Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am the outlier.
Rental Real Estate 7%
Angel Investments 6%
MLP 8%
Shorts and options typically around 2-3%

Plus a bunch of individual stocks and bonds. Only about 30% of my assets are in Index funds.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

3-4% is my "fun" money. I buy individual stocks with good dividends in companies I like. I figure at worst, I'll learn how stupid investing in individual stocks is. If things don't hit worst case scenario, I'll collect my dividends and maybe have some stock appreciation.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

It all depends what you consider experimental. About 12 years ago I started a small individual stock portfolio as an experiment. It is currently worth ~1.5% of my investment portfolio, and currently consists mostly of dividend stocks, though there has been a lot of capital appreciation recently. I don't trade much. Over the years as I have been learning more, it has become less experimental and more value/growth. OTOH, about 8 years ago I did invest a small amount of money (<1%) in a biotech startup. It had a great business proposition and was doing very well for a while but went belly up in the Great Recession. That is an experiment I am not likely to repeat.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like to earn 12% overall and to keep it simple. Therefore, based on the rule of 72, I just put entire portfolio on red every 6 years.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
1.62%

Google it...
Does that stuff work!
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I like to earn 12% overall and to keep it simple. Therefore, based on the rule of 72, I just put entire portfolio on red every 6 years.
.. I assume you bring red spray paint for the wheel to help your odds?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

10% made up of MLPs, T, MO, SO, YHOO. The other 90% is index ETFs & Vanguard funds.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

2% experimental, consisting of individual stocks and ETFs. That is the amount I'm willing to lose completely without any impact to my finances.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

A touch under 3%. I originally started about 20 years ago with $5K worth of individual stocks, and it's grown significantly over the years, mostly due to lucky guesses and neglect. It's a great lesson, proving that a monkey with darts can outperform trained financial experts. Whenever I get a wild hair to move outside my financial plan I look at my various choices, both the winners (Apple, Brk.b) , the losers (Enron, WorldCom), and the winner/losers (Cisco, Pfizer), and I realize that I have no idea why some succeeded and others failed. I still do occasional trading (every couple of years), mostly to reset cost bases when my tax bracket is low.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #30

The most interesting part of this thread has not been the percentages but rather what investments posters consider experimental.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I currently have $2k I just moved to Lending Tree a couple months ago to play around with seeing if I could get the 9% returns they claim.

Otherwise, the rest is mostly in Vanguard index funds or real estate.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

10% of my portfolio is in my experimental investing account right now although it was closer to 7% at the start of the year. That account has a 40.2% return YTD and is almost always 50% or more cash.

But regular markets are what, up 23% YTD? This is one of those years where you can look smart but really just got lucky with a rising market.

An example of one of my experiments in that account is holding 3 Apple $400 Jan 2015 calls and having sold short 3 Apple $520 April 2014 calls. It has profited quite nicely from the roughly $75 per spread purchase price, currently closer to $100 per spread. I have a fair confidence of getting the full $120 in April based on a gut feel of Ipad sales. Actually if I am lucky and Apple is right around $519 I could probably get $125. (multiply these by 300 for actual money)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
10% of my portfolio is in my experimental investing account right now although it was closer to 7% at the start of the year. That account has a 40.2% return YTD and is almost always 50% or more cash.

But regular markets are what, up 23% YTD? This is one of those years where you can look smart but really just got lucky with a rising market.
Good returns there Fermion. Unfortunately physics teaches us that fermions have the property that only one particle can occupy one quantum state at any given time. So we cannot duplicate your returns. You realize that you have made us all feel lousy about our double digit returns now?

Just to get the record straight, M* shows returns by asset classes. The US returns YTD vary from 25.6 to 33.1%. Link here: Morningstar.com: Fund Category Returns

We should realize that bull markets make us all geniuses. My IQ has really shot up this year.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #34

About 4%. Although it started as 1.25% a couple years ago��
Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
The majority of my portfolio consists of index funds and VG Wellington and Wellysly. About 92%. I also have about 3% in cash.

Then I have a Fidelity account that I use to play around with Sector funds. I have been keeping track of my core funds rate of return since 2009 (and of course my FIDO fun account)

So far the fun account is ahead by about .6%. But I might still hit a home run with one of the Sector funds and then is "Go on a cruise time"
I've learned from numerous mistakes not to invest in individual stocks. I keep about 1 - 2% in cash and once in a while I spot a buying opportunity with SPXL (3X the S&P 500 index) and so I'll jump in for a few days or weeks and get out. But for the most part I just hold mainly the S & P 500 index.
ETFs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
A touch under 3%. I originally started about 20 years ago with $5K worth of individual stocks, and it's grown significantly over the years, mostly due to lucky guesses and neglect. It's a great lesson, proving that a monkey with darts can outperform trained financial experts. Whenever I get a wild hair to move outside my financial plan I look at my various choices, both the winners (Apple, Brk.b) , the losers (Enron, WorldCom), and the winner/losers (Cisco, Pfizer), and I realize that I have no idea why some succeeded and others failed. I still do occasional trading (every couple of years), mostly to reset cost bases when my tax bracket is low.
Most of my "winners" have been the stocks I bought at the deepest parts of the 2008 Bear market (HOG and IRBT), others have been long holding (>10 years) such as MAT, NOC and EXC. I too owned some WorldCom at the urging of my financial manager at SmithBarney (who I fired in 2002). By the time it all works out, I should be at about the same returns as just holding an S&P500 index fund
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

100% of invested $.

AFIK past performance is not a predictor of future results. OTOH I do get a little under $30.- per month form a defined benefit pension, for life. Hey it covers coffee and tips for a few days per month.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
100% of invested $.

AFIK past performance is not a predictor of future results. OTOH I do get a little under $30.- per month form a defined benefit pension, for life. Hey it covers coffee and tips for a few days per month.
Not sure $30/mo would cover my coffee habit...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am the outlier.
Rental Real Estate 7%
Angel Investments 6%
MLP 8%
Shorts and options typically around 2-3%

Plus a bunch of individual stocks and bonds. Only about 30% of my assets are in Index funds.

Wait a minute - Rental Real Estate is experimental? We are in rental real estate, property loans, a lot on a cul-de-sac looking over the Columbia river that is slated to get a spec house, and cash. Thus far this year our worst performing investment is with Vanguard - the $ sitting in VG money market from my closeout sale of our small stock market holdings last fall. What a market timer I am!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Experimental is in the eye of the beholder. A previous poster also noticed it.

If a poster does something he thinks might get a frown from the majority of the posters or if it is not widely practiced , he calls it experimental.

I call everything experimental, even cash, because I do not believe that any of the asset classes guarantees me a happy return. Even when an asset class that under/overperforms eventually reverts to the mean, the process may take 15-20 years, and that's a large chunk if not the remaining of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The most interesting part of this thread has not been the percentages but rather what investments posters consider experimental.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote