What is your portfolio asset allocation?

I'm using the Portfolio Watch results from Vanguard. I believe that Portfolio Watch looks through the funds to the underlying securites. Since my funds are mostly index funds they are mostly fully invested in their respective security types and hold minimal cash.
It is well-known that the Vanguard Portfolio Watch tool is fatally flawed. It actually does not look through many funds to the underlying securities. The Morningstar Portfolio X-ray tool does however, so it is much better.

Vanguard PW tells you nothing about the large:mid:small ratio of your foreign funds. When it does a style-grid of your assets, it is only including domestic funds (not stocks!) and excluding foreign assets. Yes, it clearly labels what it is doing, so you should not be fooled, but many folks don't read carefully.

It is well-known that the Vanguard Portfolio Watch tool is fatally flawed. It actually does not look through many funds to the underlying securities. The Morningstar Portfolio X-ray tool does however, so it is much better.

Vanguard PW tells you nothing about the large:mid:small ratio of your foreign funds. When it does a style-grid of your assets, it is only including domestic funds (not stocks!) and excluding foreign assets. Yes, it clearly labels what it is doing, so you should not be fooled, but many folks don't read carefully.

I just ran both for my portfolio and the results were very similar:

Asset Allocation PW X-Ray
Stocks 61.4% 62% (50% US, 12% Foreign)
Bonds 38.6% 38% (28% Bonds, 10% Cash)

Stocks
US 81.6% 81%
International 18.4% 19%

Large Cap 64% 75%
Mid Cap 28% 18%
Small Cap 8% 6%

Bonds
Credit Quality
High 28.2% 37%
Med 71.8% 63%
Low
Interest Rate Sensitivity
High 71.8% 63%
Med 28.2% 37%
Low

Average expense ratio 25 bps 25 bps

While I admit that I like the Morningstar style-boxes better, the results are so similar I think that "fatally flawed" is a bit of an overstatement, at least for my relatively simple portfolio.

Married, 62 and 59. Retired 3 yrs ago

47.4% in various Vanguard stock index funds (mostly VTSMX)
23.8% in Vanguard money market
23.9% in dividend producing stocks
4.9% in purely speculative stocks
0% in Bonds

note: I made some good money in a Vanguard Bond Fund (and got out) and with a 6% CD at PenFed that matured. For a while, I'm ok with 23.8% of my money temporarily in a money market.

I watch my acct at Vanguard closely and I may lighten up on stocks in January as I have been real lucky with those dividend producing stocks and speculative stocks.

Back
Top Bottom