healthy mix of taxable and deferred retirement accounts in our portfolio, with the dividends in taxable accounts providing more than enough cash flow on their own if I choose to take them and not reinvest prior to age 59 1/2. This leaves my wife and I a nice cushion for travel and other fun.

However, I’m still struggling with the concept of retiring during a period of high inflation and economic uncertainty. What if inflation runs higher than the historical worst case 10 year average in the seventies and exceeds 9% for a decade? Unlikely, but who knows? My pension package is kind of quirky, not giving me a cola for the first 5 years, but then giving me a pretty decent one thereafter. Will this current inflationary period severely impair my pension in those first five years, causing me to rely more on withdrawals from my portfolio to make up the lost buying power? I have enough investments in my diversified equity portfolios to cover our increased expenses if inflation grew greater than my estimated 6% during those first 5 years but it would hurt to see my exit result in the severe impairment of my pension as part of my retirement cash flow.

What’s also killing me is the pile of money I’d be leaving behind. For example, the job has guaranteed me a 6% raise for the next two years if I stay on (it could be more based on my division’s performance, but not less). This also means, based on the quirky way my pension is calculated, that for each full year I stay, my pension will increase approximately $300 per month , making OMY all the more enticing.

On the other hand, I’m currently 56, have overseen my division for over 15 years, and am highly enticed by the thought of not having my life revolve around that and all the managerial demands that go with it. I don’t hate the job, and could continue on another OMY, but I would rather not and have really become enamored with turning the page on this phase of my life. Moreover, depending on which side of the family gene Pool I acquired, My lifespan will either be into the early 70s or I’ll make it to 100, so who knows how much time I really have to enjoy all of my accumulated investment assets.

All of this brings me back to that payout I mentioned previously. It will be in excess of $130k and will expire if unused by the end of this year. After that, the retirement payout will be $85k less. This is what is leaning me towards not going another OMY. I figured I could invest the net after tax amount of around $100k, since I don’t need the money (we currently maintain over $200k in cash available for one time expenses like a new roof, AC/Heating system, new car, etc). If all goes well, the investment returns should offset a small portion of what I’m giving up and give me a little more peace of mind walking away.

Well, that’s my story. Looking forward to contributing to the forum and getting your thoughts on my mental gymnastics. I know, I know - first world problems and we are blessed to have them.

Lots of OMY stories here on this site. Many of us (me included) ran so many "what if" analysis it effectively created paralysis and the easy out was OMY. If I heard you right, your WR is 1.5%? If so, it sounds like you just need to decide if you want to retire. It took me 2.5 years of downshifting from full work to no work (effectively OMY syndrome, less and less work each year on my terms) from my original plan to retire at age 55, but now that I am fully retired (yr 1) I can say that was the right decision for me. Not for the additional $$ saved, but to help me let go of my working identity.

Sound it out with your wife or a good friend. You will know when you know.

... What’s also killing me is the pile of money I’d be leaving behind. ...

Everyone who chooses to retire is leaving money behind. No way around this fact. If this issue is holding you back you will never retire.

Once your current assets are enough, based on your definition of "enough", then don't even consider what you are leaving behind.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
You can put that "quirky" COLA pension into FIRECalc, just enter that pension starting now and ending in 5 years, checking the non-inflation adjusted box. Then enter that amount starting in 5 years, checking the inflation adjusted box.

Do an "Investigate" for how much spending you can have and still be 100% success historically, and use a 44 year time frame for 100 years of age.

I couldn't quite decipher your total picture, but something tells me the actual amount you plan on spending will be significantly less that what FIRECalc reports.

Good luck, and tell us what it shows. And remember:

"could continue on another OMY, but I would rather not and have really become enamored with turning the page on this phase of my life."

You can't get that time back, it's not for sale at any price.

edit/add: Also agree with the recent Lewis_Clark post - there's really no sense in looking what you are giving up, unless you are borderline.

-ERD50

My plan is to quit w*rk as soon as I can. Then I will work more after I'm dead. :)

Only you can know "when". It sounds like "when" at the end of this year would be a good "when".

However, I’m still struggling with the concept of retiring during a period of high inflation and economic uncertainty. What if inflation runs higher than the historical worst case 10 year average in the seventies and exceeds 9% for a decade? Unlikely, but who knows?

Pull up some actuarial tables for another perspective in addition to FIREcalc and/or go to engaging data's chart that in addition to portfolio probabilities includes your mortality! Two of my favorite quotes from the FI community are "You will never be as young as you are right now" and "Time is our most precious non-renewable resource."

I delayed from 2020 to 2021 as the world was really weird at that time but super glad I quit in 2021!

As many have said before, if the numbers work: jump on in the water is fine! For the record, I was on the water but not in it today. There is a supreme joy when I pull out into Monday morning traffic with my SUP on top on my way to the water while everyone is going to work! :dance:

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It really comes down to forcing myself to ignore the dollars that I’m leaving on the table, let go, and FIRE already. As a very competitive a person who’s been caught up in asset accumulation for so long, this is really hard to do. However, like DawgMan, I’ve ran so many scenarios and sliced this every way I can imagine and really am in the “have enough” camp. I just need to accept leaving dollars on the table and not look back. Even without the pension, I currently have over 54 times my expenses saved up in the investment portfolios (maybe 53 after today, lol!) I have a diversified dividend growth portfolio consisting of around 50 stocks, a larger index fund portfolio, and a smaller cash/Bond portfolio. The index fund portfolio is mostly tax deferred and the dividend portfolio is mostly taxable.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It really comes down to forcing myself to ignore the dollars that I’m leaving on the table, let go, and FIRE already. As a very competitive a person who’s been caught up in asset accumulation for so long, this is really hard to do. However, like DawgMan, I’ve ran so many scenarios and sliced this every way I can imagine and really am in the “have enough” camp. I just need to accept leaving dollars on the table and not look back. Even without the pension, I currently have over 54 times my expenses saved up in the investment portfolios (maybe 53 after today, lol!) I have a diversified dividend growth portfolio consisting of around 50 stocks, a larger index fund portfolio, and a smaller cash/Bond portfolio. The index fund portfolio is mostly tax deferred and the dividend portfolio is mostly taxable.

Funny... your angst is very normal, at least those of us who were lucky enough to retire on our own terms. There is always a black swan out there that can make you second guess... "is now the time?". I anticipated I would retire and SORR would hit me... and it did. I planned accordingly and frankly have not blinked. All my over analysis and down market experiences have helped me get comfortable with the ying/yang of the markets. Once you cross over to the other side you will have a new problem... "how am I going to spend all of this money I saved?" No $hit, I probability that will be your next challenge!:confused:

Let's be clear -- there are basically zero legitimate financial reasons that you need to wait OMY. You've over-analyzed it seven ways from Sunday, and short of the Armageddon, you'll be just fine.

The only real question that remains: What will make you most happy? If you retire, what are you moving on to? It doesn't seem that you are running from anything at work, but you still need something to move TOWARD. What becomes your "Why"? Whether you're going to be working or retired, you need to figure out how you're going to fulfill your life. Some people are honestly happier to continue working. If you & your wife are happy with that situation, don't feel guilty for wanting to still keep working! Or if you're eagerly looking forward to something on the other side of retirement (travel, volunteer work, sitting on the porch with a shotgun, whatever), get over your insecurities, trust yourself, and go follow your retirement dreams!

Everyone is different, but my story is that I retired at 54 and have had a great 15 years of doing whatever I want and I still have twice what I retired with, which was before the Great Recession hit.

At some point you are trading time you will never get back for dollars you will never spend. Think about that, it takes a while to fully recognize what it actually means.

Since you have managed a division, you know there is a cost to indecision - the less time you will have in retirement. The moment of retirement is the scariest financial moment, but no matter how many times you continue to plan, you still won't be able to see the future. I think what most folks here would tell you is that a there have been ups and downs, but that over time, the financial part of retirement fades in interest and importance, they have enough.

Start to think about what you will do in retirement - not only do you need some hobbies in retirement, you need some pleasure to focus your brain on, not just the fear of the unknown.

I wish you the best in your decision but personally I don't think you are ready to retire. I say that from reading your post and my impression is you aren't ready.

Stay working till you don't question yourself on the things that make you want to stay now.

In the last couple weeks, I lost 3 people I have knew well from age 60 to 67 years old. I give thanks each day that I retired early, and I left a lot of money on the table also. You will always leave money on the table when you retire no matter when it is.

Good Luck!

I wish you the best in your decision but personally I don't think you are ready to retire. I say that from reading your post and my impression is you aren't ready.

Stay working till you don't question yourself on the things that make you want to stay now.

In the last couple weeks, I lost 3 people I have knew well from age 60 to 67 years old. I give thanks each day that I retired early, and I left a lot of money on the table also. You will always leave money on the table when you retire no matter when it is.

Good Luck!

I must agree with street. I'm coming up on 3 yrs of retirement. Retired at 58 at the top of my career. Left a C-suite position with a company I really liked, a great leadership team, and left a bunch of money on the table. Also left on my terms as everyone was shocked with my announcement. I did about 2 tours of OMY. In the end, the internal awareness of the ticking clock of life, and the pull to do something more meaningful with my remaining time here on earth was compelling and helped to dim all of the anxiety of such a monumental decision. Walking away on top and leaving a pile of cash makes no sense...until it does. You will no when it's time. Perhaps you're not quite there yet. I can agree with the other posters that it was the best decision I've made. In 3 short years my portfolio has survived 2 recessions and a pandemic, and is still worth much more than when I retired. And the experiences I've had have been priceless.

It really comes down to forcing myself to ignore the dollars that I’m leaving on the table, let go, and FIRE already.

Whether to retire is not a financial question for you.

You have way 'more than enough'. It doesn't make sense getting too hung up on having even more than 'more than enough'. It does make sense to focus on what you want / what makes you happy.

If you don't feel you are ready to retire and don't know what you would do with yourself all day, that is perfectly okay. You may not be ready.

But if you do have retirement goals / plans / hobbies, well then time's a wasting.

We are all just getting older. As the saying goes for folks our age, this is likely the best year of the rest of your life. How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It really comes down to forcing myself to ignore the dollars that I’m leaving on the table, let go, and FIRE already.

Anyone can work longer and make more money. The real accomplishment is knowing the difference between "more" and "enough".

OP, you have a COLA'd pension in 5 years, kind of still like your job, are worried about the economy, and have plenty of $$ to FIRE.

Don't do this on the computer. Hand-write all the positives in one column and negatives in another column. There's something about writing things out rather than typing them. Once on paper, add all the gnarly details. Add all the what-ifs. Set that paper aside and come back to it, reread it. I believe this will make your mind at ease whatever decision you make. Either way, you are good you have green grass on both sides. This discussion is more about your comfort zone. And how you'll feel once you make the decision. It could take a couple of months.

We're all facing this economic turmoil. One never knows what's around the corner. You just have to be comfortable with what you decide.

Peace.

It sounds like you have your budget and expense analysis down pat, with 100% result in firecalc.
You have already done 2 OMY's, and are still debating.
Like others have said, a Pro/Con list, if not done already a million times, may be helpful.

What keeps you at your job, besides money?
What makes you want to retire, what will you retire too?

You can always earn more money.
Your time on Earth is finite.

Best wishes for making your decision.
My vote is to retire and enjoy all life has to offer.

Carbona, you've received a lot of good thinking from other members here so I really don't have much to add except that you are in good company. Making that decision, especially in your 50s, and "going public" with it, is not easy. However, there are few here who did it with solid financials like you have who regret taking that big step. There is much you can do with your time, talents, and money that will likely be fulfilling in ways you can't even imagine now. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

At some point you are trading time you will never get back for dollars you will never spend. Think about that, it takes a while to fully recognize what it actually means.

So true! The concept was foreign to me until someone showed me this site a few years ago: https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

In short by the time you are 80 50% of us will be dead. The likelihood of running out of money is outweighed by dying first.

Attachments

• newplot.png
    newplot.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
You might want to check into a a matching strategy for your retirement investments. It does take into account inflation and does not rely on stock market returns for funding basic expenses - Matching strategy - Bogleheads.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone. I'll keep you posted as I work my way down this path.

I deferred ER until 55, partly due to wanting to travel more, and to be able to buy a house and have a better lifestyle. The part that worked out great was buying a home in 2020, before the appreciation really started. The part that didn't was that I missed out on 2 years of travel due to COVID. At 56, your health is likely as good as it will ever be, and if there's anything you'd like to do other than w$rk, then now's the best time to get started!

Many folks here mention that it is best to "retire to" something, rather than "retire from" something. Those "to" things becomes more important than the "froms".

One of the "froms" you have to be able to release is "more money". Everyone who had the ability to retire left money on the table. For example, because of a project I rescued, my job would have been guaranteed for at least another 18 months, at a very good salary along with work "perks". But I had been through OMY for several years already; at that point, "mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!" no longer held its allure; the time and freedom to do what I wanted did - and I had a lot of things to retire to.

While the economy has seen better times, with a SWR of 1.5%-2% your spending is effectively isolated from the ups and down of the economy. It becomes more of a "how much will of leave to my heirs" situation (which IMHO should be secondary to enjoying your retirement). If things turned to where you were impacted at that withdrawal level, it would be a zombie apocalypse roving bands with pitchforks and torches with lawlessness ensuring everywhere human sacrifice cats and dogs living together scenario - and money would be the least of one's problems :).

So, in my view, the question is, "is what you want to retire 'to' more important than the money you would be retiring 'from' ?"

This really hits home for me!

OP, it really sounds to me like you have your finances on solid ground. You should also be asking yourself how retirement would impact you mentally. Do you have plans? Will you miss running a division and all the "power" (and maybe headaches if you enjoy solving problems). Most of your post is about money. You sound like you are in good shape. So what will that extra $300 per month actually mean to you?

My name on here is SecondAttempt because I was supposed to be retired by now. I think I posted why I am not when I first got on this forum so I will not repeat except to say there was a divorce and a job I really liked. The divorce was largely because my ex-wife was a college professor and department head with a lot going on. Retirement did not suit her well mentally. I'm not talking mental illness here, just that she had a lot of trouble slowing down and no longer having her power and influence. I still have the job and like where I work but the project I loved was completed a couple of years ago and now I am not fond of the tasks I have now.

I also come up with 100% success in FIREcalc. Financially I could pull the trigger tomorrow. But for reasons I explained in a post a few months ago, I have chosen to stick it out for a bit. I picked a date and just passed the 1.75 year mark. I have an app on my phone counting down the weeks. For me that is enough. And if something ticks me off tomorrow...

I think you need to forget about the money stuff and think deeply about how retirement will affect you and your wife then make a decision based mostly on that. You have the luxury of being confident you have enough money which gives you the ability to make your decision based on other factors that are important to you.

If things turned to where you were impacted at that withdrawal level, it would be a zombie apocalypse roving bands with pitchforks and torches with lawlessness ensuring everywhere human sacrifice cats and dogs living together scenario - and money would be the least of one's problems .

—————————-

Some really good comments but this one is the winner, LOL! Thanks and point well taken!

Back
Top Bottom