Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?

Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?

• The authorized dealer where I purchased the car

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • Another authorized dealer for the make of my car

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • A national/state franchise shop, e.g. Sears, if so name it

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • An independent local mechanic

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I do it myself

Votes: 45 41.3%

• Total voters
youbet said:
You betcha! If you've paid two times to have someone read a check engine light code, and found out you need to tighten your fuel cap, you've already paid as much as a basic ODBII costs.

My mom left her cap loose on purpose so it would come off easier so had to pay to have them tell her not to do that.

Hey Redduck... where do you live... I need to get one like that!!!

I take my Acura to the dealer for the oil changes while it is still in warranty.. I follow the on board computer which tells me when the oil is 'used'... it is about 6 to 7K miles between oil changes...

My OLD car is done by an independent... do preventative maintenance as I don't want to wait until something breaks and leaves me stranded..

dealer when under warrenty. But the dealer is more expensive and more difficult to get to - across town. So, since all of our cars are now old we use an independent who specializes in Japanese cars (we have a civic, odessy and miata). Exception are oil changes and tires. tires from chain and oil changes might be at the tire place when rotating (if we remember) or Wal-Mart. We stay away from oil change chains - they always push more unneeded stuff.

Bikerdude said:
What maintenance? :confused: New cars since solid state ignitions and fuel injection don't really need anything except oil change and filters. Air and fuel filter every 30K. Plugs are all that’s needed for tune up at 30, 50 or 100K depending on year of new car. Coolant change every 3 yrs. or 5 yrs. or 100K with new cars.

Check the brakes every 30K or so. More often if you ride them or do a lot of city stop and go.

The other stuff the dealers try to sell you is mostly useless. Actually it's better for you and your car the less they touch it. :eek:

I'm not much of a car guy, but I try and do the basic stuff myself. Plugs, oil, air filter, fuel filter, coolant etc. I've noticed that a lot of the items in the 15k/30k/60k services either don't apply to my car or are pretty minor. For example, my Nissan dealership says that they change plugs at 30k, but my car takes platinum tipped plugs that shouldn't be replaced till 60k. At least half of the items are "check" items ("check air filter", "check windshield wiper fluid") which I can do myself. To make matters worse, they don't include things like a transmission flush or a coolant change in the standard 30k/60k services, you have to pay extra for those.

At my dealership, an oil change takes about 30 min (@ $25), 15k service takes 45 min ($70), 30k takes 90 min ($175) and 60k takes (120 min). It makes me wonder just how much they actual do for say a 15k service, if it only takes about 15 min longer than an oil change!

Thanks everyone for the great replies! Looks like we have a lot of do-it-yourselfers on this board (imagine that!) and a bunch that prefer a trusted mechanic. In talking to my neighbor over the weekend, he recommended a mechanic right around the corner, so I'll give that a shot. Thanks again and happy motoring.

Dude

Texas Proud said:
Hey Redduck... where do you live... I need to get one like that!!!

Well, since you ask, Texas Proud, I live in the Hollywood Hills (Los Angeles). About every three-four months or so, I race down the hill on a Saturday and get my oil changed--takes about 15 minutes (which includes the battery, hoses and tires being checked). The big problem is that I've become dependent on this guy. I wanted my next car to be a Lexus, but it looks like it's going to be another Acura instead. I guess there are worse things in life.

I use a franchise oil changer place for my oil changes. It's convenient because I don't need an appointment and they're usually done in 20 minutes. Everyone complains about how they try to sell unnecessary things and that is true, but it's easy to avoid. I've developed a little script for when I go there:

Please
Don't adjust the tire pressure [to the wrong levels you think my car needs]
Don't clean my windows [with your dirty rag]
Don't add any wiper fluid [I use RainX]
Don't bother pulling the engine air filter, I'm not going to replace it [I replace it myself on schedule]
Don't bother pulling the cabin air filter, I'm not going to replace it [and besides you always end up disconnecting my stereo system whenever you access it]

Once I've rattled all that off, nobody tries to sell me the $100 engine flush service.

Had to take one of the cars in for service yesterday. I use the dealer. [I have not found a reliable independent mechanic]. The car had 100k miles... so it was a for a large sched maintenance trip plus, my battery went dead, needed tune up plugs, wires, brakes, rotors, etc...

$1,100 was the damage.

Oh well. I have had the car for 10 years. I am hoping to drive it for another 2 or 3 years.

I selected the authorized dealer where I bought the car, but --

The last time we took my Solara in for service (a couple of weeks ago), I told the DH as we left that the service was bad enough I wasn't sure I'd go back.

SOMEONE -- whether Toyota corporate, that dealership, or just that service manager -- places an inordinately high value on the customer dealing with the same person from making the appointment, getting the car in, and any contact after the car's in. It sounds good in theory, but in practice, what it has meant for me is a ten to fifteen minute wait for Service Guy I Talked To to get free, while there are other guys available to help me.

Honestly, I don't care whether or not I talk to the same person -- I place a higher value on getting the car in for service and then getting on with my life while they work on it.

The Infiniti dealer where DH has his car serviced, OTOH, has no such fixation. We get in and out very quickly there.

Back
Top Bottom