Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #61
Originally Posted by riskadverse View Post
Depending on who's buying, even as a Californian, I might go for this solution.
Just for fun I did a little analysis. California is one of those odd states that sends more money to the Federal government than it gets back. As an independent country, with the state getting all the current Federal tax cashflow, it's financial problems go away.

Note that California also has, in the California National Guard and reserves, the largest national guard force in the nation, at a strength of 18,000 Army and 4,900 Air Force. There is also a California State Military Reserve, which includes a very small naval branch (military lawyers and strategists, primarily in an advisory role). Not a huge force, granted, but roughly similar in size to Denmark or Norway.

As an economy, California has a GDP of 1.73 trillion dollars(2006), making it the 10th largest in the world. The state is a net exporter of computes and electronics, transportation, non-electrical machinery, agriculture, and chemicals.

California going independent or being sold off looks like a good deal for California or the buyer, and maybe not so good a deal for the USA.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets
As no one bothered to answer the question the first time, I will re-ask: couldn't the US maybe give Hawaii to China as PIF for all our debt?

Joe2aT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
A lot of Hawaii is owned by Japan. So probably the better bet is to sell Hawaii to Japan.

Actually my idea is to rent out the military much as Switzerland did during the middle ages and Renaissance with Swiss mercenaries. I am pretty sure that Pakistan, India, and much of Africa would pay big bucks for Aircraft carrier group, or a few squadrons of stealth planes.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Joe2aT View Post
As no one bothered to answer the question the first time, I will re-ask: couldn't the US maybe give Hawaii to China as PIF for all our debt?
I thought the original question was "Where to invest should the US go bankrupt??"

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
According to several groups here in the Islands, Hawaii isn't the US's to give away!

Personally, if we're going to sell something, how about NJ - no make that DC!
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
[...] And lest I be remiss - a little pssst Wellesley so we can feel better. [...]
Do you mean Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington Fund?

Don't just do something; stand there!

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote