Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?

Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?

• The authorized dealer where I purchased the car

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • Another authorized dealer for the make of my car

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • A national/state franchise shop, e.g. Sears, if so name it

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • An independent local mechanic

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I do it myself

Votes: 45 41.3%

• Total voters

Dude

Recycles dryer sheets
We purchased a new 2006 Honda Odyssey minivan last summer. I'm trying to decide where to have it serviced. Does it make a big difference to resale value to have all maintenance done at an authorized dealer? Do dealers rip you off? This is the first new car I have ever owned so kinda learning the ropes here. I have serviced my own vehicles in the past but don't have the time to do it anymore. Thanks for participating 8)

I have a 2000 Camry Solara that has 33,000 miles on it. I checked "local or state franchise" because I take it to Spee-Dee, a local oil change and lube place, every six months or so. They change the oil, filters, and such, check the belts, battery, tires, windshield wipers, and so on. They seem pretty familiar with the scheduled services and occasionally suggest something and I always have whateveritis done. I had the first few servicings done at my Toyota dealer, and they are a terrible rip-off so after about 6 months I started going to Spee-Dee.

That's all it has needed for the past 7 years. It has never broken down in any way, even once. It did need a new battery once, which I got at Autozone (and Autozone installed it for me, too).

I will probably trade it in on a new one just like it when I retire. By then it will be 10 years old and will have about 45,000 miles on it. At that point, I doubt that the servicing record will make a whole lot of difference.

It is a mixed bag: Oil changes are done by Jiffy Lube, factory recommended maintenance (e.g. 60,000 miles, 90,000 miles, etc.) are done by a Lexus dealer.

Grumpy

A (same brand) dealer during the warranty period. After that I do it. Sold my last car to DS at 300,000 Km, passed safety on first test.

We use the dealers because they have the electronic diagnostic equipment and their charges are acceptable (though not the cheapest). We do not follow the strict cycle and we will have an oil change do independently.

I was having my Camry Solara serviced at Toyota but they have tried to rip me off too many times .Suggesting unneeded repairs and making it sound like my car will fall apart if I did not have it done .A few months ago I took it in for a front end alignment and I told them by power window was not working .They took off the panel and told me they'd have to order a new motor for $425 .Funny thing is just taking off the panel fixed the problem .The motor works fine .That was my last trip to the dealer .I love Toyotas but hate the service crap.

I use an independent shop. I think the temptation for dealers to do unnecessary work is almost irresistible since many of them don't have much of a profit margin on the cars they sell. I would hate to be in the new car business today with the readily available price/cost information a click away on the internet, and you have to believe it has really hurt margins for many dealers. The result is their maintenance shop has become a huge profit center for them and that's an even greater reason you could be sold services and repairs you don't really need.

Of course this isn't true of all dealers, but it keeps me away from them for anything other than warranty work.

If by scheduled you mean oil changes then I have a local shop do that. But if you mean tune ups, periodic checks and the like then the answer is none. My 2005 Ford Focus requires NO services for 100K miles, not plugs, air filters, coolant or anything. At 100K its just a plug & coolant change and go for another 50K miles. Just no scheduled services anymore.

We have found there is little difference between dealership and local outfits. Both do an excellent job. Even dealers compete with jiffylube on price. Our neighbor owns an auto service center. His work and prices are right out of "the book", just like the dealer's prices. But he doesn't give a free loaner car like the dealer. He will run a taxi service to drop/pick you at/up work/home though.

On the web and elsewhere, it is reported that Toyota engines sometimes are ruined due to a design flaw. Toyota disputes this and claims lack of changing the oil. About the only way around this is to have the oil changed in your Toyota at the dealer on schedule.

We bring our cars in to an independent shop every six months for fresh oil and filters and whatever scheduled maintenance is due. Makes for very reliable transportation. I keep the receipts of the visits for a couple of reasons. When a car is under warranty that’s proof you’ve had oil changes and such done. When selling a car it’s nice to show prospective buyers that you’ve had excellent maintenance performed on the car.

After getting the screw job from the local dealers, I use an excellent local independent. Does everything right, doesn't rip me off or push unnecessary work, and prices are fair. I don't care about maintenance records after the factorywarranty is up, since I will keep the cars until I have to pay someone to take them.

Over the 18 years I've owned the car: All of the above.

Last 5 years to an independent (which used to be a Ford franchise) once a year.

Mufflers and sometimes other stuff from Midas (am on 8th muffler) and they really do replace them for free if it's the only thing that needs replacing.

yakers said:
If by scheduled you mean oil changes then I have a local shop do that. But if you mean tune ups, periodic checks and the like then the answer is none. My 2005 Ford Focus requires NO services for 100K miles, not plugs, air filters, coolant or anything. At 100K its just a plug & coolant change and go for another 50K miles. Just no scheduled services anymore.

yakers,

I've found that when I wait until the full 100k miles to change plugs, they are very difficult to remove. (Based on a sample of the one time I did that!) Since four quality plugs cost only about $10, I change them at 50k miles or so. I also change the fuel and air filter. Odds are, it's fine to just let it go. But that's what I do.

I also keep time in mind. For example, I have a '99 F150 that I use only for fishing trips and has only about 35k highway miles on it, despite being 8 years old. I changed the plugs and filters based on the 8 years rather than the milage. Again, cost is minimal.

I try to do most maintenance items myself, although I've given up on some as not worth it anymore. For example, after changing my own oil for decades, the $10 - $15 dollars I save doesn't seem worth it anymore. This may also be related to my rapidly approaching geezer status.......putting the car up on the ramps and crawling under just hasn't seemed as appealing to me these past few years!

I use a local Jiffy Lube for oil changes. The owner actually runs the shop himself on weekdays and knows I want just an oil change.....don't try to sell me filters, wiper blades, etc.......and I always have a coupon! He's also pretty good about quickly checking the CV joints, exhaust system, shocks, etc., while he's under there. Like I said, crawling under the car just isn't as appealing to me anymore as it used to be!

I have an independent mechanic I've been doing business with for years and that is very handy. For example, on one of the cars, the fuel filter is a task to change from above. So, I'll buy one and go to my mechanic and we'll run it up on the lift and change the filter. We're done in ten minutes and I hand him a twenty......no receipt, no Visa card. Just hand him a twenty and shake hands.

We use all of the above. We have a friend that worked for a dealer for years, we take it to him, he lets us know what it is and what it should cost, we then take it to the dealer and don't let them pull any extras on us. If things arn't under warranty we let our friend do the work. Local lube place for oil changes and we do what ever minor things we can handle ourselves. Dh does all the oil changes and maintenence on the Harleys, repairs are done by a friend.

We usually use a local repair chain (Purcell). They are in walking distance and have always done a good job. They tell us what is needed and what is optional. We also use Jiffy Lube when we are in a hurry.

brewer12345 said:
I don't care about maintenance records after the factorywarranty is up, since I will keep the cars until I have to pay someone to take them.
Apparently, you will pay less if you have all maintenance records.

LOL! said:
Apparently, you will pay less if you have all maintenance records.

But basically, I don't much care. By the time I am done with my cars, they are worth $1000 if I am lucky. 10% either way is negligible, in the grand scheme of things.

BMW - All maintenance is included in the price of the car.

Honda S2000 - Do it myself. The dealer does not have specific diagnostic equipment for your car, don't buy into their lies. Anybody can buy a generic ODBII scanner and get the codes off their car.

saluki9 said:
Anybody can buy a generic ODBII scanner and get the codes off their car.

You betcha! If you've paid two times to have someone read a check engine light code, and found out you need to tighten your fuel cap, you've already paid as much as a basic ODBII costs.

I use the dealership I bought the car at.
If the car sucks, I won't buy from the dealer again and won't recomend them to friends. If the service is sub-par or I get cheated I won't buy from the dealer again, nor recomend the dealer to friends.

The dealer knows this (I told them:)). So there are consequences to the dealer if the service or product are poor.

What maintenance? :confused: New cars since solid state ignitions and fuel injection don't really need anything except oil change and filters. Air and fuel filter every 30K. Plugs are all that’s needed for tune up at 30, 50 or 100K depending on year of new car. Coolant change every 3 yrs. or 5 yrs. or 100K with new cars.

Check the brakes every 30K or so. More often if you ride them or do a lot of city stop and go.

The other stuff the dealers try to sell you is mostly useless. Actually it's better for you and your car the less they touch it. :eek:

With my new car I have a local mechanic change the oil just to stay in touch with him. Don't use the "chain" oil change places, they hire jerks and sell you stuff you don't need. Get a good local mechanic. Ask around town and you'll get recommendations. Good mechanics are worth their weight in gold IMHO.

Warranty work has to be done by a dealer.

I do all the simple maintenance on my truck and motorcycles. On the motorcycles I do just about everything except adjust the valves.

I pretty much do everything via a chain maintenance place (midas)--I think that these places vary WIDELY depending on the skills/ethics of the owner of the particular franchise. I stumbled onto one of the good ones about 3 years ago and have taken everything to him (or someone recommended by him for a few specialty things) ever since. Don't always get the cheapest price, but they talk to me like an intelligent human being, don't try to upsell me, and have met or exceeded every promise they've made to me. While I do want to take an auto repair class this summer or sometime when i have some time on my hands just for my own education, I have no interest in doing anything more involved than the occasional oil change. The time saved is worth the additional expense.

We visit the local / independent shop for any auto ailments and/or routine maintenance. The late owner (son took over shop when father died) was a client of my father-in-law's law firm. I think he helped him incorporate and start up his business.

I like the personal attention, and I think they are honest. I've never felt that they are trying to oversell a car repair.

;) We show up with a couple of boxes of donuts once a year when we are having the oil changed. It's the least we can do. As part of our LBYM philosophy, we buy our vehicles "pre-owned" and drive them for 10+ years.

I use an independent to work on my Acura. He only works on Acuras and Hondas. Lets people use his loaner car with no charge. He's incredibly inexpensive and always does a good job. I ended up selling him my 10 year old Honda, which he fixed up really well and now it's his loaner car. He once fixed my old Honda's air conditioner for about $1.86 (it needed a fuse or something like that). The dealer wanted about $860 for a compressor and some other expensive part. The independent didn't even want me to give him the $1.86 but I did anyway (I thought it was the right thing to do). I would only have my car serviced at a dealership if I had to (recall or warranty situation). I wouldn't let a dealer even change the oil because in the past it always included a phone call telling me the car needed $300 in repairs.

Back
Top Bottom